Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Father/children relationship

(58 Posts)
margaritadrakeina Sun 12-May-13 20:13:05

If your DH told you that your children were entirely your responsibility because you are a SAHM and he is the one who works, what would you say/think?

Numberlock Mon 13-May-13 15:11:55

... and that's exactly what I mean by my colleagues. They are away most weeks from Monday morning to Friday evening, comment that they 'can't cope' with their children, and I doubt have any significant interaction with them when they are at home.

LadyInDisguise Mon 13-May-13 15:40:07

Yuck! I wouldn't want any of these men in life tbh.

Numberlock Mon 13-May-13 15:44:46

No and I can't imagine you'd enjoy working with them much either...

lynniep Mon 13-May-13 15:58:00

I would say you married a tw*t. Children are the responsibility of both parents. You are both full time parents. happens to work outside the home in 'office hours' You work inside the home. He is earning money by working outside the home. You are saving the familiy childcare fees by doing working inside the home. Outside of 'office hours' is family time and attention is required from both parents. A man who takes no responsibility for his children is not a father. He is a d*ck.

Numberlock Mon 13-May-13 16:01:51

He is earning money by working outside the home. You are saving the familiy childcare fees by doing working inside the home

... as well as enabling him to work uninhibited by not having to do any childcare during working hours (eg childminder pick-ups, school drop-offs, football training, dentist etc etc) which would be the case if both parents worked.

theduchesse Mon 13-May-13 20:52:28

He does so little for the kids you had to include that he says hello to them in your list of their interactions. That is not normal. Most dads want to spend time with their kids.

I would have said...
No, just LTB, far quicker. What an arse.

Snog Thu 23-May-13 20:21:08

I suggest you need to get a full time job then clearly everything should be split 50/50 in terms of housework and childcare.
If your dh won't pull his weight then consider why you would want to stay with him quite carefully

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now