Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Books or films with narcissistic characters?

(110 Posts)
Biscuitsareme Tue 20-Aug-13 11:37:15

I've only recently 'discovered' narcissistic behaviour and it's been a real eye-opener to me. Now there are some characters in books and films that really hit me as narcissistic.

I'll go first:

Muriel's Wedding: Muriel's awful awful father

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell: the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair
(although Strange and Norrell have traits I suppose)

Any more?

dreamingoflavender Wed 28-Aug-13 22:51:32

Blanche Dubois is in Streetcar named Desire and I would say she's more obsessive/compulsive from what I remember of her.

If anyone has read The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams, Amanda Wing (the mother) is possibly a good example.

Bumpotato Sat 31-Aug-13 23:27:03

J R Ewing

FeijoaVodkaLovesHokeyPokey Sat 31-Aug-13 23:54:27

Regina and Mr Gold in Once Upon A Time (plus Regina's Mum, Hook and others)

CCTVmum Sun 01-Sep-13 04:58:52

91/2 weeks

Copycat

Gaslighting ( I have not seen this old film but this is where it comes from)

The joker in Batman

these are more psychopathic with nassicism characteristics (goes hand in hand)

colleysmill Sun 01-Sep-13 08:51:15

Gaslight is a marvellous film - very very creepy!

What about the character Svengali in George du Mauriers novel Trilby? I always thought he might be a narc.

bruffin Sun 01-Sep-13 10:03:46

Seventh Veil may not necessarily be a narc but a very psychologically creepy film.

Lottapianos Sun 01-Sep-13 10:11:59

Janice and Livia Soprano for sure

I'm not sure about Don Draper. He cares very deeply for Peggy and for Joan. He does dreadful self-destructive things and hurts people very badly but I do think he feels shame for it deep down. He has moments when he is kind to his children. He's certainly very impulsive and seems hellbent on sabotaging his own happiness and security. He's a fantastic character and I identify with his deep-down, well-hidden sense of aching sadness and loneliness. I'm not sure he's a narcissist but happy to be proved wrong smile

SpecialAgentCuntSnake Sun 01-Sep-13 10:43:24

Bill from Big Love, absolutely.

I see-saw on Nicki though.

bruffin Sun 01-Sep-13 11:44:47

House in some ways

NadiaWadia Mon 02-Sep-13 00:31:22

Well some of these are probably correct but I think we have to be careful of labelling every not-so-nice person as a narcissist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now