Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I being oversensitive?

(5 Posts)
AngiBolen Thu 22-Aug-13 08:47:53

Re; a comment from my mother.

I was asking her if should could look after my DC one day when I'm working. She asked what about the other days childcare I would need and I explained DH had been given two extra days holiday a year from work, and he would use those. I then went on to say he was told this at work a couple of weeks before he was told he would have his pay dramatically cut. It's a big thing for us financially.

DM's response was "Oh, it's like chocolate bars. They make them bigger then charge you more." (I think she actually meant they keep them the same price, but make them smaller, but that's not the point).

I feel I opened up to her about something important and she just waved it away with her hand. I don't know why I'm upset, as this is what she's like.

AndTheBandPlayedOn United States Thu 22-Aug-13 15:01:10

Dismissiveness is an ouch. sad
Hopefully you can depend on her for some childcare, but it sounds like you don't get much sincere emotional support from her as you say- if this is what she is like.

My only advice would be to try not to expect that kind of support from her, then you won't be disappointed. It does hurt, sorry.

CailinDana Thu 22-Aug-13 15:06:01

Sounds like my mother. I just don't tell her anything beyond the bare basics, that way I'm not disappointed.

AngiBolen Thu 22-Aug-13 15:55:34

I'm glad you don't think I'm just being a sensitive nutter. Usually I try not to tell her things but sometimes, because she's my mother, I forget.

I'm still confused about her response nearly nine years ago when I told her I had miscarried at 15 weeks and she said "Oh well, these things happen."

I guess she's more of a practical person.

mammadiggingdeep Thu 22-Aug-13 17:12:00

My mums amazing...but when I was feeling down about a break up with a boyfriend of 4 years she said "cone on darling, cheer up. You've got to realise you may never meet anyone again. Get used to being by yourself". She really is an amazing woman, does do much for the whole family but just CRAP at tje emotional stuff!!!!

Im lucky to have 2 sisters to go to instead...do you have siblings you can chat to instead if needs be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now