Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you love your sister more than your DH

(59 Posts)
MotheringShites Sat 27-Apr-13 22:30:53

I was just reading an article in the MoS about identical twins. It made me think about my sister (not a twin) and how much I love her. I think it's more than my DH but obv not more than DCs.

Anyone else love their sister more than their partner?

Wilding Mon 29-Apr-13 11:16:25

No DP at the moment, but none of my previous partners would ever have come above my sister.

Salbertina Mon 29-Apr-13 07:01:07

Its good to hear about healthy , close sibling relationships on here. Sadly, my dsis is rather mixed up and jealous, never made the effort for a close, adult relationship with me hmm or to offer support through my hard times as i have through hers; on the rare times when we do meet, its ALL about her. Rather enabled by my indulgent yet critical parents and her weak dh, not a great combination for a healthy grown-up to have.

So no way, much as i doubt us at times, dh wins hands down!

arsenaltilidie Mon 29-Apr-13 01:25:38

If i loved my DP as much as I love my DSis then we have a problem.
Vice versa.
Regardless of how much i slag off my sis, no one is allowed to say any bad things about her.

BrittaPie Mon 29-Apr-13 00:28:51

If my sister slagged off my DH, I would be annoyed at her, but listen to what she was saying. But I would never live with my sister as she would do my head in.

If my DH slagged off my sister I would give him about five minutes to explain himself, then leave him.

(I have actually left him, tbh. Not over my sisters, for other stuff, but I am maybe biased...)

If ANYBODY slags off my children they don't get the five minutes.

I will only hug my children and DH (even though we've split up, I hugged him tonight) and sisters/parents in extreme circumstances.

Different types of love.

readyforno2 Mon 29-Apr-13 00:27:17

Believe it or not, she just phoned me...

BarredfromhavingStella Mon 29-Apr-13 00:26:39

No cos I don't have a sister, pretty sure though that if i did I'd still love DH more, mainly as this is a love through choice.

Love my brother, can't stand the fucker though so same as above... hmm

readyforno2 Mon 29-Apr-13 00:18:36

Without a doubt. She's on the other side of the world just now and I really miss her sad

willyoulistentome Sun 28-Apr-13 23:53:34

In the burning building scenario it would be..
1) kids
2) mum
3) brothers
4) horse
5) MIL. (Yes really. She's lovely)

Not sure if I'd bother with DH.

chipmonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 23:40:05

Tough question!
I love my children the most.
Dh is always here but dsis has always been there. In testing times, dh has definitely been more of a suppport than dsis but she could probably say the same of her dh and me.
I wouldn't like to have to choose!

Selba Sun 28-Apr-13 23:38:50

yes

Jojobump1986 Sun 28-Apr-13 23:28:42

I love them differently. My love for DSis is probably closer to how I feel about my DCs, although much less intensely. She's 6 years younger than me & I've always sort of 'mothered' her. I feel v protective of her whereas DH can look after himself! If it was a one-or-other type situation I'd probably choose DSis purely because I'd feel more responsible for her safety than for DH's.

Almostfree Sun 28-Apr-13 23:18:01

I'm an identical twin and I would choose her over my now Ex-DH every time. But that's because he's an arse - in the early days of my marriage he made me choose between her and him (he was jealous of how close we are) and I put him first. Until I realised he was trying to drive us apart and that generally he's not a very nice person.
Any new partner would have to accept that she's a huge part of my life and not try to compete.
Much as we bicker and argue I can see us sharing a room at the nursing home when we're in our '80s, still bickering and arguing....

ZZZenagain Sun 28-Apr-13 21:58:47

about the same but my sister is elder and can be a bossy madam, so on the whole I prefer dh.

2rebecca Sun 28-Apr-13 21:56:25

I love my sister but we are quite different. We have also lived several hundred miles apart for many years which tends to mean her view of me is a bit stuck in the past.

colleysmill Sun 28-Apr-13 19:28:58

I adore my sister - I'd walk to the ends of the earth for her. She has been my structural support as i for her (i hope) at different times. She is brutally honest with me, she understands everything , she's my sounding board, my biggest critic but my biggest champion and is just generally bloody brilliant and my best friend.

Dh though is complimentary to that though - he tolerates much more, understands with a different set of eyes but also loves unconditionally (again I hope!) and makes me believe I could conquer the world.

I love them same amount but like others have said in different ways . life has taught me noone is indispensable but if I lost either of them them it would leave me bereft.

ArthurCucumber Sun 28-Apr-13 19:23:38

No, although I didn't grow up with my sisters so am not sure what a more usual type of sibling bond would be like. Of course there's a major bond, but on the other hand my dh is someone I chose. As things are (i.e. not having grown up with them) he'd definitely win in the save one or the other scenario.

LadyBigtoes Sun 28-Apr-13 19:15:02

No, but I do wish I had a sister I was close to in the way some of you are. I have two - one is great but we're very different in tastes and lifestyle and don't see each other much. The other has always been hard work for me and I've had to pretend we are close while finding her at times impossible. I've recently pulled away more which is a relief. But I fantasise about a sister who could be a true equal, friend and support. (Which is more like what my DP is, so he gets the love!)

IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 19:10:30

I love my sisters and dh differently.

They know me since childhood which gives a different dynamic. And we can revert being 10.

However, you have to be nice to sisters - you never know when you might need a kidney.

thegoldenfool Sun 28-Apr-13 19:06:41

i am an identical twin, and love my DP so much, he is so lovely and caring and we have made together lovely DC

but as seen from this site that isn´t always forever, whereas my sis and I all being well will still be gossiping together when we are 80 . . . .the love is different and perhaps more unconditional

Naysa Sun 28-Apr-13 14:05:46

I love my sister more than DP but I don't like her at all. It's only the fact that she is my little sister that I haven't punched her in the mouth yet blush

Cloverer Sun 28-Apr-13 13:56:06

I don't know actually.

In a "who would you save from a burning building" scenario I'm not sure if I'd go for DH or my sister.

VerySmallSqueak Sun 28-Apr-13 13:53:03

Not much fussed with either tbh.wink

Biscuitsneeded Sun 28-Apr-13 13:46:43

Hmmmm. I don't love my brother more than my DP. I love my kids most in the world. But actually i trust/can rely on/feel more valued by my best friend than my DP. I guess if I had a sister that's how it would feel, assuming we got on.

fishybits Sun 28-Apr-13 11:37:48

No!

She made me choose between her and DH. I chose DH.

juneau Sun 28-Apr-13 11:30:09

God no! My sister and I are not particularly close. I love her, but nowhere near as much as I love my DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now