Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Whacking The Wine Witch Round The Chops (With Barry The Squid).

(1000 Posts)
Mouseface Wed 01-May-13 17:32:28

Hello, I'm Mouse smile

I'm one of the Brave Babes who's travelling on this wonderful, magical, mysterious Bus, trying to hold onto my sobriety for me, and for my family.

I do drink but thanks to this Bus, I've kicked the vodka addiction into touch and the evil WineWitch has been banished far, far away so I now drink in a controlled manner, One Day At A Time. smile

By that, I mean that just for today, I won't be drinking. Tomorrow, however, I will be because it's a very special occasion. The day after will be dealt with when I wake, and the day after that, the day after etc.....

We're a Bus filled with some fantastic posters, some who drink, some who don't touch a drop ever and some who are on/off drinkers who have lovely warm seats in the side-car, some are hanging onto the roof-rack by the tips of their fingers and trying their best to resist the dreaded WineWitch's charms night after night. But they are trying, and that's all that any of us can do, is keep trying, keep starting again!

So, if you think that you're drinking too much (you probably are) why not come and say hi? We won't bite - unless you ask very nicely, manners cost nothing wink.

There's lots of seats so pick whichever one you like and have a brew. Just jump in, we're not a judgemental pack of quiche makers wink

And here's a bit of light reading for you.... our latest thread and the very first one, the reason we're all here.

PREVIOUS THREAD

FIRST EVER THREAD

Thanks 1stepforward, think green thought that too. It's like I've opened the gate to the ww & she's doing her best to get to me with her "go on" it's one drink, you deserve it, you need it. Think of that cold glass of nice chilled white wine. It's like she's trying to seduce me with that one glass but I need to remember what that 'one' glass leads to, for me it literally always is devastation & I always regret it!
Think I need to set myself a goal. I'm at 2 weeks now & someone earlier get to 6 weeks, so think my goal just now is get to six weeks xx

Fairenuff Sun 19-May-13 09:16:20

Morning all smile

We had sunshine yesterday. It was wonderful to be out in it. Got a lot done, loads of washing and painting outside. For me, the sun has two triggers - one is the 'nice cold glass of wine' and the other is 'must stick to the diet so that I can fit into my summer clothes' grin

The two don't go together. I can have one or the other, but not both. So, for me, dieting, healthy eating, exercise, etc. is my goal. A glass of wine in the sun will give me no long term benefit. And the next day I would only regret it.

A pound off, though, now that's working towards my long term goal and I never regret losing weight.

I've lost 5lb over the last three weeks. Slowly but steadily I'm getting back to where I was years ago, before the wine drinking became a regular habit. I'm older but I'm healthier and I'm happier. I'm making good choices and sticking to them. One Day At A Time.

Have a lovely day babes, I hope the sunshine comes your way and I hope you enjoy a chilled glass of something tasty (come and share your favourite non-alkie drinks) - I guarantee you won't regret it. You won't wake up tomorrow and think, damn I wish I'd drunk more wine yesterday grin

You can do it. It's just one day x

dementedma Sun 19-May-13 09:22:25

Morning all. Cold, grey and drizzly after yesterdays cold, grey and raining. Apologies to all those I am about to offend but sometimes living in Scotland really SUCKS!

Couldn't agree more MA, Scotland can be so depressing & miserable, it's no wonder we all drink so much!

Fairenuff Sun 19-May-13 10:28:46

Hot chocolate it is then! Cocoa is very good for you apparently, full of lovely flavonoids - even more than green tea, I believe.

If you could have anything on toast, what would it be? Mine would be raspberry jam or cheese.

fullofhopefullness Sun 19-May-13 10:42:40

Just wee quick note! Well done all and specially to clutter for resisting such tough ww call! I will use u as inspiration and will also reread a carr!
Also thx to venus for link ti emp site flowery so helpful! To mouse isinde and others as well - knowledge is power!!! The main protagonist is overall head of recruitment as well as other things! I have come to conclusion that senior staff in organisations can come tlthink they own those organisations and can do whatever they like. They are wrong!!

Great post Faire, and your so right you never wake up going "damn I wish I'd drunk more wine, this hangover just isn't enough!"
Well done you on losing 5lbs. Last night I had grape, raspberry & apple fruit drink with ice cold lemonade was lush!
Today I've had butter & chocolate spread on toast with cups of tea x

fullofhopefullness Sun 19-May-13 11:02:51

Faire i have a lovely ikea white jug with little white matching glasses I keep it filled up in fridge with sparkling water and ice with any combination of orange lemon and lime slices (depending on which I have to use)

fullofhopefullness Sun 19-May-13 17:42:54

Sorry I didnt mean to bring all thread to a halt! Its just a little white jug but makes drinking water more aesthetically pleasant!

Mintyy Sun 19-May-13 18:06:00

I love your posts Faire! My motivation for ignoring wine witch is weight-related as much as anything. You've lost quite a lot of weight overall haven't you?

Not drinking today. Feeling fiiiiiiine grin.

Hello and happy Sunday to ALL babes!

Mouseface Sun 19-May-13 18:27:44

Afternoon, tis me, Mouse

Okay...... so now I am deffo going bonkers. I have just sobbed at the end of Evan Almighty!!! WTAF? After laughing my head off for most of the film, Nemo loving the animals and sat there going 'wow' each time another new creature arrived, I sob like a baby at the end hmm

The bit where the Dove is in the tree, God and Evan do the dance and then all of the crew, actors, etc dance too with the credits rolling, you know, another funny bit??!

If it's all the same, God, Jeff, Bruce Almighty, whoever you are up there, could you please, please stop this roller coaster of hormones I am currently on? I have been so blue, really sad and down all week. So much going on....... battles to fight,

Today was the first day that I felt okay, I felt okay after having a lie in and being snuggled up with Nemo who is full of another cold, then BANG. Tears!

I hate my hormones. Does anyone want them? Seriously, they're yours, just say! All yours.

<goes off to find ITV+1 because Nemo wants to watch it again!>

dementedma Sun 19-May-13 18:56:28

Hey all. Finished feeding the masses and slobbing out in the bedroom. Finding the house just too cluttered with everyone home. This flat isn't big enough for 5 adult sized people, all falling over each other. Feel.....I dunno .... a bit lost and teary and tired.sis says it is delayed reaction to Richard and a form of grief. Maybe she's right.
He was given a 20 pound TESCO voucher yesterday as a reward for his hard work with the work squad, and he was overwhelmed. He says a new guy came in today "in a bad way" so Richard gave him some of his food. So Mich suffering, and so many small kindnesses

Fullofhope pretty sure it wasn't the little white jug. This bus can be very empty rattling along at the weekend with everyone doing what they do in RL xx

lonnika Sun 19-May-13 20:08:00

Hi - Have found tonight hard sad. But so far so good smile
fair - I am currently drinking Strawberry and elderflower juice mixed with diet lemonade.
Full like the sound of the jug smile
Well yesterday I went swimming and today have walked for three miles smile
Ma - sometimes human kindness is overwhelming. Glad Richard is Ok

Ladame Sun 19-May-13 21:06:41

Mouse Oh sweetheart, I know exactly what you mean, bloody menopause or peri-menopause of whatever hormone hell we are suffering from. Dropped a dish of vegetables on the floor today whilst cooking dinner and was found sat in the middle of them sobbing my heart out wtf? DH thought I'd really hurt myself and it took me half-an-hour to calm down. So, if you find any way to offload them, let me know and I'll package some of mine up too wink

Well done Lonnika, just think of how good you will feel tomorrow that you resisted the ww another night.
I'm off to bed, work feels hard just now but know the more I'm there, the more I'll take in then won't feel this way (I hope!)
Night night lovely brave babes xx

Mouseface Sun 19-May-13 21:31:58

Ladame - did you see it wasn't my thyroid? I did think that I'd had that test. Deffo Peri-meno for bloody sure.

Maybe we should start a support group in Menopause? You and me? And any other Babe who at living in the hormental hell that we are! grin

Night all.

Ma - lots of love to you and Richard xx

Clutter - kick ass tomorrow, you can do this, give it a bit more time. xxx

venusandmars Sun 19-May-13 22:24:49

mouse I think that you've probably got my menopause too. I'm knocking on the door of 52 and not a bloody (sic) sign of it yet - still regular as clockwork. Although I've assumed that there's not a cat's chance in hell of getting pregnant so I've given up on all the contraceptive crap. (and if I'm now the oldest woman in Scotland ever to have a baby I know you lot will be sniggering!). Anyhoo - just pop that menopause stuff in the post to me, I'm quite fed up with it all smile

ma very touched by your post about Richard and the TESCO vouchers. And yes I think that your feelings are very natural. While we are in the 'active' phase of caring for someone - sorting things out, keeping them safe, we are flooded with adrenaline. Come down from that and the result is tiredness and weeping and disorientation. It's not nice or comfortable, but its ok and it's part of the recovery and balancing. This weekend my dm (very ill in hospital) is a wee bit better and I've cried more over the last couple of days than I have when she was at death's door.

Loving lots of positive post about how people are keeping on day to day to day. It really is worth it.

lonnika Mon 20-May-13 06:54:01

Day 21 smile
Best thing about being sober - the sleep !! I am sleeping so well smile
Worst thing - nothing smile
hope all other ladies are ok - see u later,
L

greeneyed Mon 20-May-13 08:18:50

Lonnika thank you, your post is just what i need this morning. Today I will not be drinking. Have a great day babes xx

Morning all,

Well after a long run of 1-2 bottles a night last night I had one beer. I got half way through it and realised I didnt want it. Something that never happens with wine for me.

Any road up I feel as though I am on day 2 but it is only day 1 and today I will not bedrinking.

Thanks for your post Ion
Morning Green hope you have a great day too

aliasjoey Mon 20-May-13 09:26:12

another one here feeling weirdly emotional - I burst into tears watching an RSPCA advert.

Am begining to wonder if maybe some of these symptoms are the 'M' (I can't bring myself to say it, I'm only 42!)

I go through times of getting these sudden hot flashes on my face, got them a few months ago then they went away, now they've come back. I look like this blush Could the insomnia also be a link? (I can't tell by periods as have been on depo/implant for years)

Lemonylemon Mon 20-May-13 09:58:21

Morning babes!

Isinde that's good news. I hate the 1-2 bottle times.....
ma so glad that Richard is doing well. Please God, you've caught him in time
full your job sounds a nightmare at the moment sad
mouse damn those hormoney things... I'm peri or am reaching meno at the moment - it's damn difficult, on top of all those other things that you're dealing with too. Hope that you manage to bang some heads together re. Nemo
lonnika go you! That's fantastic.
gugg keep going
venus open mouth, change foot? grin
clutter hope you told ww where to get off
purps hope DD is ok, sounds like you've got your eye on the ball
pan welcome
green hope you ok
ladame whatever (peri)menopause stuff is going on, it ain't funny. I'm more clumsy than a clumsy thing.

<<Waves at whoever I've missed, but hoping I haven't missed anyone>>

Job news - well, I'm still shaken. Can't really say much, except that my job has gone and I've been moved to an area I know nothing about.... Found out about it on Friday, so went home and had wine and had wine again on Saturday night. AF free yesterday, so today is Day 2...

Roll on holiday.....

aliasjoey Mon 20-May-13 10:39:40

lemony that sounds very stressful about the job - no wonder it triggered an urge to drink. When do you move to the new job?

ma thats great news about Richard! He sounds calm and content?

lonnika 21 days is fantastic! Is it getting easier?

Well last night, I got 2 mini bottles of wine. But (due to various dog-related circumstances) didn't open the first until quite late. And then... it seemed to get drunk much slower than usual (not gulping it desperately) anyway, by the time I went to get the second it was nearly 11pm.

And after about 5 minutes indecision, I put it back and didn't drink it! I'm pretty pleased with myself, that hasn't happened forever for years. It took a few minutes of thinking it through - tired, need to go to bed, must sleep - to realise I didn't really want it. Completely amazed at myself, I had 187ml of wine and it was enough !

Had a funny idea this morning. About the 'Fuck It' button. That moment (for me) that goes 'Fuck it, might as well have another'. I imagined the button inside a box. Remember those old fire alarm boxes? You had to break the glass with a hammer?

So, I imaginged that I could still press the button, but I have to be desperate enough to pick up the wee hammer and break the glass first. Just pause a moment, and think 'Do you really want to do this?' I don't know if this is making sense to anyone else. grin

Ladame Mon 20-May-13 12:17:54

Mouse That sounds like a plan! Wouldn't it be great if we could get the Wine Witch in one corner of a boxing ring and Hormental Monster in the other and leave them to bash the hell out of each other while we go shopping and have a nice froffy coffee in the sunshine.

Lemony and Joey I'm either crying my eyes out over the donkey advert (don't think about it, don't think about it ..) or knocking everything over and constantly losing things, keys, the dog, my contact lenses. Lemony sorry to hear about your job problems, is your new role completely different? Lonnika you are doing so well, much admiration!
Isinde I'm on day 2 today too. Sending Ladame vibes to you through t'interweb - you can send some back to me if you like flowers.
Ma Things sounding so much better about Richard, that's really great.
I must admit, I did like the 'List of Us' idea, it helps me feel like I know you all a little better.
Purple Hope things are ok with you sweetie.

This thread is not accepting new messages.