Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sex with cousin

(132 Posts)
Bitofadviceplease Thu 02-May-13 22:11:31

How wrong is it?

AThingInYourLife Fri 03-May-13 14:59:47

"Fucking grim. If you can clearly trace how you are biologically related then it's a no go IMO. Grim."

Totally agree.

Ick, ick, ick.

You might as well fuck your brother.

FoxMulder Fri 03-May-13 15:04:20

Oh, nasty! I had no idea this was actually a thing. I had assumed it was illegal. They ask you at the registry office when you give notice to marry if you're related. Me & DH thought it was a bit of a funny question to which the answer would always be 'I bloody hope not!' Obviously not.

Halfling Fri 03-May-13 15:04:55

Ewwww. But you asked.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 03-May-13 15:06:46

What I actually said was in response to the PP who said it ought to be illegal. I didn't say legal, so fine. What I said was are we going to make everything which is legal but not necessarily good for you illegal or are we going to let people keep their freedom to live their own lives and decide for themselves?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 03-May-13 15:09:18

If you are going to ban relationships between cousins because of possible genetic problems, then surely we should screen everyone and bar them from marrying someone with possibly incompatible DNA?

Back in my dim and distant past I slept with my stepsister. Ok so shes not blood but know her since I was 6 and was 16 when we did it. A few times over the course of a year or so.
I thought you were 1st cousins which as far as I am concerned would be cool but if it's 2nd or 3rd whats the problem. Live your life and enjoy it!

cheesesarnie Fri 03-May-13 15:23:01

my family are all very close but erm not in that way so i cannot begin to understand but... if it works for you and yours and everyone's happy- go for it!

VitoCorleone Fri 03-May-13 15:23:58

Not something i would do but each to their own (no pun intended)

I do have a huge crush on one of my mums cousins sons though, but i only met him a few years ago

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigBlockSingsong Fri 03-May-13 15:28:42

Jesus Christ, its all coming out on here.

Jewcy Fri 03-May-13 15:31:08

I had sex with my cousin (my mum's twin sister's son) about seven years ago when I was mid-thirties. We were high on cocaine and booze and hadn't seen each other since his mother's funeral when I was fifteen. The sex was mindblowing and the filthiest I've ever had and I've never felt good about it since. I actually shudder when I picture some of the stuff we did. I was so creeped-out that I never spoke to him again.

He died last year at the age of 36 from a combination of a burst bowel and drink problems. He was discovered in a macabre state and I felt so sorry for him. I couldn't, however, bring myself to go to his funeral. I felt as though I would have 'I fucked my cousin' scrawled across my forehead.

Sorry to digress...

firesidechat Fri 03-May-13 15:38:43

My great grandparents were first cousins. Hope that helps.

slug Fri 03-May-13 15:41:48

Actually it's far more likely Queen Victoria's hemophilia gene was the result of a spontaneous mutation as her father was very old when she was conceived.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 15:54:28

Op only posted sparsely, stealth boast perhaps?

ellengeorgia Fri 03-May-13 16:23:22

It is not wrong at all. My brother has been married to his/our cousin for 30 plus years, very happy, twin daughters, no problems!

TheRealFellatio Fri 03-May-13 16:30:10

Lots of cultures (particularly among Muslims and gypsies) have a preference for marriage to first cousins or extended family members.

It is not illegal as far as I know, but it is rather taboo in mainstream UK society, and not without good reason I believe. There is a shockingly high incidence of genetic abnormalities, syndromes and serious deformity/disability etc., among babies born as a result of cousins marrying, or people procreating from a very small gene pool.

TheRealFellatio Fri 03-May-13 16:33:00

I see this has already been covered beautifully by mumblechum

Bitofadviceplease Fri 03-May-13 17:02:20

We've both agreed that we won't do it again as too awkward in family get togethers etc

It was just a bit of fun smile

TheSecondComing Fri 03-May-13 17:04:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bitofadviceplease Fri 03-May-13 17:05:22

If your going to be nasty, why bother commenting??

guess its only a problem if you want a baby together, what with the mix of genes to similar etc

Because being nasty is fun sometimes smile

guess its only a problem if you want a baby together, what with the mix of genes to similar etc

It's not a problem, otherwise it wouldn't be bloody legal. My cousin took extensive advice before embarking on a relationship, if there had been any suggestion of a problem with children they would not have got married. No mad fling here, they were serious from the off.

Any 'problems' come from marrying within families going on for generations, not just the odd time. This thread just shows how ignorant some people can be about things they know nothing about. As per the norm here.

firesidechat Fri 03-May-13 19:18:09

It's not a problem, otherwise it wouldn't be bloody legal. My cousin took extensive advice before embarking on a relationship, if there had been any suggestion of a problem with children they would not have got married. No mad fling here, they were serious from the off.

Any 'problems' come from marrying within families going on for generations, not just the odd time. This thread just shows how ignorant some people can be about things they know nothing about. As per the norm here.

Agree with Gwendoline.

JennyMackerz Fri 03-May-13 19:18:16

Happyjusttobe, second cousins is ok surely?? that's a virtual stranger in my world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now