Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can he force me to be a SAHM?

(86 Posts)
BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 17:15:19

As you're probably aware after my previous thread my DH is a jerk to me. He is however good with our kids. Anyway, I've been a SAHM since our eldest was born in July 2010. When then had another in Dec 2011.

DH thinks 'I have it easy' and that I am 'lazy'. He resents me being a SAHM. Yet whenever I try to bring up the topic of me working, he won't discuss it. My wage wouldn't cover childcare.

So am I trapped into being a SAHM? I am so desperately low. I can't do this anymore. With no respect, no appreciation, I just can't do it anymore.

My GP has boosted my antidepressants from 50mg to 100mg. I have a HV coming on Thursday (I've told her I want to return to work).

Am I trapped?

Also am I entitled to job seekers?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 12-Apr-13 20:08:01

I agree with Cinnabar

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 20:09:48

I'm phoning the Samaritans. I've asked DH to leave for just 30mins so I can make a phone call, and it looks like he's going to.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 12-Apr-13 20:12:38

Good.

garlicyoni Fri 12-Apr-13 20:12:47

See, I also think perhaps your feelings about parenting are all muddled up with being bullied & put down.

You said:
1. What makes you so sure you're a shit mother? I'm starting not to care what happens to the DC
2. Do you hate being a SAHM? Or just being an SAHM with a bullying H? The latter.

This reads like you would be a far more contented mother without H getting in your face about everything.

However, I don't want to push you to feel that, as a woman, you must want to be with your children. Not all women do. Getting some space - and, most importantly, some decent talk - has to be very important for you now.

Wish I could come over, feed you chocolate and give you a good listening-to!

garlicyoni Fri 12-Apr-13 20:13:13

Oh, good! Well done, you.

Ledkr Fri 12-Apr-13 20:22:36

Mary - the Samaritans helped me immensely many years ago.
Well done love.

bigbuttons Fri 12-Apr-13 21:21:29

Every view of yourself at the moment is completely clouded by your depression and being with this man.
What you are feeling is not the truth, I know I have been there, please hold on to that.

CinnabarRed Fri 12-Apr-13 21:25:38

My brother is a Samaritan - thank you from the bottom of my heart for calling (our DF committed suicide when I was 16 and DB was 13 - I wish he'd called someone).

BranchingOut Fri 12-Apr-13 21:31:34

I am really alarmed that anyone is advising the op to leave without her children.

What I think you might need is urgent support, possibly in-patient admission.

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 22:03:10

Wow. Bizarre night.

I phoned the Samaritans. They were great. As I was finishing my conversation with them the door bell went. So I answered - it was the police!

Turns out my friend was concerned about me and had phoned the police! I've just spent an hour dealing with them and talking to the 'crisis team'. They checked the kids. Had a word with DH. They've left now, and DH does not look pleased.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 12-Apr-13 22:04:34

I didn't read all of your previous thread. Is there ANY chance he might be verbally or physically abusive to you now as a result of this?

BlackMaryJanes Fri 12-Apr-13 22:05:44

No idea sad

flaminghoopsaloohlah Fri 12-Apr-13 22:14:53

Shit and fuck. That was possibly not the best move on your friends part. Your DH's reaction is alarming. OP are you ok?

flaminghoopsaloohlah Fri 12-Apr-13 22:14:57

Shit and fuck. That was possibly not the best move on your friends part. Your DH's reaction is alarming. OP are you ok?

Ledkr Fri 12-Apr-13 22:19:14

Op if you feel even the slightest bit scared stay calm and get out as soon as you safely can. Do not antagonise him tonight play it down until you can get through the night safely.
Is is worth pming someone your r name and area in case you need help quickly

flaminghoopsaloohlah Fri 12-Apr-13 22:21:43

Ledkr speaks sense.

Crikey sweetheart you're going through it tonight. What is your rough location? Are you safe?

Possibly not the greatest thing your friend could have done, but out f concern for you and DCs I do understand why.

Please come back and just tell us that you are safe xx

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 22:25:25

you need to leave

Ledkr Fri 12-Apr-13 22:34:17

Unfortunately I speak from experience sad

OP are you ok?

pigsDOfly Fri 12-Apr-13 23:22:31

How are you now OP?

Please don't think of leaving without your children. You sound terribly depressed and your GP just throwing more medication at you is not going to deal with your situation.

Sounds to me like you're going round in circles. Forget finding work at the moment. You're priority is to get your depression sorted out. Your DH does sound to be, if not the whole reason for your depression, a huge part of it. You need to be away from him at least until you can see a bit more clearly. You need to concentrate on your health and your children. As others have said WA is the place to start.

flaminghoopsaloohlah Sat 13-Apr-13 08:05:34

Checking in on you OP. Can you let us know if you're ok?

BlackMaryJanes Sat 13-Apr-13 18:36:34

I'm okay guys. Thanks for your concern. Nothing has changed with my situation but I'm okay.

pinkyredrose Sat 13-Apr-13 18:47:17

You are depressed and your partner is unsupportive and you have children who will pick up on this
How much clearer can I make it! Your environment is making you feel bad and will continue to make you feel worse. Get your head out of the sand and have a good look at your life, take your children and run. I mean it! Your life will only be worse if you stay.

Ledkr Sat 13-Apr-13 18:50:00

Thank goodness for that.
Are you going to do anything?
I remember how hard it was to make the decision to end things but I'm just so glad I did. My life is so nice I dread to think how it would have been with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now