Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Following on from irritating DP/DHs, what about YOU irritates your OH?

(44 Posts)
ThreeTomatoes Sat 29-Jun-13 12:04:44

I'm not entirely sure that my DP is open about everything that irritates him about me but here are my guesses:

- Not scraping food straight away into the bin (plates/bowls get left on the side - i prefer to just leave them till i blitz the kitchen). - for my part, it irritates me that when he loads dishwasher/does washing up he usually leaves the pans/oven trays etc unwashed on the side...
- Forgetting to wipe my hairs off the shower wall blush
- Leaving crumbs when i make a sandwich/toast
- The way I eat (he thinks i'm too noisy/slurpy sometimes) - and talking with my mouth full...blush
- The fact that I keep intending to do some exercise but then grunt unenthusiastically when he makes any suggestions about us doing some together
- Bringing up random boring householdy or money stuff at irritating times (e.g. last thing at night)
- Closing the inner front door when he hasn't got home yet (he finds it unwelcoming hmm)
- Being all soppy over dd's fave cuddly toy
- Randomly bursting into song, a lot.
- Talking to myself when I'm busy doing something, he keeps thinking I'm talking to him

DarceyBissell Mon 01-Jul-13 21:13:20

Being right all the time. About everything.

gamerchick Mon 01-Jul-13 17:27:47

I whip away spoons and cooking tools if they're put down and wash them when he's still using them. He growls and everything.

I get im from work and drop earworms on him, as im still in that mode from tormenting the bastard I work with.

There will be more but he's one of these mega patient types or just doesn't tell me.

Yama Mon 01-Jul-13 17:11:31

Yes, that's me. grin

VanitasVanitatum Mon 01-Jul-13 17:10:45

Half job harry grin

Yama Mon 01-Jul-13 17:10:37

Vlad has just reminded me of the biggie:

I file letters, bank statement, important documents etc in any available drawers I find. This drives him mad. My thinking is that I roughly know where to find them.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 01-Jul-13 17:07:37

That I need to practice driving routes before doing them
That I say I can't find something and he finds it after a couple of seconds
That I say the house is a tip and he thinks its clean

onefewernow Mon 01-Jul-13 17:05:00

Complaining

onefewernow Mon 01-Jul-13 17:04:41

Too many cushions.

Shoes everywhere

Poor dishwasher stacking

Telling him irrelevant stories about people he doesn't know as per up thread

C

ShatnersBassoon Mon 01-Jul-13 11:52:22

Claiming to remember conversations from 20+ years ago, verbatim. He goes berserk when I refuse to admit I could have misremembered parts grin

Doshusallie Mon 01-Jul-13 11:42:13

I do the "have to have throws and cushions straight in living room before bed" thing mentioned up thread too...

Others:

Leave my top drawer open where I keep all my hair stuff
Empty the dishwasher while he is eating his breakfast so he can't hear the weather forecast
Shut him down when he starts to say the same thing he has just said 5 times - that really annoys him, and I can see why, but Jesus wept, enough already!!
Being on FB and MN while we are watching a film.

vladthedisorganised Mon 01-Jul-13 11:28:08

Lobbing empty re-useable shopping bags, sports kits, computers and the like in the cupboard under the stairs rather than putting them in a designated spot in said cupboard.

Using washing up gloves. Placing washing up gloves at the side of the sink so that they drip into the sink.

Hanging J-cloths over the tap.

Failing to put daily disposable contact lenses neatly in the bin. I have pointed out that this is because I can't see without them, so have to guess where the bin is..

Teaandflapjacks Mon 01-Jul-13 11:12:50

I have a terrible habit of signing (very badly) lines of songs that link into conversation. Such as on phone DH 'I miss you' (he works away in the week) me 'yes, I miss you too.. which then goes into a verse of Chris D B 'I've been missing you' and then I carry on conversation as normal. I know he finds it in equal measures infuriating and amusing. I also like to do 'car dancing', it started once when he was stressed about work and I wanted to cheer him up - sometimes with me doing some kind of improvised rap, also very badly done. If you met me in RL you would never guess I am like that.

I also don't load the dishwasher 'properly' (read flings stuff in and whacks it on half full etc). grin

vjhist85 Mon 01-Jul-13 09:28:02

1. Leaving shoes everywhere. Everything else I tend to put away (unlike him) but shoes just live wherever I decide to remove them.
2. Being miserable about my weight then not doing anything about it.
3. Nagging him for things I do myself - horrid hypocrite I am
4. Being a perfectionist control freak when it comes to, well, most things. Which means I take over, get cross with him for not helping, then shout at him when he tries to help because he's NOT HELPING THE RIGHT WAY.

WeGotTheKrunk Mon 01-Jul-13 09:14:37

I never screw the lids back on anything

Ha! Are you me? I do this too - drives him mad. I forgot to put "being crap at washing up / general housework" onto my list.

I don't know what from my list I could change! I do try with the housework, but genuinely housekeeping is not my strong point, and he has higher standards than me so sometimes it saves arguments if he does it - otherwise it'd be hours of him berating me for hoovering the rug the "wrong" way.

I am not getting rid of any pairs of shoes, though. No fucking way am I getting rid of my shoes!!!!

themaltesecat Mon 01-Jul-13 09:08:04

I never screw the tops back on anything, leaving them balanced cleverly on top as though they were screwed on, so that when the receptacle is picked up, the top skitters away into the wilderness behind the fridge.

I never wipe the butter off the knife but chuck it into the sink for it all to fester in a glutinous mass to be cleared up by him at a later date.

I am crap with money, really crap. Not "we Can't pay the rent this month crap", but "Can you give me some money for my contact lenses? I spent it all in Boots" crap.

I order flatpack furniture and expect him to use up his precious free time assembling it.

I leave all the pooey nappies to him.

I have to wash towels and all clothes after every use and probably create twelve times the laundry I should.

I only shave my legs if going out in a summer dress, not because it might be nice for him.

He never complains, though I could bear it (am a lawyer, so wouldn't mind a bit of strife, but he never indulges me on that front).

KittyTwatknicker Mon 01-Jul-13 08:52:54

Being right all the time
Not emptying the dishwasher filter
Getting cross about the house being a tip
Being organised
Having to identify actors in a film, who they are married to etc loudly
Singing quite a lot (in an operatic style!)
Leaving piles of stuff on the stairs to be taken up
Using MY ipad when he wants to
Tutting at his shitty car programmes
Getting shitfaced and doing embarrassing dancing at weddings

But he says I'm practically perfect in every way!

ThreeTomatoes Sun 30-Jun-13 21:55:43

I wonder, would any of us be willing (or able) to STOP doing any of these things?

Cos I'm sure we'd love our OHs to stop doing the things that irritate us! wink

Looking at my list, some of them are things I genuinely forget to do or absent-mindedly do although my best of intentions is not to so really down to human error, a few are things that are just part of being me that I wouldn't want to change, or would feel 'false' changing (like singing, talking to myself, being soppy over dd's cuddly toy), but a few are things I could make an effort to stop doing.

WeGotTheKrunk Sun 30-Jun-13 17:57:13

Oh, and I have earned the nickname 'Half Job Harry'.

This made me proper giggle for some reason grin

I'm enjoying how many of our little foibles are to do with shoes!

Salbertina Sun 30-Jun-13 16:46:43

Marmite on the butter
Detail in conversations
Moaning
Being late
Being irritable

FeralStreep Sun 30-Jun-13 15:44:17

Leaving the contents of my makeup bag on the bed when I go to work.
Constantly stroking/tickling him while he's trying to sleep. I don't always know I'm doing it, in my defence.
Nicking the duvet.

Other than that I'm frickin' perfect ahem

WhoNickedMyName Sun 30-Jun-13 15:38:05

My shoes get left wherever I have taken them off, my DH is always tripping over them and it drives him mad. I tell him he should watch where he's going grin.

NatashaBee Sun 30-Jun-13 15:37:32

Sipping hmm

Yama Sun 30-Jun-13 15:36:00

Oh, and I have earned the nickname 'Half Job Harry'.

He says I am perfect. He is a lying git smile

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 15:32:26

"guessing" his emotions and then getting annoyed with him. I am generally having to guess though as he has blanked me!

being on mumsnet too much
not being chatty
chatting when he is watching something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now