Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The golden rule for getting over a break up

(47 Posts)
boyfromipinema Fri 19-Apr-13 14:12:43

So you've just been dumped....for whatever reason.
You're totally heartbroken but need to let go and move on.

What is the one golden rule you'd give to someone in this position?

I read a lot of posts by people in this situation, indeed I've posted about it myself.
I've also read a lot of the advice regarding looking after yourself and distractions, but I'd be interested to know what people think is the number 1 tip.

dondon33 Sun 21-Apr-13 15:53:05

No contact, detach and disengage are all great pieces of advice. Try to find other things to do - new hobby, exercise, go out.

Absolutely don't see, sleep with, cyber or fone sex, don't get drunk and call him, BAH! if you can't trust yourself - don't get drunk at all.
I'd do well to take my own advice

Let 'time' play it's part.

Lizzabadger Sun 21-Apr-13 12:45:07

No contact INCLUDING no absolutely no Facebook stalking, googling etc etc.

JennyFromTheBog Sun 21-Apr-13 10:56:21

Well, within 18 months I could see that he was a pompous ass who just wanted to move on with the moral highground, so he delivered a character assassination so that he could dump me and feel like the good guy, I saw that quite clearly but yet it still damaged my self esteem. I ended up in an abusive relationship after it..... and I'm dealing with the repercussions of that now! I had a bit of psychotherapy after leaving the abusive man and I mentioned the dumping+character assassination to the psychotherapist a good 12 or 13 years after it happened! smile I swear I am over it now!

navada Sat 20-Apr-13 16:34:39

Jenny - how long did it take you to get over him?

JennyFromTheBog Sat 20-Apr-13 15:07:51

I saw mine on tv a while ago. he was bein asked (in his professional capacity) for his reaction to a certain news event. I hope that gives the picture without outing me, but I looked at him and just saw a total stranger. he had a familiar face but that was all. It was like looking at a newsreader. He was familiar in his appearance but the over riding emotion I felt was a sort of curiosity that I could look at him, on tv and feel........ nothing confused . Over a person who nearly had me in a psychiatric hospital at one point.

lottieandmia Sat 20-Apr-13 13:53:43

The only way to get over someone is to let time do its work. It doesn't offer much comfort when you feel heartbroken but in time you look back and all those awful feelings have gone.

cluecu Sat 20-Apr-13 13:50:52

Things I've learned from my own and other people's experiences:

1. As little contact as possible and do not try to be friends
2. Do not underestimate the power of time
3. Buy Nytol
4. Talk about it to your close family and friends and whoever else you want to. Work mates can be very kind and make life easier and you will be surprised at the advice and kindness you get from strangers
5. It's not about looks or weight. having said that exercise will make you feel better as will a haircut, facial and healthy food.
6. If there are parts of your life you've neglected or ambitions unfulfilled, being single is a great time to realise them.
7. You WILL be happy again

smile

CastroIsDead Sat 20-Apr-13 12:27:07

you will get there boy. well done on the marathon that will help.
haven't actually got under someone else yet. was going to and just knowing i would have did help.when you first break up you think there will never be anyone else but there will be.
the list is a good one, another list of all the great things about you will help too.
i split from my ex 6months ago, first couple were awful but now i wake up im the morning and tell myself how cool and amazing i am feels kind of wierd at first but now im starting to believe it and believe that i deserve someone who is equally as cool and amazing as i am xx

boyfromipinema Sat 20-Apr-13 11:26:15

And some sense of perspective

boyfromipinema Sat 20-Apr-13 11:24:45

I guess retaining one's sense of humour doesn't do much harm

Andcake Sat 20-Apr-13 11:11:40

Agree with much of the list but here's mine
- get v drunk with girls friends
- even with stonking hangover go to work and throw yourself into it - keep up the 'facade' of professionalism. Warn a friend you might call from the loo in tears or allow yourself to cry the second you get home
- go on holiday - if your on your own and no friends to travel with invest in a holiday with someone like explore or exodus. Meeting lots of nice independant people
- buy yourself something nice - even just a £5 cheap bracelet
- not the get under someone but a pointless snog with a stranger who you'll hopefully never see again.

Still18atheart Sat 20-Apr-13 11:01:21

Minimise contact
As tempting as it looks, the bottle of wine/vodka/gin/ copious amounts of your favourite tipple is not the way to go
It is ok to talk to friends etc.

Lovingfreedom Sat 20-Apr-13 10:54:05

I wrote a list of all the horrible and unacceptable things that my ex did, then whenever I started wavering or seeing the relationship through rose coloured specs, I took out the list and read it. That worked well.

Cut contact as much as possible and never ask or take notice about anything to do with how he is or what he's feeling.

Do things you enjoy.

blueballoon79 Sat 20-Apr-13 10:17:58

I'm another who thinks "get under somebody else" is the worst thing to do.

I did this after being brutally dumped and felt used and disgusting afterwards.

In my circumstances the only thing that really helped was time.

I kept telling myself that I wouldn't feel that bad forever and it would pass. I went out a lot more with my friends and forced myself to go for long walks every day to get some exercise.

Now I have no feelings about him whatsoever and am so relieved that he left- he did me a huge favour!

JennyFromTheBog Sat 20-Apr-13 10:03:34

The worst thing to do is to 'get under somebody new'. when i was dumped (with a brutal character assassination), I worked out, bought some new clothes, thoght I'd moved on but I ended up with an horrbly abusive man and had two children with him sad that would never have happened if I hadn't 'selected' that man while I was still feeling like a worthless rejected heartbroken loser.

navada Sat 20-Apr-13 09:59:41

The first month is the hardest - if you can get through that you'll be fine.
& as everyone else has said, No contact! - it's the only way.

We've all been there smile

Chin up x

alicepicalo Sat 20-Apr-13 09:48:27

Detach, disengage, absolutlely no contact of any sort, chuck out any memorabilia and sell anything gold wink

boyfromipinema Sat 20-Apr-13 09:17:03

The old method was to join the foreign legion.
Might give that a try.

TeenyW123 Sat 20-Apr-13 08:38:35

Respect yourself.

Teeny

MadAboutHotChoc Sat 20-Apr-13 08:23:09

Detach, detach and detach smile

onefewernow Fri 19-Apr-13 22:28:12

Restorer has it.

Ledkr Spain Fri 19-Apr-13 22:26:35

No contact for as long as possible.
Stop people before they launch into talking about seeing your ex.
Don't fall stay strong.
Plan something nice to look forward to.
Keep busy.

boyfromipinema Fri 19-Apr-13 22:23:47

I thought about doing that and even started a dating thread on this site. But the truth be told it was tongue in cheek as I don't feel ready for that yet and it would be unfair to use a woman just to alleviate my low self esteem...even if she was up for it.
Ill be ok...just entered a marathon for end of year so that will keep me occupied...and fit.

CastroIsDead Fri 19-Apr-13 21:54:04

best way to get over someone?
get under someone else grin

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 19-Apr-13 21:48:30

exercise! Use your frustration to work that much harder. Also clean out closets and organize. Always helped me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now