Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sex with cousin

(132 Posts)
Bitofadviceplease Thu 02-May-13 22:11:31

How wrong is it?

Offred Thu 02-May-13 22:12:28

How wrong do you think it is?

Lweji Thu 02-May-13 22:13:18

I know two couples who are cousins.

How wrong or right does it feel to you?

It's not illegal! Does that help?

Bitofadviceplease Thu 02-May-13 22:14:39

Should say not my 1st cousin, it's my cousins son, 3 yrs between us. Cousin's once removed...

HamletsSister Thu 02-May-13 22:15:08

Not that unusual, or illegal. I know someone who has done it (actually 6 people - 3 couples made up of cousins in my family). All teen / early 20s and nothing lasting. None of the older generation found out and we all treated it as a huge joke.

However, many many regrets for everyone years later.

HollyBerryBush Thu 02-May-13 22:15:43

Not illegal. Common in a lot of cultures

SciFiFan Thu 02-May-13 22:17:01

I know 1st cousins who are married. Only danger is if there is a genetic fault which can be doubled when having kids.

scaevola Thu 02-May-13 22:18:13

It's neither illegal, nor barred by the church.

The potential for causing family disharmony is probably quite high, though, if the relationship breaks down.

Bunbaker Thu 02-May-13 22:18:35

It isn't illegal, but it isn't particularly a good idea. The aristocracy were known as being blue blooded because there was so much inbreeding between cousins. Also, there was a this TV programme about the rise of genetic abnormalities in certain sections of the population, again because cousins were marrying each other.

Bowlersarm Thu 02-May-13 22:19:07

It's legal! Therefore no problem

bollockstoit Thu 02-May-13 22:19:18

I know a couple (not together any more) who were first cousins. People took the piss a bit tbh. They had decided not to have children together just in case.

HollyBerryBush Thu 02-May-13 22:19:22

One little branch of my family has married first cousins for 3 generations - this lot have decided not to have children as they think they are pushing their luck somewhat.

WeAreEternal Thu 02-May-13 22:20:19

I definitely wouldn't, and I would be really upset if a family member did, but we are a close family and it just seems really incestuous to me. Cousins are too closely linked genetically for me to think a sexual relationship is acceptable.

Offred Thu 02-May-13 22:21:42

Seriously, why bothered about what others think? If you are not concerned ignore other people if you are then it probably won't work out... Simples...

bollockstoit Thu 02-May-13 22:24:08

Perhaps if my 2 male cousins weren't scarily unattractive I might feel differently about it

scaevola Thu 02-May-13 22:26:51

If there are inherited conditions in the family, then it would be prudent for cousins to have genetic counselling before having DC. Or if there had been previous consanguineous marriages in earlier generations.

crypes Thu 02-May-13 22:28:15

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were first cousins , apparently that's how haemophilia came into the Royal family.

Lweji Thu 02-May-13 22:28:49

WeAreEthernal has a point.
From what I know children raised together don't feel each other sexually attractive.
So, close cousins are not very likely to get together, particularly if they have been in close contact from and in early infancy. .

Laquila Thu 02-May-13 22:29:40

It certainly wouldn't go down well in my family (in fact I can't even conceive of it) but I do know a married couple who're cousins, who have kids, and no apparent abnormalities. I wouldn't frown on it for moral reasons.

All I would say is that I rather wish my great-grandparents hadn't been first cousins. By all accounts, it was a very happy marriage, but the dodgy gene they magnified is a sod to live with.

SignoraStronza Thu 02-May-13 23:04:28

In my younger days I might have had a hedonistic, sex, and drugs fuelled weekend with my mothers cousin's son. Was interesting arriving at a genteel family pub lunch afterwards - I genuinely don't know whether anyone to this day knew what we were up to but it felt very, very naughty. We didn't/don't really see much of each other though and certainly not a close knit family.

spottyparrot Thu 02-May-13 23:12:58

Think it's possibly a bit hard for other family members to deal with if they know.

It isn't illegal. But as mentioned up thread, sometimes not the best idea genetically for a baby.

TheSecondComing Thu 02-May-13 23:14:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bitofadviceplease Thu 02-May-13 23:24:19

Know him since birth, only been close last few years, he's hot, fit, attractive...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now