Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Going to be a Grandma, don't know whether to weep for joy or regret

(487 Posts)
GrandmaWeLoveYou Thu 11-Jul-13 19:00:39

Have NC for this.
It's a bolt from the blue.

DS (23) announced yesterday to his Father that his Girlfriend (of 3 years) is pregnant.
DH gave me this news this morning at breakfast.

Both of them are at Uni therefore not financially independant and DH has decided that we will fund them both for next 2 years until DS has qualified.

They've got it all sorted.

It's like history repeating itself only we were financially stable when our happy accident (DS) happened.

I've spoken to DS who said it was an accident. In this day and age accidents don't happen do they?

I don't know whether to jump for joy or cry my eyes out.
They had all the time in the world to have kids.
This is life changing stuff.

Can't help but think they've left it this long (3 months) to tell us because over here that's the cut off for abortion.

My beautiful boy is going to be a father before he's had time to really enjoy life and girlfriend will be a mother at 23 (i find 23 year olds in general lacking the maturity my generation had)

I sound like an awful person i know. I'm sure once the baby's here i'll be overjoyed, but for the moment feel raw and sad.

Please give me reassurance.

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 20:15:19

cheeseandpineapple (on a cocktail stick?)

I have had a thread recently, probably the one you're thinking of.

Oh the irony!

I spoke about DIL!

Thanks for the congrats wine

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 20:35:18

mathanxiety Her siblings have been in touch and are offering much support. (totally different generation)

MrsOakenshield Tue 16-Jul-13 20:55:25

what a lovely thing to say, Grandma, I'm very touched. If you have a liking for sexy dwarfs, Viking vampires, tea'n'cake and wine, I'm sure we should get on like a house on fire. Let me know should you land in London soon!

<wracks brains to think of what other thread I was supportive on, memory like a goldfish>

so often my posts seem so inarticulate compared to others, I'm always astonished when one comes out right and is read how it's meant to be, I feel I should frame them.

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 21:10:21

MrsOakenshield I rememember you, forget the thread it's all done and dusted anyway.

What's with the sexy dwarves?! (not sure i'm into kinky stuff!).

Viking vampires? ............could be persuaded!

Tea and cake and wine, well that's a no brainer, of course!

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 21:11:50

DH needs to know what a sexy dwarf is!

(he's feeling insecure!)

cheeseandpineapple Tue 16-Jul-13 21:15:15

Ah, thought that was you. You mentioned the prospect of a Catholic DIL, looks like you were spot on with your prediction. Glad you've been able to move on from that other situation. Something else to focus on instead!

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 21:20:40

cheeseandpineapple Spot on ,was me.

Seems like years ago with all this going on.

I never would have imagined at that time that we would find ourselves in this position.

It's made me put things into perspective.

I'm blessed to have a happy marriage!

MrsOakenshield Tue 16-Jul-13 21:24:56
GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 21:32:26

Oh yes, that's a sexy dwarf!
I'd have him!!

MrsOakenshield Tue 16-Jul-13 22:03:54

well, you can't. Because he's mine.
(It's Thorin Oakenshield, in case you were wondering.)

You can have this one if you like . . .

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 22:10:03

Ooh, broody and mysterious.........i'll have to think about it ( but it's a definate yes!!)

GrandmaWeLoveYou Tue 16-Jul-13 22:11:32

Just realised....Mr Oakenshield! You lucky lady!

I'll just have to settle for mt 50 something, balding Grandad grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now