Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Trying to start again with DP after split, I'm so confused :(

(30 Posts)
WatchingTheRainFallInBlackpool Sun 07-Jul-13 21:38:41

I'm not sure what I'm asking really, just trying to make sense of it all in my head. I posted about this about a month ago when it happened- DP and I split up while he was working abroad, after he decided he wasn't attracted to me anymore as I was too fat, that was the only real reason he gave at the time. He's since come back from working abroad and apologised, he claims he was under a lot of stress at the time and he didn't mean to upset me and went about it all the wrong way, admittedly it was out of character for him. He now wants to start again. I don't really know what I want in all honesty, in some ways he's really trying to make a go of things again properly, in other ways I'm not so sure. I feel like he's behaving more like himself again, but then I didn't see it coming the first time and I'm not completely sure he's not going to do the same thing again the next time he's particularly stressed at work. Not sure what to do for the best really.

overtheraenbow Mon 08-Jul-13 16:33:09

I agree this man is why you don't have any confidence. You will find that once you are away from him your confidence will return by the bus load! He is dragging you down, it will hurt your life isn't going the way you thought it would.the dreams for the future all changed . But speaking as one who knows once you accept yourself and realise his negative attitude is about him not you , you will become so much happier!! I have just started dating someone who thinks I am smart and funny and clever all things I knew but having been ground into the ground for the last few years had forgotten about myself - and so will you, remember its easy to go back but what if 6 months down the line he rejects you again?? You've done the hard part, tell yourself you are fabulous the way you are and he was lucky to have you, his loss!

WatchingTheRainFallInBlackpool Tue 09-Jul-13 16:45:40

I think I need to differentiate between how he used to behave towards me and how he does now. It probably sounds ridiculous but I feel like it's my fault, I'm not good enough for him. He's not making me happy at the moment and I know that, but I feel like it's my fault he's making me unhappy IYSWIM. Or maybe I'm just in denial and don't want to admit he's not going to go back to being lovely.

Dozer Wed 10-Jul-13 18:44:16

It's not your fault, he's not behaving like this because of you or anything you've done or not done.

You have, however, put up with poor treatment from him and believed bad things about yourself.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 10-Jul-13 18:53:21

He was never lovely. It's not denial that's holding you back here, it's because your confidence has been brought so low that you think he's the best you can do. He's feeding you negative PR and you're buying it. Once you get past that hurdle and kick him properly to the kerb, everything else will fall into place. Your confidence will improve, you'll stop thinking you're fat and you'll see him for the miserable, controlling git he really is.

Courage

Jengnr Wed 10-Jul-13 20:25:00

Why are you trying to lose weight?

You've lost 12 stone* of knobhead. That's more than enough. Just make sure you keep it off.

*guess

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now