Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What does your DP do that drives you crackers (lighthearted)?

(177 Posts)
Lottapianos Wed 17-Apr-13 13:37:46

When I was moving in with my DP 5 years ago, I asked an older colleague for advice about long-term relationships. She said that she had been married for 15 years, and sometimes she and her H were just so in love and life was a bed of roses. Then there were times when she could have murdered him for the stupid stuff he did, and it was even worse because the stuff that bugged her had been bugging her for 15 years!

That's the way it goes with me and DP too. Sometimes I absolutely adore him, sometimes I could scream kill him . Things that are currently irritating the living shit out of me:

- absolutely non-stop bloody singing and whistling
- leaving his hoodies and tracky pants draped over the chairs in the living room for days on end
- sneezing that sounds more like screaming and makes me jump out of my skin
- not turning the TV/radio/computer down when I get in from work so that I have to scream my response at him when he asks 'how was your day?'
- watching every single bastard program that's got anything to do with railways or construction or technology
- on days when it's his turn to cook, asking me what I want for dinner and then whingeing that anything I suggest is too complicated/expensive/boring/something else negative. WELL YOU BLOODY DECIDE WHAT TO COOK THEN! <breathes>

He's really lovely and very sweet but at times my nerves take a shredding!
Come and share your gripes smile

NuhichNuhaymuh Wed 17-Apr-13 20:59:43

Oh the leaving the house thing made me just remember another!! When he leavex thd house he says goodbye several times (because he doesn't leave after the first time he says goodbye for some reason) AND each time it's like he's off the war, the long emotional goodbye type thing. Just can't do the "I'm off bye <kiss>"

SnookyPooky Greece Wed 17-Apr-13 21:01:12

Switches the tv over to some shite or other then after 10 mins he falls asleep.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Wed 17-Apr-13 21:03:39

Farts and blames it on the cat. She's only a little thing and if she actually made the smell they generate I'd be concerned that she was dying.

MooMooSkit Wed 17-Apr-13 21:06:38

Snores

Eats SOO loud and his jaw clicks its really annoying.

Gets out of the bath and leaves his dirty clothes on the bathroom floor rather than taking them to the laundry basket in the room where he is going anyway :/

Thinks HIS way is the RIGHT way and if you do something different to him he has to tell you about his fantastic way even if your quite happy the way you do it. grr.

when he get lo changed in the morning sometimes if its his turn, he leaves all his pjs/pants on the floor. VERY annoying.

kakiqueen Wed 17-Apr-13 21:18:42

This thread is great! My husband leaves any bits to be recycled on the work surface RIGHT next to the recycling bin. Literally, right next to it. It would take 2 seconds to actually put in in the bin. It drives me nuts. I have told him so so many times, but he is incapable of doing it.
Argh.
And he yawns really loudly and annoyingly when he is tired.
'ayyyyyyaaawwwwwn',followed by a little bit of lip smacking for good measure.
Grrrr!

-Snores
-Leaves socks next to sofa for me to find in the morning, if not there then by side if bed but if im really lucky they manage to make it next to the laundry basket.
-Partially puts lid on toothpaste so when I pick it up it always falls in sink.
-never puts shoes on shoe rack, instead they collect on the floor.
-doesn't dry bathroom floor if he splashes whilst in shower.
-always makes us late when we go out (even his cousins wedding)
-sits on sofa with hand down shorts/trackie bottos (at waistband) when moaned at, replies, look my hands here, I'm not bloody holding it am I!
-FUCKING xbox!
-there are only so many top gear episodes I can handle watching in a row
-never, ever eats an apple to the core (funnily enough his nan used to tell him off for same thing when a child!)
-hates me dumping stuff in HIS garage.

But even with all his flaws hes a perfect dad! And I am far from perfect!

Kione Wed 17-Apr-13 21:29:40

I laughed at the farts! mine blames the on DD thank god sge is now 3.5 and can defend herself. She even farts louder and stinkier than him if rhe occasion arises. Abd then he laughes and us so proud of her envy

onefewernow Wed 17-Apr-13 21:44:20

But are some if these things so lighthearted?

My H used to do some of these things too for years, eg the turning a blind eye to mess, or making it. After twenty years or even ten i wanted to kill him.

And then discovered finally that he could do all of them; he just didn't want to. He does them now, because I expect it, rather than what I used to do, which was either to complain about it or dismiss it as a personality issue. It isn't. It is laziness.

wonderstuff Wed 17-Apr-13 22:06:14

My dh won't wash cutlery - what is it with that? Drives me bonkers - I look think 'oh good washing up done' proceed to cook, only to find half way through that there are no forks and so I do indeed need to wash up - but first I have to get all the cutlery hiding in the sink out.. I quizzed him once, he said cutlery was boring?

He grinds his teeth in his sleep - I know he can't help it but its horrid.

Doesn't empty the bath.

Assumes anything he has to say is much more interesting/important than any radio or telly I'm watching.

Loses stuff - so often, because he thinks tidying and hiding are the same thing

I drive him potty leaving clothes on the floor in the bedroom and I do the dramatic yawn.

Lottapianos Wed 17-Apr-13 22:07:04

'sits on sofa with hand down shorts/trackie bottos (at waistband) when moaned at, replies, look my hands here, I'm not bloody holding it am I!'

OMG yes yes to this. Hands down his pants all the flaming time, like a toddler hmm I tell him it will fall off if he doesn't leave it alone smile

Clandy Wed 17-Apr-13 22:11:13

Adding: cannot find anything even if it is glaringly obviously right in front of his eyes!

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Wed 17-Apr-13 22:12:38

Oh yes, also the show rack thing. He INSISTED that we have one in the hall but there are multiple pairs of his shoes all over the living room and in the kitchen.

Thingiebob Wed 17-Apr-13 22:20:10

There is definitely some common themes here!

Mine leaves his coat and shoes wherever he takes them off, so in a small puddle on the floor.

He regularly wears his clothes inside out - I give him the once over before we leave the house most of the time!

Never puts anything away. If he goes in the kitchen to make some lunch, I can tell you exactly what he has had due to the ingredients left on the work surface.

Gets into bed without moving random shit the kids/me/him have dumped on bed. So clothes/toys etc all just get pushed onto my side and he happily goes to sleep. Same with sheets. Never bothers putting then on properly. Drives me up the wall.

Never puts dirty crockery in the dishwasher or near the dishwasher if it is full/on. Instead dumps all over nice clean work surfaces. A clean surface lasts for all of two seconds in this house until he wanders in and puts his dirty cup right in the middle then wanders off again.

Never puts his keys and wallet in the same place so every time we leave the house we have ten mins of searching, whilst I grit my teeth and wait.

HotCrossPun Wed 17-Apr-13 22:23:35

Can somebody who is a stander please explain the logistics of this.

I have never heard of/seen anybody do it.

Mind = blown

DaysieGoneBananas Thu 18-Apr-13 09:24:04

Never cleans the toilet. And doesnt know why I make a fuss about cleaning down the walls after hes liberally splashed everywhere with his horrible stinking man wee. Erm...because I dont realky want my home to smell like a URINAL!!!

oldwomaninashoe Thu 18-Apr-13 09:56:48

Empties the dishwasher onto the kitchen work surface instead of putting it away. I'd rather he left it in the dishwasher ...at least its tidier.
We have a carrier bag bin(a frame with a lid you just hang a plastic carrier in) he takes the full bag out, but never replaces it with a new one.

Lottapianos Thu 18-Apr-13 10:05:04

Walks at commuter-stomp speed everywhere, leaving me about 10 paces behind him usually. Except for when I fancy going for a nice brisk walk in the park - then he decides to walk at the speed of a geriatric snail. Drives me potty!

Talks at to me in great graphic detail about stuff I could not give a shiny fig about, like the history of the railways, the inner workings of his new bit of technology, exactly how he has managed to get the TV freeview box to sync up with his PC, and all while I look at him like this hmm and confused

It's a good thing he's so cute smile

Offred Thu 18-Apr-13 11:29:52

breathing... no joke... he just has an exceptionally irritating way of breathing/snoring/blowing on me!

flubba Thu 18-Apr-13 11:57:51

Oh this is good. Let me rant ...

He puts the small plates at the front of the dishwasher instead of the back and it drives me fucking crazy and no, it's not irrational grin

When he unpacks the shopping, he takes things out of the bags which are on the side, and puts them on the side. When and only when they are on the side, does he then put them in the cupboards/fridge. WHY???! WHY??? Why not just put them in the fucking cupboards in the first fucking place???! (and breathe....)

When he takes clothes out of the airing cupboard, he takes them off the hangers to then lay them on the floor next to the wardrobe, where we have to re-fucking-hang them to put them away!

ALWAYS has his shit music on so loudly nobody else can hear anything and probably does it so he can't hear my nagging

Leaves all manner of shit in his jeans pockets. NEVER cleans them out so there are old snotty tissues, receipts, hairclips (from the girls, not him!), crayon stubs and congealed coins. Arggghhhhhhhhh

Breathe and smile inanely ...

XBenedict Thu 18-Apr-13 12:01:03

He empties the washing up bowl of water if he uses the taps. So I might have just filled up a big hot bowl of bubbles to do something, he'll decide he wants a cup of tea and for some reason he is incapable of filling the kettle without emptying the sink angry

Jammybean Thu 18-Apr-13 12:11:10

This is a great thread Op.

Dp gets out of the shower doesn't dry his feet then patters his wet feet all over our wood floors. I can't stand wet socks. hmm

He does the washing up and leaves the sink full with dirty water.

He spends 45 minutes in the toilet reading whilst doing a poo. I mean who does that?!

Beamae Thu 18-Apr-13 12:17:59

Even if I have already opened the tin foil or cling film along the serrated edge, if he goes to use it he will rip open the short end, slide the roll out and tear it by hand. Which means there is nothing holding the roll in place for the duration of it's life span. This morning I noticed that he has opened his breakfast cereal at the bottom, which means there is no little flap to keep the cardboard down and it gets stuck each time I open the drawer. Yes, I could stick it back down with tape and open it properly. But I might just divorce him instead. wink

Lottapianos Thu 18-Apr-13 12:49:54

Glad you like it Jammybean <twirls>

It's very therapeutic isnt' it? I find other people's partner annoyances hilarious, although I know they would drive me insane if I actually had to live with them!

HesterShaw Thu 18-Apr-13 12:55:55

He drowns his cereal in milk then pours most of it away
He clogs the plughole with poured away Shreddie sludge
He trails sand through the house and car after surfing and never clears it up
He is incapable of remember important emotional things e.g. hormones and times of the month
He needs reminding of everything e.g. I am currently undergoing IUI and am stuffed full of progesterone. But apparently forgets this every day
If it gets to tea time and he is hungry, rather than starting tea he will make himself toast
He refuses to blow his nose but will sniff incessantly
He has a shouty sneeze
He gulps catarrh
He leaves his clothes on the floor at night
He treats the cat like a bloody princess

(God, this is cathartic)

He messes up the throw on the sofa and never straightens it
He leaves his shoes by the back door for other people to trip over
He turns the television on automatically, whether or not there is something he wants to watch.

I feel like Marge Simpson when they went on a marriage guidance retreat and she loses her voice after listing Homer's faults for hours.

Lottapianos Thu 18-Apr-13 13:05:35

'If it gets to tea time and he is hungry, rather than starting tea he will make himself toast
He refuses to blow his nose but will sniff incessantly
He has a shouty sneeze
He gulps catarrh
He leaves his clothes on the floor at night'

It is extremely weird how many of these issues we all have in common. Hester, all of the above is my DP to a tee - just substitue 'make himself toast' for 'stuff himself with peanuts from the cupboard' hmm

And if we had a cat, it would be treated like royalty too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now