Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To be a weeny bit suspicious of DP going to work today?

(404 Posts)
TallDwarf Sun 17-Mar-13 11:09:26

DP owns his own company along with his business partner. He does sometimes work weekends but its always from home, today he has gone in to work in one of their popular city locations. It was a last minute plan that he announced on Friday. He said he needed a business meeting with his partner, but they're emailing each other every day and see each other at least once a week at work anyway so seemed a bit weird to give up a weekend day for this.

I've emailed him a couple of times this morning but not got a reply, but have had a text from him.

Am I reading too much in to nothing here? Just seems weird to go to work on a Sunday, text me but not read or reply to emails...?

LondonNinja Sun 17-Mar-13 14:37:36

I think it's a case of waiting it out, annoying and frustrating as that is. Plan something for this afternoon to take your mind off this situation and try to keep an open mind. When you see him tomorrow, see what he has to say. It might be a confidential business thing, who knows? You'll know pretty quickly if it's bullshit.

Ask him for details of the hotel, as well, if you feel he's hiding something. Not being alarmist, but just in case you need to check anything subsequently.

Hopefully, it will be the case that is has been worried sick about the meeting as has gone into himself like a typical man while he gets it over and done with.

MajorB Sun 17-Mar-13 14:40:20

Can you phone the office landline and see if he picks up?

Also, do you have anyone you can drop your toddler off with, drive to the hotel for a "surprise" evening together?

If he's on his own you get a nice evening with your DP, if he's not then you know immediately what's going on.

Depends how suspicious you are really.

Loulybelle Sun 17-Mar-13 14:44:16

If it dont feel right, it probably isnt, though tread carefully about how you approach this.

HollyBerryBush Sun 17-Mar-13 14:54:24

Do you think his business might be going tits up? a couple of bad payers and it can all go down the drain.

Geordieminx Sun 17-Mar-13 14:59:00

Could you take dc and drive to city, see if his car is outside office?

aldiwhore Sun 17-Mar-13 15:04:56

He should give you more details. It does sounds a bit odd. It could be 'innocent' odd. It could be he's having a wild covert affair (unlikely) or it could be that he's including drinking within the business remit. I'd put my money on drink.

My DH often meets colleagues in the pub at lunchtime, and sometimes they use the time to catch up over beer, some of their better ideas have come out of a long session.

However, he would ALWAYS tell me that's what is happening and I'm careful not to throw a hissy fit when he does so he never feels the need to lie...

How would I deal with the above? Well I'd try very hard to remain absolutely calm, non accusatory, whilst still conveying that you'd prefer to know details if it's coming out of your weekend 'family' time.

Do you have a way of tracking his iPhone online? Maybe you can see where he is exactly.

HillBilly76 Sun 17-Mar-13 15:06:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

everlong Sun 17-Mar-13 15:10:43

Up until him saying he was sleeping over I wasn't dubious.

TallDwarf Sun 17-Mar-13 15:14:02

Why am I suspicious? Because I have a feeling that I should be.

I've thought of a plan, going to do it now.

QOD Sun 17-Mar-13 15:14:25

Do you drive? I'd go for a drive.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 17-Mar-13 15:21:37

He's an adult that means he should be capable of conducting himself appropriately.

HildaOgden Sun 17-Mar-13 15:24:01

What's your plan?

scratchandsniff Sun 17-Mar-13 15:29:09

Hopefully It's nothing to be too worried about. I bet they've had the meeting and decided to go out on the piss.

TallDwarf Sun 17-Mar-13 15:32:51

Just rang him and said MIL has offered to have our dc overnight so I can come keep you company in your hotel. He went off it! Not happy with that plan at all, unusually angry about it when he could have just said its not ideal but nice idea.

MIL is going to have DC and I'm going to get the bus there. I know I must sound bonkers but I can't ignore this feeling. I've had it for the past month, lots of little things that I can't put my finger on.

StuffezLaBouche Sun 17-Mar-13 15:34:20

It doesn't sound good and if you've been feeling something isn't right for a month, chances are something isn't right. :-(

somedayma Sun 17-Mar-13 15:35:12

but now he knows you're coming so...

TallDwarf Sun 17-Mar-13 15:37:08

He doesn't know I'm coming, I told him I'd leave it if he was going to react like that.

Xenia Sun 17-Mar-13 15:37:46

He should be pleased. No matter how late the dinner goes on you will be waiting for him in bed in the hotel. Lucky him. What is there not to like?

LittleBairn Sun 17-Mar-13 15:38:21

I would listen to your instincts but it may not be another woman it could be the business is in trouble.

everlong Sun 17-Mar-13 15:39:27

He's up to something. What, I don't know.

What other things have made you uneasy the last month?

50shadesofknackered Sun 17-Mar-13 15:40:30

It does sound suspicious op, especially his reaction to u going to the hotel. I hope it's nothing tho. Good luck

scratchandsniff Sun 17-Mar-13 15:41:27

Oh that doesn't sound good. I really feel for you, such a horrible feeling when you know something is up. You don't sound bankers at all, I would have to go there too if I were you. Still hoping it is just a case of going out for drinks with business partner/client.

Follow your instincts, something is amiss.

I hope you find out soon, I think the not knowing is usually worse.

AThingInYourLife Sun 17-Mar-13 15:42:24

If it's a problem with the business, why is he angry at an unexpected night in a hotel with his wife?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now