Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So after 14 years together, 12 years married and 3 dcs he lobs this out of left field ...

(236 Posts)
SimoneDeBeaver Thu 21-Mar-13 20:20:28

He'll be back late because he's going to a Freemason's dinner.

God I don't even know which bloody emoticon to put, as I don't know whether to laugh hysterically, cry or blow up.

This is a man who has always been fun, kind, thoughtful, supportive, dare I say it, a feminist. And he cannot seem to understand why this has left me feeling extremely unnerved. (mainly because I'm not sure what it is and why it is)

I mean, what do they DO? I know they do lots of charidee work, but we already give all we can afford, volunteer a lot, involved in church ... I mean, FTLOG why does he need to join what seems to me a misogynist, secretive, frankly rather silly old-boys club?

Aaaaargh!!

DrHolmes Thu 21-Mar-13 21:19:18

TO be fair, i'd join if i could. Just want to know the secrets because i'm nosy

Archetype Thu 21-Mar-13 21:20:36

df is quite intellectual and so are the other people I know in the 'club' how ever we live in a small area and I don't think they have much influence over anything. df was revising his lines for his pledge the other day...they were hilarious
very old fashioned

SimoneDeBeaver Thu 21-Mar-13 21:21:50

Eeeruuurgh, we just don't have the time or money for all this.

Thanks for all the input. I will raise the subject when he returns.smile

My dad is one.

As am I and as was my grandmother before me.

<runs off thread>

Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 21:25:08

I know loads of masons, in fact the second in command is a close family member. Most of my male family members except my dad and grandad are in it and they have both been invited in. My dad works in London and gets people giving him the secret handshake (that they do to try and suss out who else is a member) all the time. He taught it to me! He must look the part...

I've been to some of the family dos - mostly dinner dances or tea parties to raise money for charideee, they're great fun.

It basically is just scouts for grown ups, no magic rubbish. Said family member is an atheist afaik. I've not seen any evidence of it being influential but I guess it depends on the individual lodges and members.

They do have female masons (in their own right, not just wives of) and they have their own lodges. It all sounds like a load of woo though.

I should add. I never go to meetings or anything - I don't have time.

I did when I was younger though.

My great uncle was one of the very high ups back in the day.

LineRunner Thu 21-Mar-13 21:26:51

They are 'lady masons'. Not actual masons.

Which says it all.

Bitdifferent Thu 21-Mar-13 21:27:31

Drholmes, he goes because he wanted to find out about it. He wanted something new to study. (Think highly qualified HP at the top of his field with a pHD on top). He enjoys the conversation, meeting different people some twice his age who have time and experience to share with others.

Line - sorry but I am a member in my own right of The Order Of Women Freemasons.

FarBetterNow Thu 21-Mar-13 21:28:36

Masonic symbols are the same as black magic symbols.
The US dollar notes are covered in them
There are masonic architects who design buildings with masonic symbols.
Symbols do have power, whether good or bad. Churches have crosses.

I am not saying all Freemasons are evil by any means, but they are a law unto themselves.

LineRunner Thu 21-Mar-13 21:31:42

'The Order Of Women Freemasons'

Precisely.

rhondajean Brazil Thu 21-Mar-13 21:32:35

Its a seperate order though, right Freddie? You aren't a member of the order of Freemasons?

RandomMess Thu 21-Mar-13 21:33:38

Freemasonary is anti-christian at it's core, probably not obvious at the fringes etc but in essence it is and it's err can't remember the word - deeply anti-women.

Well technically it's the honourable fraternity of antient freemasonry.

If you want to get technical.

Well, we are viewed as being the same by the male Freemasons, apart from the fact that we are female.

I also have entitlement to join the eastern star (I haven't) but I did carry an eastern star white bible on my wedding day.

Bitdifferent Thu 21-Mar-13 21:37:19

See my post above re Guides etc not having boys. I'm guessing women Freemasons don't admit men.

And the Eastern Star have their own funny/weird initiations.

Guides don't have boys.

Why is it only male institutions that have to be inclusive? Shouldn't female ones as well?

LineRunner Thu 21-Mar-13 21:42:53

Well, we are viewed as being the same by the male Freemasons

No, no you/we aren't.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 21-Mar-13 21:43:18

OP, I have sooo many problems with everything that freemasonry is about I'd feel the same if my DH decided he wanted to get involved

noelstudios Thu 21-Mar-13 21:43:26

It is like Games Workshop for sad, fat, old bastards in my book!

Well I'm not sad or far. Well maybe a bit. And I am old ....

The rituals are viewed as complying.

But it's not worth an argument.

I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

It's an old boys club. Most of the men in my dads lodge are retired old farts. They do a lot of charity work.

I haven't been to a lodge meeting myself in years I'm anything but an expert so it's best I now out now

noelstudios Thu 21-Mar-13 21:47:38

Orks and tape measures etc. Hilarious! In my line of work it is always the suspicion that those promoted above their capability are somehow 'lodged up' - who knows what the truth is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now