Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

A happy update from TIL

(389 Posts)
TisILeclerc Thu 18-Apr-13 14:29:10

She and the children are where they need to be now and she is very grateful for all the support and encouragement she has received. I hope very much that she will return here but for now she’s intending to lie a little bit low.

Please just be sensitive to the fact that this is a huge, life changing decision for her and I think she would like it toned down a bit wrt pompoms and congratulations. I hope very much that this will change as the days pass and she becomes accustomed to the incredulous joy of freedom. She is already sounding positive about life where she is right now.

This time they really are ‘safe’ in the way that everybody hoped previously.

NB I have not used any names in this for a reason. Please be aware of security as she is understandably very worried about him locating her

thanks

wordyBird Mon 10-Jun-13 20:37:59

Hello GS. It's good to hear from you. :-) I can imagine the sense of freedom in being able to make everyday decisions, without being contradicted, disapproved of, or undermined every step of the way.

You mentioned about explaining to exH how ill you were with dc3. You wondered if you'd made it clear enough to him. But I think by the end of your paragraph, you'd seen the truth for yourself. He did know, GS: he is many things, but he is not a stupid man. He knew why he'd been called there, and why they'd made special arrangements for him to stay.

Please don't feel responsible for not making things clear. His acting as if it hadn't happened, or didn't mean anything, was a choice. I hope that helps to reassure you a little.

HowlerMonkeyBelievesInAllan Mon 10-Jun-13 22:59:15

If he was ignorant of your state of health, then it was wilful ignorance.

I'm happy to see you referring to him in more hmm tones GS, I always got the feeling that you were a bit scared to show your feelings before smile good for you.

I understand that you currently don't want to discuss your past with anyone other than a counsellor, but if you do ever want to open up to anyone in RL then you could always choose a time/place when your DC weren't around. They won't necessarily find out.

By the way, I was wondering - how have your parents responded? Are they at all supportive? Apologies if you've told us this before.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 11-Jun-13 06:43:35

Good to hear from you, GS. Glad things are settling down and you are opening up to the counsellor.

FairyFi Tue 11-Jun-13 09:53:57

I collapsed alone with 13 mo as a result of not wanting to 'stress' FWex, or leave him alone with 13 mo (by taking docs advice and going to hospital)... its because we don't think there's a choice, yes.

having begged him to stay to provide for me, he 'had' to go to work.

All these things you know, make you realise how bad he was, and how much he compromised your lives and invaded or removed your choices. It can feel confusing unravelling it all... take care xx

FairyFi Tue 11-Jun-13 09:56:19

I think my sense of responsibility was because of the decisions I made, which still confuse me. I made the decision to stay at home, which was inherently flawed, because I was then creating a risk for my baby, a risk I was trying to avoid [from him] by staying home! how confusing.

jessjessjess Tue 11-Jun-13 11:34:32

Just spotted this thread and figured out who you are. I remember feeling so sad and worried for you. I am so happy you got out and are safe. You have been so brave.

GettingStrong Tue 11-Jun-13 14:29:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FairPhyllis Tue 11-Jun-13 20:01:47

Hi GS! Glad you are feeling the pleasure of everyday freedoms.

Mmmnotsure Tue 11-Jun-13 23:30:42

Hello GS. Lovely to hear from you.

And I gave a little cheer at that casual 'Ex wasn't actually there . . . ' bit of your post. Such a little word - 'ex' - but a huge one at the same time.

I have three dc and I know what you mean about trying to meet all their needs across the ages. You do feel torn, and that you can't give enough to each. But you have given them each other, and that widens their choice. Three dc can be a real positive. As children there is usually one other sibling who is willing to play, and when they are older each will have two other people who are potentially there for them. Hopefully dc1 will find life makes more sense and becomes easier as time goes by and s/he is further away from the damaging life you led before.

Charlesroi Wed 12-Jun-13 00:55:50

Hi GS. Nice to hear from you again.

I won't bang on about you not going back, because I don't think you will.
The dcs are bound to be unsettled after all that has happened, but now you can have 'the talk', apply sanctions if you see fit and know that someone will not subsequently 'up the ante' and make things worse. This can only be a good thing.

Wishing you and the DCs peace and happiness, as always.

Spiritedwolf Tue 18-Jun-13 21:37:52

Just found this thread after spotting your new nickname posting on another thread and wondering if it was you. Sorry I'm a bit late to the thread, I often just check my watched threads so missed it.

It is so good to hear that you and your children are safe. I'm certain that whatever difficulties you have now are not nearly as worrying as living in an unsafe place with an unstable FW where you had to be constantly vigilant of your children - even more than most mums to keep them safe.

I hope you are finding your laundry easier now that you can leave the machine, even if its one you have to share (laundrette etc).

I know it won't always be easy (life rarely is), especially dealing with the aftermath of the psychological damage he's done, and learning how to be free and responsible for everything again, but I'm sure you are up to it.

You are stronger than you seem, smarter than you think, and braver than you believe.

Lots of respect from me (and all of MN as far as I can make out) for escaping his web of lies and undermining to find your strength and save yourself and your family. Take care. thanks Thanks for letting us know you are safe, you've been on my mind since the last thread ended.

WhiteBirdBlueSky Tue 18-Jun-13 22:44:48

I just thought I can't complain that no one talks about women being manipulated into pregnancy despite the fact that it's supposedly common, if I then slink off and never talk about it myself. But it's hard to address it without sounding a bit bitter.

I think you could cut yourself a bit of slack here. You have only just left. There might be times when you feel a little bit in turmoil. In a little while, once all this has started to pass, then you will be ready to talk about it. I'm sure that will come.

FairyFi Thu 20-Jun-13 08:15:51

just revisiting your thoughts around choices, this:

choices made to survive, will always necessarily be different to those made in freedom.

Don't every forget that your reality was that feeling of limited choices, thats what being abused is about, limiting your choices hun. Its our job of work, to not take responsibility for that. Awful hard sometimes, but true nevertheless. Go well. xx

GettingStrong Sat 22-Jun-13 14:05:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now