Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So he said this......

(33 Posts)
GarlicBreath Fri 20-Sep-13 17:51:46

Been dating a man for just a month, went to his house last night, as I arrived he leaned in for a kiss and said "have you been eating garlic?"
My best mate said I should have laughed it off and I did try but felt gutted and like shit, he tried to get a bit frisky later and I just couldn't as all I could think about was my stinky garlic breath.
I was really pissed off and told him, he apologized but said I was too sensitive.
How would others feel?

Bogeyface Sat 21-Sep-13 01:36:32

I am the sort of person who would say to someone I knew well (and given that you have had sex, I would put him in that category!) "Blimey, you had garlic?!" When an ex BF I had a brief thing with years ago stank of it, I asked him if he had any and I had a nibble on a tiny bit.....problem solved!

Its a bit 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. He was a bit insensitive, but perhaps he feels close enough to you to say things like that and you were a bit over sensitive.

Bogeyface Sat 21-Sep-13 01:37:25

I have to agree that "gutted" is over doing it a bit, offer to make him some garlic bread and everyone is ok.

springybuffy Sat 21-Sep-13 02:07:23

I once ate so much garlic that an old lady at my parents' church had to sit down because she came over all faint with the fumes.

I can't honestly see what is wrong with this. You've been seeing him a month, so you've got to know one another a bit by now. So what if you smelt of garlic? So what? He couldn't care less.

However, you have not confirmed whether you had been eating garlic

If you hadn't, then I can see why you would be gutted. But not if you had been eating garlic.

can't quite see why you were gutted

CairngormsClydesdale Sat 21-Sep-13 04:13:32

If I know someone well enough to be physically intimate with them - e.g., have their tongue or penis in my mouth - I'm usually OK to say "gosh, you honk!". But maybe I'm old-fashioned.

CairngormsClydesdale Sat 21-Sep-13 04:15:12

Honestly, your reaction was bizarre. hmm Relationships are built on communication, honesty, openness and trust - "garlic breath" is rarely cited on divorce papers.

DrHolmes Sat 21-Sep-13 09:11:05

OP - Had you eaten garlic?

Xenadog Sat 21-Sep-13 09:19:36

Either he said it rudely or just asked the question because he felt comfortable enough with you to do so. If it bothered you that much then I wouldn't see him again as clearly it's hit a nerve and after a month life is too short to be wondering and worrying about a throw away comment. If it had been me I would have laughed and said yes I have.

LondonNinja Sat 21-Sep-13 10:20:24

OP, you do need to tell us if you had been eating garlic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now