Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

No best friend

(11 Posts)
Ditsydoo Sun 17-Mar-13 21:56:15

Apologies I'm new to this. Firstly hope i've posted this under the right thread... This probably sounds pathetic but i have no best friend. Just want to ask am i missing out on not having one? I have friends close ones but none that i could call a best friend. Am i the only one not to have one?

pictish Sun 17-Mar-13 21:59:27

No. A lot of us grow out of having a singled out bestie.
I don't have 'best friend'.

recall Sun 17-Mar-13 22:02:55

I have two best friends , and I would go to them with different problems, they are like opposites . We were all at school together but in different gangs.

Do you have a sister Ditsydoo ? That is what I sometimes feel i am missing out on.

Oopla Sun 17-Mar-13 22:07:38

Without wanting to sound like a greetings card DP is my best friend. I have close friends but it has to be someone you can fully trust with your heart and soul to I think.
What do you feel you are missing? It might be that your friends think of you in a closer sense than you imagine, do you really let go with them?

Ditsydoo Sun 17-Mar-13 22:08:29

Yes i do have a sister and i am close to her.

Diagonally Sun 17-Mar-13 22:11:08

I haven't had a "best" friend for over 20 years. Have a handful of close friends (school) who I see infrequently as we are spread out geographically, and the rest are more transient friendships through work, school etc.

I don't feel the miss of a best friend at all.

Ditsydoo Sun 17-Mar-13 22:18:33

I share everything with dh and he is my soul mate and my everything! Anything personal or any worries i can only confide in my dh.

LadyWoo Sun 17-Mar-13 22:19:10

I don't have one. Every friend I have/have had always refers to someone else as their 'best friend'

i think finding a best friend is like finding a partner tbh. i haven't found a best friend yet. well, i think i have but i'm not hers ergo we are not besties.

i don't let this worry me. i am always on the lookout for candidates grin

Ditsydoo Sun 17-Mar-13 22:20:04

Thank you to all that replied. Makes me feel better and not a freak by not having one!

Dryjuice25 Mon 18-Mar-13 01:47:58

Just don't end up like me though.I met someone I thought was my soulmate and I couldn't live without them. I was happy to ditch my friends (I was naive and he encouraged it) and it was just him and I against the world!!! When it ended I had nowhere to turn, it was tough but I'm glad I learnt the lesson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now