Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How serious would you tell your 30 year old self to be about finding 'the one'?

(101 Posts)
Lastgasp Sat 31-Aug-13 12:05:36

I should say I don't actually believe in 'the one', but there are people we would want to marry/have kids with and people we would not.

I am approaching 30 and have been dating a lovely man for about six months. We have fun, I'm happy, but I know I don't want a future with him. There are reasons but I don't feel the need to unpick them here, as to me they are valid, and when you know, you know IYSWIM.

My question is, how long should I allow a relationship that makes me happy to continue, if I'm potentially missing out on locking down something long term? I frequently read posts on here by women who say that dating/meeting someone just gets harder and harder the older you get. I sometimes worry that I'm fundamentally immature and turning a blind eye to the fact that everyone around me is getting married etc. Should I continue with something that makes me happy until it naturally tails off, or do I need to be a bit more ruthless about finding someone I do feel a future with? This isn't really a biological clock issue as I absolutely don't want kids now, but I think I do one day.

I should add that he's never seemed fussed about marriage/babies etc so I don't feel I'm wasting his time at the moment.

Lastgasp Fri 08-Nov-13 08:58:39

Pinkpinot I'm sorry you've been through that.

MadBusLady if that man existed I would be smitten, but I've not met him yet, or at least not who's interested in me.

We weren't split up for very long, 3 weeks tops. But it was a busy time at work and I did see lots of friends etc so I wasn't sitting at home moping and watching Bridget Jones. But it's possible I just didn't give myself time to break the habit of him. But you're right in the phrasing, maybe I am challenging people to congratulate me for growing up but secretly hoping people give me a kick up the arse. I'm not sure I put much stock in blinding flashes though, I think slow realisations tend to be more stable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now