Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Who's going to start dating thread No57?

(1000 Posts)
akaWisey Sat 22-Jun-13 20:16:20

Or am I going to be 'one' <smirks at irony>

nkf Sat 22-Jun-13 20:47:04

I am watching Poirot. Have not been on a date for about 25 years. Really don't belong on this thread. Might like to start dating. Or rather occasionally think that maybe I should think about dating one day.

Djangounhinged Sat 22-Jun-13 20:50:16

Ooh there you are! Couldn't work out why my replies on thread 56 weren't appearing (I know, I know. I've had wine)

Lorna thanks for googling iPhone message blocking, hoping there's no repeat performance tonight or I may be tempted to reply, and not in a polite way confused

I definitely think that's a fitting rule 6, and one I need to remind myself of when I still can't get to the point where someone asks me out on a date grin

bigstrongmama Sat 22-Jun-13 20:50:28

Right, I've seen your dating threads before, hope you don't mind me butting in with a question re decorum. Unfortunately not on the grape juice yet, quite jealous!

Anyway, recently separated, it is permanent this time. Last time we separated ex wasted no time and signed up to internet dating in 5 days (after 14 years with me!) And actually had a gf when we got back together (I had no idea).

This time, I feel less heartbroken and more able to get on with things. So my question is, how soon after a breakup is reasonable to move on a bit and start dating? Not looking for anything serious, but would like to meet people and have some fun, flirt a bit...

KinNora Sat 22-Jun-13 20:52:51

I'm sober sad

Of course you belong here nfk , come in and have a laugh.

lurkinglorna Sat 22-Jun-13 20:52:55

nkf

ha ha well I'm on this thread, I'm not "activating" my OD profile at the moment...

I've collected few options (two on off who I have dated and very good chemistry but are working abroad, one who I was in two minds about who I texted goodbye to today, one I am e-mailing haven't met in person who sounds exciting).

No actual prospect of sex soon sad

But with work KILLER now, to meet new contacts seems a bit too full on. not enough money or energy for the "go out every other night meet someone new".

akaWisey Sat 22-Jun-13 20:53:56

OWW yes it is.

When all the wine is drunk in my house I should:

1. go down the co-op and buy some more a packet of tea bags
2. go to bed.

akaWisey Sat 22-Jun-13 20:56:41

Django glad to hear you've had wine if nothin else. I've had nothin else too but I think I might be high on paint stripper which is no cheaper than wine by the way.

lurkinglorna Sat 22-Jun-13 20:58:17

bigstrongmama

I would say get your profile up straight away! no need to marry the first one you meet smile and i think dating you learn as you go, AND also there are lot of bad first dates or flase starts so the sooner you start the better.

Your ex is ex, that is the past, you should get out there even if its just to have a laugh and a few horror stories!

Snapespeare Sat 22-Jun-13 20:58:35

I am watching 'up' & I have wine this will not end well.

Winefiend Sat 22-Jun-13 21:04:03

Ohhh CHIPS!

I am weighing up whether to go to the chippy on the corner or not as I look like shit run over thrice.

That being said, this street have seen me in various states inc staggering down the road with a plated up Sunday dinner in one hand and the dog in his travel box in the other (after making the taxi driver reverse up and down the street as I was so pissed I couldn't remember where I lived). Also, on a separate occasion, running down the street shouting after said dog in my bare feet after the little sod made the great escape out the front door, shouting like a fishwife.

Me with shit hair trotting to the chippy prob won't raise any eyebrows grin

Stone cold sober here too. Hmmmm.

Flipper924 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:04:59

Mama, whenever you're ready. For some people this is a matter of days or weeks, for others it's years.

I have also had grapes. Fizzy grapes. Eldest stepdaughter came for lunch and as she was driving, I had to drink most of the bottle myself.

I'm in an excellent mood, but a little bit miffed that I have no one to go out with this evening, when I really fancy an impromptu night out. My only local single friend is busy, and even Mr 3DD appears to be entertaining, so I'm stuck in. I've got to the point where I'm actually happy with life as it is, except for the fact that I have no one to play with!

stopusingmynicknames Sat 22-Jun-13 21:05:07

<swings by with a mug of decaff coffee>
I have a first date tomorrow evening with an OD guy. Am trying not to invest too much emotionally (as per 'The Rules'). he does seem very nice though. We're going for a drink - is it ok to wear jeans on a first date???

akaWisey Sat 22-Jun-13 21:05:30

bigstrongmama get out there and just do it. Honestly, with all its surprises, shocks, successes and failures you will grow from it. smile

brokenhearted55 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:08:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

akaWisey Sat 22-Jun-13 21:08:35

winefiend was it the dog who shouts like a fishwife or you? This could be crucial for the 2014 Britains got fuck-all talent comp.

Winefiend Sat 22-Jun-13 21:08:51

stop wear whatever you feel comfortable in love. I always wear jeans and chuck some heels on!

Flipper924 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:09:17

Wine, my street have also seen me chasing after dog in bare feet and pyjama bottoms. Not to mention the time he wriggled under the front gate and I had to forceably remove him (imagine scruffy orange westie-sized terrier) from the neck of grumpy neighbour's German shepherd. Dog loves German shepherds, he was playing.

brokenhearted55 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:11:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Winefiend Sat 22-Jun-13 21:12:29

broken that is horrendous sad it is so very tempting to contact them but you've got to remember that it will only set you back. Get pampering yourself and take it one wee bit at a time. It is hard though.

Wisey nah that was me doing the fishwife act but he does do a good line in dog chat when he gets excited so I was connsidering blowing Simon Cowell away with our double act next year. Or I could do some sort of dog/plate juggling act. Hrmmmmm. Something to consider.

Winefiend Sat 22-Jun-13 21:14:53

Flipper aaaah dogs, marvellous creatures grin Mine is a westie and an absolute bellend at the best of times. Apparently this aft he attempted to fuck a whippet. My ex (he has weekend visitation rights grin) was absolutely mortified. He has nae baws and has never done it before. Weird.

(The dog, not ex

akaWisey Sat 22-Jun-13 21:16:30

brokenhearted. I can't ignore that yearning. Don't do it, don't contact him. If it was as you think he'll reach that conclusion himself.

In the meantime you just do what you need to get over it, who knows what's in the future?

OhWesternWind Sat 22-Jun-13 21:17:03

Hello nkf - you belong on here as much as anyone. I think you'll know when you're ready, and often the deed follows very close behind the thought. Any advice or hand holding needed, or just for general meandering about dating, then this is the right place.

Flipper924 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:19:25

55, to echo what others have said before, have you still got healing to do? Getting back in the saddle can be a good way of getting over someone, but not every time. I'm sorry if the following sounds harsh, it is meant with the very best of intentions, but I'm a bit sceptical about the 'it was amazing right from the word go' type relationships. When the fireworks are over, quite often one party does realise that there isn't much underneath.

Stop, I go for jeans as they're usually flattering. I would do as Wine says though, and wear with heels. Don't forget to let us know how it goes!

OhWesternWind Sat 22-Jun-13 21:21:48

Sorry last message took ages to post due to crappy Internet connection.

Nickname - tell us more about him then .., and wear whatever the hell you want. I tend to go for trousers and a nice top. No point starting off pretending to be something/someone you're not.

Snapespeare Sat 22-Jun-13 21:23:17

Everyone belongs here, whether they are just starting out, seasoned and a little cynical, ohdearGOD loved up, on the sofa of rest, lurking, waiting... We missed 'all welcome' in the thread title...ALL are welcome. smile do say hi. smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.