Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

We had the talk now what?

(45 Posts)
Lifeisforlivingkatie Mon 22-Jul-13 20:27:04

We are both 37, I am divorced with 2 children, he has never been married and has only ever lived with one woman, university girl friend, who was bi polar so not easy. I earn a lot more than he does and I have a lovely home. He is a qualified Proffessional too. We have been together 2 years. He is brilliant with my Kids and round the home. he is very caring towards me and the rest of my friends and family.

Trouble is I asked him to move in with us and he said he happy with the way things are for the moment. I think we have been together long enough, despite that he lives here from Thursday to Monday and stays again most Tuesdays.

I don't want to get married but want a partner I share a home with. him!

How long is too long to wait around? Are there any ladies in a similar situation and how did you handle it? help

RandomMess Tue 23-Jul-13 20:39:19

Is his house the equivalent of having a shed at yours?

Perhaps he just needs/appreciates having his space on that night or two per week? Being a step parent is very hard work...

Lifeisforlivingkatie Tue 23-Jul-13 20:58:06

OMG thank you ladies for all the advice I am really touched by your willingness to help. I response to some of your questions.

Profession: he is a post graduate person working in finance earning an above average wage so I doubt he is looking for someone to fund his upkeep. he does spend money on me on gifts, dinner at least once a week etc.

Laundry and cereal: he does laundry at his place and does not like me doing any domestic duties for him, he does more t mine including doing all the cooking when he is here.

Living for the moment: liken Nana suggested he is definitely the enjoy the moment kind of guy and he does understand why I have already short listed next years summer holidays when we have even been on the one we have booked this year. (Sardinia) any ideas on the best things to do out there?

Kundry, I feel for you my sister hearing those magic words is lovely, but we must focus on how people conduct themselves and treat us daily.talk is cheap my BF said. in two years he has not let me down once and he still send me text every morning just like morning just like our first week.

Thepiewholovedme: I am intrigued with yours and Nana's points maybe living together is not the be and end all, you have both managed to maintain your relationships longer than my first marriage. 8 years and he was a short tempered lier. Another one of my girlfriends is in a very abusive relationship yet he tells her he loves her daily and moved I with her within 3 months.

If he said he will never live with me or marry me? I will be really disappointed and I suppose I put this post up for you to help me think clearly so I don't nag and push him to move I. When he is not ready all to work away from a pretty good thing, despite the not sharing a mortgage.

Contributions: I have not asked him to contribute financially and I am not concerned about that since my house has 3 of us anyway so it does not really cost me any more. If he invoiced me for all the things he does for us, the Cereal and toilet role would be a lot cheaper.

I suppose I have to raise the discussion again, without sounding, desperate or pushy.. How would you go about it?

Kundry Tue 23-Jul-13 21:04:48

You are so right that talk is cheap. A friend had a partner who said he loved her every day - but was a financially and emotionally abusive cocklodger. But he had her wrapped around his finger with his 'I love yous'. It was then that I realised what I had in my DH and was happy if I never heard the words again.

Your DP sounds like he is pulling his weight in the relationship in terms of chores, finances etc and is very respectful of you.

Maybe you pick a time when you are feeling v close and ask him what he meant in your last discussion? Make it clear you don't want to sound desperate or pushy but does he think that moving in together/marriage/children or whatever will ever be in his future. How does he imagine your family in say 10 years from now?

Viviennemary Tue 23-Jul-13 21:06:32

I think under the circumstances you should give him another year or so. It does sound as if you see a lot of each other and if he has done your accounts free the money aspect sounds fairly balanced to me. But only you know for sure what you want. If you think he's never going to move in then you have got a problem. Perhaps he has had a bad experience living with his last girlfriend if she was difficult to live with.

Lifeisforlivingkatie Tue 23-Jul-13 21:41:10

Sorry for all the typing mistakes, he is here and I am trying to do this from my phone. I meant I don't want to walk away from a good thing without thinking things through. Maybe living together is not everything.

I have already thought through next years summer holidays, we have not even had this years yet, this will be at the end of the month. My BF does not understand why I think so far ahead, whilst he is very much in the here and now. He is one for a quiet and simple life.

Oh what I am I going to do?

JustinBsMum Tue 23-Jul-13 22:07:14

I wish I'd had a couple of days off a week from my DCs, sigh, but it never happened. Maybe he just likes the opportunity to be on his own if he wishes and you are reading too much into it, OP.

misskatamari Tue 23-Jul-13 22:17:33

Just chill out and enjoy your even together! Put your worries on hold, and speak to him at a later date. He loves you - you love him - enjoy it smile

misskatamari Tue 23-Jul-13 22:17:57

Your evening obvs!

I agree entirely with NanaNina and others who say enjoy what you have.

What is his moving in going to fulfill within you? Are you surrounded by friends/family members moving in together/getting married?

It seems to me from your description that the relationship is pretty wonderful.

Life is not going to be perfect, he is not ready yet - accept that.

Dahlen Tue 23-Jul-13 22:42:54

Thinking about why you want to live together is definitely a good thing. If it turns out it's just "because that what people do" rather than because you really want to, then problem solved.

However, just be wary of cognitive dissonance. Don't make the mistake of allowing yourself to be swayed to his way of doing things simply to allow the relationship to continue. It's so easy to convince ourselves we actually want something when the truth is really that we fear the alternative. It's a prize piece of manipulation on ourselves and one that ultimately leads to a massive loss of self respect.

His living in the here and now and your long-term approach could work out to be an ideal balance. It could also prove to be a huge source of frustration in your relationship that symbolises the mismatch in your approach to life and your relationship.

Dahlen Tue 23-Jul-13 22:45:58

Oh, and if you do decide that you want the full shebang, set a time limit on it. Please don't be one of those women who are still waiting for him to move in/propose/whatever 10 years down the line.

Jan45 Wed 24-Jul-13 10:47:23

I agree with Dahlen, he might just need a bit longer than you to be ready for moving in together although as I said it's odd as he stays nearly 6 nights out of 7 with you.

Re the finances, I know you say he does jobs for you etc but I would still expect a b/f to pay his way as far as the house goes, you will be spending more on heating, water, electricity, food etc, regardless of how many live there just now - he's basically a lodger that doesn't pay or pays in kind with jobs around the house etc, not quite the same as giving you money to cover his costs. In fact, I would've expected him to ensure he pays his way, not for you to have to ask. Just be careful he's not having the best of both worlds or he'll never want to change the situation.

ResNulis Wed 24-Jul-13 10:57:33

The thing is OP, that if he has said he wants things to stay the way they are for now, then he is not ready to take the next step.
Whatever his reasons.
All the "not being happy with the answer" in the world isn't going to make him ready for it. Particularly if the thought of moving in hadn't occurred to him until you brought it up.
You need to get your head around your own need to future plan, and accept that it is not a reason to push someone into doing something they are not ready for.
Or choose to bail.

That said, you have now firmly placed the thought in his mind. Give it a lot of time to filter through, and if you make the same suggestion in another year, and the answer is the same ....then I think you have a commitment-phobe on your hands. That is the point at which you can say that the existing plan doesn't work for you because you need more.

Lifeisforlivingkatie Wed 24-Jul-13 23:13:49

Ok thank you everyone,it's seems the general thought from most people is to hold fire for the time being and have another discussion in around a years time... Mmm I hope I can keep my mouth shut for that long. How about until after Christmas so I get some presents .(joke)

I will keep things as they are and bring the subject up in a few months. I Will also try and raise the contribution issue, although it has really never crossed my mind.

It's good to bring the situation to people without emotions attached. That way you see sense. I will certainly explore why living together bothers me so much. As some of you have highlighted, it does not necessarily future proof a relationship.

I like the example of wanting a break from your own children, does not mean you don't love them.

I am keen to hear from people who have chosen not to marry or live together...

MNiscold Wed 24-Jul-13 23:28:20

I don't post often, but just have to here: I think you have the ideal relationship already!! You have his help when you need/want it, yet you get to be the type of parent to your cs that you want to be, and evenings when it's just them and you, and he's considerate, respectful, etc. I would much prefer that to marriage or living together.

Selba Wed 24-Jul-13 23:32:36

I'd love a relationship like yours

Lifeisforlivingkatie Thu 25-Jul-13 00:47:35

Thank you MNiscold and Selba, you have given me a good perspective. It also means my children's inheritance is not messed with. I work really hard for them

Selba Thu 25-Jul-13 07:29:42

very good point!

Katnisscupcake Thu 25-Jul-13 07:45:09

Lifeisforlivingkatie, I agree with some of the others that say to hold fire as like Selba, I would also like a relationship like yours and wish my DH would bugger off for a couple of nights a week smile

But clearly a lot of this is to do with his past. Imagine never really having a 'normal' family environment since the age of 7. He is used to looking after himself and being on his own. It sounds like he's massively committed to you and your DCs/Family. But 2 years is not very long to overcome the past that he's had.

Enjoy this time, keep the fun alive and just relax smile.

Lifeisforlivingkatie Sat 27-Jul-13 01:02:28

Katnisscupcake, thank you so much for your view, I never really looked at it from the point of view of his upbringing and how long it takes to get people to shift their mindset/familiarity.

He is so used to being on his own, it's only in the last few months that he is letting me do anything for him. I will focus on his good bits, including supporting my daughter through her maths GCSE in which she got A*, making sure he always lives work I time when my son has an event at school,teaching him how to ride a bike etc.

I shall live in hope. Thank for your support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now