Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

when did your partner tell you they loved you?

(31 Posts)
timetofaceit Thu 18-Apr-13 22:06:33

I'm just wondering whats normal really. My last relationship was abusive and I remember thinking gosh he's very quick with his 'I love you's' he told me within the first month or so. Shocking now I think about it but that quite often is a tell tale sign of a controlling person, or clingy person it certainly wasn't normal now I look back although at the time I was flattered. I know everyones different but just wondering how long you were seeing your partner before they told you they loved you??

badinage Fri 19-Apr-13 17:05:25

If someone is acting like he loves you, that is far more valuable than the words themselves. It works the other way around too. I usually know what my feelings are towards anyone by how I act towards them.

Branleuse Fri 19-Apr-13 17:15:55

after about 2 weeks.

I told him after about a month/5weeks.

It was all very intense.

It still is tbh, nearly 8 years later

Ouchmyhead Sat 20-Apr-13 01:19:15

Told my DP after about 3 weeks, when I was drunk, the next day I said 'what I said last night you know, I know I was drunk but I did mean it', he said it to me about a week later. 4 and a half years later we are getting married this year!

It's different for everyone though, DP was my first boyfriend and my first love, for him he'd not been in love for about 3 or 4 years when he met me, so we were both really ready to fall in love and quite open to saying it. For you it sounds like you have a lot to work on, an abusive relationship must be awful to have to get your head around and move on from. Keep enjoying each others company and seeing where it goes, it definitely sounds like you deserve your happy ending and by taking your time you are making sure he's right for you and you're protecting your heart! Good luck!

BookTart Sat 20-Apr-13 10:07:24

It took 53 weeks and me breaking up with him before he said it. Not ideal and not very romantic! He's still a bit stingy with it, but not as bad as he once was. I was his first gf after he had his heart well and truly broken by his fiancee, so I cut him some slack but in hindsight I should have cut my losses and run far sooner.

Boyfriend before him took 1 week, which I found far too fast and broke up with him over it. I just don't see how it would be possible so quickly and I think sustaining that long-term would be pretty difficult once he'd seen what a slob I am smile

charlove Tue 23-Apr-13 20:07:20

the day after we got together. but we had been friends for nearly 10 years and had known eachother since preschool, so nealy 20 years. i was so happy because when i woke up that morning next to him i realised i had never been happier and didnt want to wake up without him ever again. only 2 years o. we are engaged and have a beautiful 5 month old dd, we drive eachother crazy like you wouldnt believe but we still say "i love you" about 10 times a day (and mean it).

i admitt we moved very quickly and to anyone looking from the outside in it didnt look like it could possibly be real, but all the happiest memories of my life were with him and even though everyone thought we were being crazy and stupid i went with my heart and my gut instint and i wouldnt change a thing.

hope that helped in any small way. x

Skinnywhippet Tue 23-Apr-13 20:23:19

Our first date! He's a soppy one.i was a bit put off by it because I though how can he even know me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now