Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is living on my own with DS feasible?

(30 Posts)
SnailBob Sun 23-Jun-13 21:34:22

Hello all,

I have NC for this, been posting here about our issues for a while. Without going into them, I just would like to find out from you, especially if you are a single parent, how do you manage financially? And to see if in my situation leaving and surviving on my own would be feasible.

I work full time with income of roughly £32000 a year.
The properties for rent I have been looking at (to get the idea) are from £750 to £900 a month. £750 would mean 1 bed, £850+ - 2 bed flat/house.

After taking out all the unavoidable expenses (presuming I rent something for £850 a month, then loan repayment, car insurance, mobile phone) I am left with around £300 which would have to cover all food, any additional house bills (heating, electricity, council tax etc), all necessary clothes for me and DS.

Is that even feasible? I do realise I am not on the minimum wage and overall am not complaining... But I am scared that I would find myself struggling hugely or worse, unable to pay for all things.

Also, I wouldn't qualify for any benefits, I don't think...

So can I be a little bit cheeky and ask what is your breakdown is and how do you manage?

Ta.

KellyElly Mon 24-Jun-13 13:48:36

You will get housing benefit on that salary as a lone parent.

TeenyW123 Mon 24-Jun-13 18:50:32

FAO Norainnorainbow
I am my son's and his fiancées landlady and they get housing benefit. I explained in advance to the HB people and I was required to write a letter stating that everything was all right and proper with a rental agreement etc. that all parties would adhere to. No problems.

Teeny

iwantanafternoonnap Mon 24-Jun-13 19:03:40

I have had to do it on a wage of £27,000, a mortgage of £800 and a loan repayment of £200 and not entitled to any benefits apart from single persons council tax. I just about survived but never really went out or bought clothes etc so I say yes it is doable you just have to learn to economise where you can.

blissfullytired Mon 24-Jun-13 19:11:35

I manage with dd on half of what you get inc tax credits but am up north.

Dahlen Mon 24-Jun-13 19:43:18

Your income is above average, even in the South East. The problem is therefore your loan repayment. I would really advise you to get some debt advice. There are all sorts of ways you can reneogtiate that payment getting it down to a more manageable level without ruining your credit rating.

Also, even in the South East it's possible to get a 2-bed place for much cheaper than your guideline. You may have to compromise on location or quality slightly, but you shouldn't end up slumming it and it is worth it if the alternative is being stuck in a relationship that is making your miserable. Also, don't forget it needn't be forever - only until your loan is repayed for example.

FWIW, when I first became a single parent (of two) I managed on much less than that with only the usual tax credits (that everyone used to get pretty much regardless of relationship status and income) and child benefit, and no housing benefit or anything.

If you want good ideas for budgeting, look on www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now