Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Trial separation - useful 'space' to sort issues...or inevitably 'the end'? Also what to tell DC.

(40 Posts)
triathlonmum Sun 22-Sep-13 20:26:22

So after some unhappy times and seemingly unable to sort out our issues (which stem from a very difficult time when we had small kids, my DF was very ill and I was I'll too) my DH has said the only option now is for him to move out and get some space to sort his head out. This probably involves a 6 mth rental commitment (he won't consider staying with family/friends as says this will not give him the space he needs). I don't see I've much choice but to go with this, he has agreed to simultaneous counselling. However this will rip apart our children's worlds ..they are age 9 and 7. What do I tell them? I don't want to give them false hope. And would be really interested to hear other experiences of using a trial separation to see whether things can be mended. Should we see each other and still spend time as a family? Or is it best to behave as we would sharing child care if permanently separated? I'm very hurt and upset but also confused about how to handle this. Thank you..

triathlonmum Mon 23-Sep-13 16:10:02

Cog, would you suggest separation prior to counselling then? I couldn't decide what was best. It all seems a bit chicken and egg.....

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 23-Sep-13 16:21:32

There's no hard and fast rule. What I'm seeing here is that he's saying he wants space. So give him space. But use the space to find some calm and do some thinking of your own rather than going into counselling sessions in your current emotionally exhausted state. If you're going to reconcile you have to do so from a position of strength, not desperation or loneliness. If you're going to split you also need to do so from a position of strength.

Was it you that pushed for the counselling or him?

ThePinkOcelot Mon 23-Sep-13 20:36:39

When my dh said he wanted to split, 2 years ago, I said no to his suggestion of a trial separation. I told him if he left that was it, no trial. To me, a trial separation would have left me hanging on a string not knowing what was happening. A bit like being in limbo. He left anyway.x

We were separated for about 4 months during which I and dds went to visit my sister in Australia. To cut a long story short, we did eventually get back together and are doing well now.

Trial separation just wasn't on the cards for me.

Tonandfeather Mon 23-Sep-13 20:53:20

Who is it suggesting that this separation is a 'trial'?

If it's him, I'd interpret that as 'enough time for me to get this affair out of my system or to see if the other woman is worth leaving for permanently.'

Tell everyone it's over. Including the children. To everyone else, say that he was the one who wanted to leave.

triathlonmum Mon 23-Sep-13 20:59:45

Pink, I wish I had a sister in Australia to visit ! Sounds like you were very strong, I don't feel that strong at the moment....

Cog he suggested counselling as a last ditch attempt to resolve what he refers to as the 'underlying issues' .....

On top of it all our cat died today and the DCs are distraught...

Tonandfeather Mon 23-Sep-13 21:06:07

Don't you think the counselling is a bit of a sop to say 'I tried everything'?

If he's having an affair, he won't admit that to a counsellor in front of you and it will be a waste of money. Counselling's expensive and I think you'll find it will just be a 'blaming you' exercise to justify leaving you for someone else. So you'll be poorer and you'll feel worse, but he will be able to tick a box to say he tried everything.

Really sorry about your cat. It never rains but it pours.

ThePinkOcelot Mon 23-Sep-13 21:23:51

So sorry about your cat triathlon.

I think he realised how much he actually missed us when we were away as we had left him that time rather than the other way round. It was a month over Christmas so it really hit him hard!

How do you think you will cope with a trial though? Will you be hanging on just willing the allotted time to go by? How will you feel if after the allotted time is up, he turns around and says he isn't coming back? You see to me, that would have felt like him leaving all over again and I just couldn't be in limbo for his given length of time. When I said no to the trial, he actually said that he couldn't (if he were me) go through a trial and understood why I said no.

In still look at him now sometimes, 2 years later, and think twat!

triathlonmum Mon 23-Sep-13 22:08:06

I think one session of counselling might give us an opportunity to decide exactly what is needed next (space? trial or not? how long? what is it we want to find out/resolve?) and might well put off any further until down the line.

I do agree about 'trial' being rather useless. For my own sake and also the DCs don't want two lots of upset. Also stops you getting on with your life....

Pink your final comment made me laugh. I'm looking at mine and thinking the same right now!

ThePinkOcelot Tue 24-Sep-13 17:05:13

Hi Triathlon, how are you doing today?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 24-Sep-13 17:19:48

"Cog he suggested counselling as a last ditch attempt to resolve what he refers to as the 'underlying issues' ....."

Does 'underlying issues' mean he thinks it's your fault?

ThePinkOcelot Tue 24-Sep-13 17:58:45

Hi Triathlon, how are you doing today? I'm

triathlonmum Tue 24-Sep-13 23:01:49

Cog...he thinks everything is my fault basically! He is also definitely a 'glass 1/10th full type, not really a happy positive sort. Not sure how much more dourness I can take tbh.

Pink thanks for asking. Am still very very tired but have been at work so distracted.
The DCs are bit more cheery today and taking cat trauma well. I think it hit DH last night when they were sobbing that his announcement of moving out is likely to be met with a similar reaction.

I'm not looking forward to the counselling one little bit... It feels like there is so much history to this after 14 years together and 10 married...how can we possibly begin to address it in an hour appointment. I wouldn't be surprised if he used it as opportunity to air a long list of complaints....

Letsadmitit Wed 25-Sep-13 01:34:03

Hey, I know you dread the counselingbut it would be good for you if you are feeling so low. You can go on your own and focus it all on how to deal with your feelings.

I know what lies ahead sounds unsurmountable at the moment, but I can assure you you will cope. Accept all help is offered to you that msy end up the base of some very good friendships that will stay with you for tears to come.

This will pass, honest. One day you will look back on your life and will see that actually it was for the best. Life with an unhappy individual is well, at best difficult at worse sheer misery.

I wouldn't try to push for shorter trial separations as this may backfire, let him go and carry in with your life. People don't move out without thinking long and deeply about it, so I would say he has moved on already.

Wellwobbly Wed 25-Sep-13 05:34:06

Cat, I think counselling is never a waste of time.

It sounds as though your H is depressed, and it is a pattern of male depression that they externalise rather than face the stuff within themselves. So, he takes true (that is what is so awful about this) issues about you / the marriage and pins all his unhappiness on those.

(the reality being that there is no such thing as a perfect person/perfect marriage and true intimacy is to accept and love a person flaws and all, and work within that context to sort things out, with respect, humour etc).

One of the dangerous urges depressed men have, is to FLEE. So somewhere 'out there' away from you is where happiness lies. And they normally start vocalising their crazy when 'she' is in place.

I think you should look hard for OW. Know that there is only one person you can look after right now, and that is you. Living with a depressed person is, literally, hell, and I have found out they need firm boundaries. A grown man having a toddler's temper tantrum is dangerous to a family, because of the [economic and other] power they wield.

triathlonmum Wed 25-Sep-13 08:30:29

Thanks lets, my friends are marvellous and to be honest having such great friends is the only way I've been able to survive the 'relationship' so far as I get all my support, laughter, fun, good times outside of the home with them.

Wellwobbly...your post really really strikes a chord with me. I identify completely with everything you say. Have you had similar issues?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now