Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you ever have an evening like something in a movie?

(50 Posts)
RomanHolidayer Sun 21-Apr-13 20:46:58

I was in Rome this weekend. I was walking along, in the early evening, minding my own business, looking at a map, and a tall, handsome frenchman asks me if I'm lost. We start a conversation, we go for a coffee, he invites me for dinner, and we have a lovely conversation, from art to psychology to literature, and at times I laugh so much, it's hurting. He walks me home, and kisses me on the cheek, and that's the end.

I know I'll never see him again, but it just felt so unreal, and lucky to have had such a pure, almost fantastic night. Seeing him again would only be a disappointment.

This sounds like I'm a journalist (I'm not), but I wonder if this has happened to others. I'm genuinely flabbergasted.

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Apr-13 20:48:52

WHY WOULD YOU NOT SEE HIM AGAIN?

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Apr-13 20:49:16

Sorry, didn't mean to shout!

RomanHolidayer Sun 21-Apr-13 20:51:11

Because he lives in France, and I almost think the evening was just too perfect to be real - seriously

fridayfreedom Sun 21-Apr-13 20:51:14

No film like evenings but plenty of 'Outnumbered' ones!

Chubfuddler Sun 21-Apr-13 20:51:30

What she said. You didn't get his number? Seriously? Are you mad?

Gay40 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:54:25

I quite often have a day like a Harold Lloyd moviereel.

RomanHolidayer Sun 21-Apr-13 20:54:48

I got his facebook details, but I just it's too much of a fantasy. I may wait to see if he messages me

Lucyellensmum95 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:55:35

Sigh!

Gay40 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:57:07

Actually DP and I had a movie evening in Florence.
We were in Florence one summer evening, and wandered onto the main square. There was an old-fashioned merry-go-round with brightly coloured horses, going endlessly around. We could also hear live opera, an aria. We just knew someone on that square was being silently garrotted.

RomanHolidayer Sun 21-Apr-13 20:59:40

I suppose what I'm asking is whether this is the type of thing that is best left as a fantasy evening - one evening of pure fun - in Rome, a handsome, funny frenchman, etc - and leave it as a happy memory

Yeah I used to have plenty of evenings like the one in Human Traffic... grin

Chubfuddler Sun 21-Apr-13 21:02:55

NO! He is clearly Fabrice de sauvterre and thd love of your life (although that didn't actually end well as he was shot by the nazis and she died in labour but we shall overlook those minor details).

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sun 21-Apr-13 21:05:03

Good grief. France isn't bloody Indonesia you know. It's just right over there!

foolonthehill Sun 21-Apr-13 21:07:05

mostly my life at the moment reads like an Eastenders script (but with a different accent) am envy of your lovely cinematic evening...and grin that life does sometimes exceed expectations!

Lueji Sun 21-Apr-13 21:08:06

And plane fares can be cheaper than train. smile

SinisterSal Sun 21-Apr-13 21:08:11

See hum again! Even if it doesn't work out the way you'd like you might get The Wars of the Roses or Kramer vs Kramer out if it

PenelopePortrait Sun 21-Apr-13 21:10:59

Groundhog Day.

RomanHolidayer Sun 21-Apr-13 21:11:20

I know France is close, I'm just sitting here glowing at the unexpected magic I experienced - sure that any meeting again can only disappoint

Meringue33 Sun 21-Apr-13 21:15:03

I have had two beautiful evenings like this in my life... When I bumped into Man #1 a second time I was horribly disappointed... When I bumped into Man #2 a second time HE was horribly disappointed blush, oh yeah and he turned out to be married anyway!

NoelHeadbands Sun 21-Apr-13 21:19:11

We just knew someone on that square was being silently garrotted

Proper, full on snort at that grin

greeneyed Sun 21-Apr-13 21:19:23

Yes once, he turned out to be an utter bastard- don't believe in fairy tales - cynical old me smile

Seriously though it soubds lovely smile

whethergirl Sun 21-Apr-13 21:22:19

There are times when my life feels film-like, not specifically evenings.

One time, after reading a book, I contacted the author to say how I much I enjoyed his book. He wrote back, and pretty soon we were emailing each other daily. After mentioning my toilet flush was broken, he offered to come round and fix it. We went to B&Q to get the parts, and I helped myself to some chewing gum in his car, not realising it was Nicorette. About half an hour later I was a nasty shade of green and practically passed out on the sofa with the author man fanning me.

It was all very Bridget Jones-esque.

DontmindifIdo Sun 21-Apr-13 21:27:11

Oh for goodness sake - I met DH the night before he returned to to a European city from a trip to the UK, we met, exchanged details, emailed back and forth, then he got a business trip to London and invited me to meet him (I was living up north then). We've been together for 13 years now.

Do not assume that's it with the sexy Frenchman. I could have thought with DH - "no, it won't be as good when I see him again." but well, it seemed worth the risk that my happy memory of that night would be ruined. I'm currently expecting DC2.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained young lady. wink

MamaMary Sun 21-Apr-13 21:30:11

Sounds lovely, OP, what a lovely memory to cherish. I agree that it would spoil the magic if you were to try to pursue it any further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now