Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Asked Flirty Guy Out; Now Being Blanked

(109 Posts)
Zilvernblue Tue 21-May-13 09:58:29

My marriage ended a couple of years ago and I've always had a bit of a thing for this guy in my friendship group. I knew him before I got married and we went on some casual dates but never quite managed to get it together, although he's admitted he fancies me. He's very shy, and has never had a girlfriend at 33. But very flirty, quite attention seeking, but kind of sweet and good to talk to too. We all went on holiday together as part of a group last year and got on amazingly well. Things felt "special".

So the flirting was happening again, but no suggestion of a date. Mutual male friends were telling me he was keen but he's "shy", so I decided to ask him out. I'm not brave enough to do it in person, so I sent him a text, not too pushy but clear that we should give it a go.

No reply. This was 4 months ago. Since then, he has avoided me like the plague. I would say he is actually going out of his way to avoid me - theres been a couple of parties where he's turned up early for half an hour, seen me in the distance and left without saying anything. I've noticed I'm no longer being invited out to drinks by several of the mutual friends, just at a time (separated from DH and getting divorced) that I could have done with friends.

I'm sure he is doing this to avoid saying "no" and because he probably wants to flirt with me in the future without having to date me, but in actual fact I'm mortified, embarrassed and really hurt by it all.

So has anyone ever encountered one of these "flirty but nice" men who don't want anything else, and how did you deal with them? Because I'm pretty sure that once he's made his point, he will try to go back to the flirty stuff.

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 23:20:29

Oh you have wooed me Ska.

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 22:57:58

Haha...bugger. And here I was thinking I might get to 1st base for a price of a train fare to darn sarf / hiding in the bogs all the way smile. (Baccy offer still open btw)

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 22:43:55

Well maybe they onto you Ska. grin

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 22:32:25

(Writes down drinks orders on hand in crude biro handwriting). Ace - we got a date, Posh smile

Incidentally, why do people keep making comments like 'gay' in our thread Loulybelle? Its a real passion killer

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 22:25:55

Remember i iz posh, wine and dine innit.

White Zinfandel is a good start, Disaronno will get you a blowie, Bold Black Cherry Southern Comfort is a guaranteed leg over.

Cakebitch Tue 21-May-13 22:25:01

Gay.

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 22:21:12

Well, anywhere else is posh when you come from down t' pit like I do, so I guess that's a winner smile saving up for the train fare to tanland as we speak.

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:54:32

Im from North Essex and posh you know.

None of that crappy, Primarni shit for me.

<tries to act posh>

Get a day return to tanland skag. Man up.

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 21:49:29

Look, I do know its darn sarf...and your on the telly an all that...

Guess we'll just have to be pen pals sad

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:35:48

Skaboy, you have offended me, dont even know where Essex is.

Its all about Essixxxxx, like totes babe.

Shut uppppp!!!!

AnyFucker Tue 21-May-13 21:34:50

< starts drilling hole through wall from sitting room >

AnyFucker Tue 21-May-13 21:33:59

I could put some plastic sheeting down on the carpet

oh, and Sky movies smile

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 21:33:11

Haha... its all good. I get to travel quite a bit for work so if I ever go to essex (note to self-find out where essex is) I'll bring my bike and wages from saturday job...and fizzers.

AnyFucker Tue 21-May-13 21:33:06

erk, that's quite a distance if the spondoolies are a bit tight

I could offer you my front room in Manchester ? I have a wide screen telly, a squashy sofa and some bowls to put the Haribo in and a washing machine to launder the sex towels

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:23:43

last guy was from lincs and before that Yorkshire.

Should really stop flirting with Male Mumsnetters.

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 21:21:45

Yeah I live oop north (lancashire)...so its all over unless you want some kind of long distance thingy. (Goes to room and plays music loud)

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:17:14

Im from Essex Matilda, might be a little too far.

AnyFucker Tue 21-May-13 21:16:35

have you two spoken on the wireless telephone ?

ProphetOfDoom Tue 21-May-13 21:14:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:10:44

Never said i was a cheap date Skaboy grin

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 21:10:05

Ok, that's a deal. (You've cleaned me out now btw)

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:05:28

Fizzy cola bottles Skaboy, i need my fizzies.

skaboy Tue 21-May-13 21:02:13

That's fine Loulybelle. Might get you some haribos as well for afters

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 21-May-13 20:57:10

I wish I had an exciting secret life I tell ya grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now