Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

is it ok to snoop on husbands texts

(34 Posts)
mpi Sat 03-Aug-13 08:20:16

my husband has, for various reasons which i understand, has 3 phones, but only uses ones. recently my daughter lost her phone and i asked my husband if she could borrow the oldest of the 2 phones he no longer used. His initial reply was that he did not know where it was, which seemed normal and feasible. so i looked for it and could not find it in the house, although i found the charger. about 1 day later he brought it home from work and said that he had forgotten that he had left it in the car as an emergency telephone. now at this point i thought that seemed odd, since one of us always has a phone with us when in the car in case of emergency...but i didnt consider why this had been said to me. After giving it my daughter to use my husband then kept asking me if everything was okay, that he thought i seemed distant...none of this was true...but combined with the phone appearing and his overdue worrying about me , it made me wonder if the 2 were connected. I accessed the bills on line for the phone and found that he had been texting, during work hour,s a number that i know is not in his or our friendship group, sometimes up to 6 to 7 times a day.
I want to ask him about this, but feel that he would think that i was distrustful and that it would annoy him. however my instincts keep reminding me that something is not adding up.
Shall i try to recover any deleted text messages and see for myself ..or should i ask him who the number is.
ps i have rang the number on several occassions and it just goes to answermachine

Roshbegosh Sat 03-Aug-13 08:22:03

Ask him. Don't do any more detective work, just ask.

GetStuffezd Sat 03-Aug-13 08:23:21

Agree. Ask him.

Would you normally look at the phone bills? just as a matter of house-keeping/ keeping on top of finances? Could you say "i was checking all the phone bills and there's a number I don't recognise - do you know it?"

mpi Sat 03-Aug-13 08:32:49

i would not normally look at his phone bill.....so admitting that i had seems like i was snooping...which i was

joblot Sat 03-Aug-13 08:46:32

I don't mind my phone etc being looked at. Secrecy suggests secrets. Have a look and if its innocent great , if not then you've discovered something you need to know that he wouldn't have freely told you. I'm not sure why asking is seen as useful- cheaters never hold their hands up and tell all. So look at the phone if your gut is suggesting a problem, thats my advice

LoveBeingItsABoy Sat 03-Aug-13 09:06:18

So you tell the truth, you said some weird things so I looked and this is what I found.

Distrustinggirlnow Sat 03-Aug-13 10:49:46

Unfortunately if you ask him, and if there is something amiss he will deny everything and delete the messages. So sadly if you want to know you will have to try and recover some messages. Are the texts recent ..?

If you can see some of the messages and they're to a work colleague about a golf tournament or something then you just don't say anything, but if they're the, "was lovely to see you again, night night you", type then that's completely different and u will have to ask him.

You must have your evidence first though, sorry, as he will deny, delete then minimise. hmm

Follow your gut feeling, it's rarely wrong! Whatever the texts are, it doesn't spell the end necessarily. But you cannot live with the uncertainty. You need to know the truth around the texts or you will make up a story in your head that's probably far worse than the truth blush

Bogeyface Sat 03-Aug-13 13:09:04

The big flag for me is the fact that he is saying you are distant. He is looking for evidence that you have found out his secret.

Sorry, but this doesnt look good.

Have you tried texting the number something along the lines of "Hey, tried to call you, everything ok?"

newbiefrugalgal Sat 03-Aug-13 13:23:59

Investigate.
I discovered an affair by a random look on a phone, not snooping just bored sitting waiting and his phone was there. I knew the password so he should have known better.
I didn't get denials thank goodness as I know that happens way to much on here. Deny deny deny

Squitten Sat 03-Aug-13 13:31:42

Whilst I would like to think you should just ask him straight out, he would obviously deny any wrong doing and then you've lost your evidence. If there is any way you can recover the messages first, then I would do it.

LoveBeingItsABoy Sat 03-Aug-13 14:27:26

He's already deleted anything otherwise he wouldn't have handed the phone over

Seenenoughtoknow Sat 03-Aug-13 14:39:52

People are always very quick to throw in the 'privacy' card, but I tend to think that if you are hiding stuff (phones/texts/emails etc), it's because you have stuff to hide.
If he is texting another woman, he will have told her he is giving the phone to your daughter so not to answer if anyone rings. Phone the number from a kiosk, or a friends mobile. Or type the number on google, if it's a business number it should come up.
I think it's all a bit suspicious and you now have every right to do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this. Your instincts are working, and this is whole situation has been discovered innocently, but needs uncovering properly with work. These things happen for a reason.

Supertrooper88 Sat 03-Aug-13 14:41:16

Before chatting to him i would check for txts and also make a note of the number
I would also be tempted to call the number using 141 to see who answers

MissStrawberry Sat 03-Aug-13 14:45:57

He is definitely guilty as why else would he randomly start asking if all is okay.

Mosman Sat 03-Aug-13 15:11:15

Of you think something is up it usually is, I wish I'd trusted my instincts.
Get one if those recovery program's for the computer and if it in.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 15:19:55

Why not call the number and ask 'Is that Jane?' and if they say 'No it's Sue,' then you say Oh I'm sorry your no. is in my DHs phone and he asked me to call Jane- I must have misdialled.'

Might put the wind up her and him.

Mosman Sat 03-Aug-13 15:42:07

She's tried calling it just goes to answering machine.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 15:44:12

Has she withheld the number when she dials?
Has she called from another number and not withheld it?

She could leave a message and say she was checking the bill and this number kept coming up so she wondered if it was an error and she was about to call the phone company.

Gruntfuttocks Sat 03-Aug-13 15:49:24

Where's the third phone? Can you look at that one? If he has been up to no good on the other phone, presumably he's switched to the other one now.
Keep digging.

mpi Sun 04-Aug-13 15:30:35

it has been good to receive all the messages which suggest that i am not being paranoid and that this does send alarm bells ringing.....i will try to get a programme to recover deleted messages.....i keep trying number and no answer, tried from different phones and withholding number, which is odd that it is never answered...however i noticed from the bills that he never rang the number only texted.
however, i think he senses that i am worried about something...and he has made such massive efforts to show me and tell me how much he loves to me....i wonder if he has got really worried about me discovering something and that in itself may make him realise what he has put at risk

ilovebowie Sun 04-Aug-13 16:31:53

Hi OP, this sounds really suspic to me. Have you tried googling the number or also entering it in the search box on Facebook.

You might find the owner of the phone.

Sorry to hear you are going through this, I've had experience of snooping and finding something I didn't like too.

xx

Distrustinggirlnow Mon 05-Aug-13 07:35:01

Morning OP. hope you're ok. I'm just having a brew and thought of you.....

Have you tried adding the number to your contacts then adding your phone contacts to facebook. There's an option on FB to do this, can't remember how exactly but if you look you'll see it. All of your contacts who are not FB friends come up in a list. The number may appear along with a nice little pic....

However, I think that it may be her (if it is ow) second phone too which is why you get no answer as its either finished or she knows they may have been compromised.

Does he have a work phone..? Can you check any of the other bills online, sorry if this has already been suggested!

Moxiegirl Mon 05-Aug-13 08:14:45

Add the no. to what's app if you have it?

Missbopeep Mon 05-Aug-13 08:39:50

It's possible it's an old phone and not used anymore.

OR they have been really on the ball and set up some kind of 'code' to announce when it's him calling-ie- he lets it ring for 3 rings, she doesn't answer, he hangs up, then rings again.

(Friend of mine used to have this arrangement for a while when she was avoiding calls from her DP!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now