Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dating chat thread 46

(1000 Posts)
lubeybooby Thu 14-Mar-13 13:37:55

all dating related chit chat here!

off we go

pixiebelle123 Thu 14-Mar-13 18:06:59

Just marking my spot in the new thread! Still dating pof man, although we did have a bit of an argument last night, he's a moody git sometimes.

I wear nerd glasses and I'm proud of it!

OhWesternWind Thu 14-Mar-13 19:23:31

How's it going with him generally Pixie? Hope there aren't too many moods from him. He should still be trying to impress you! What does he say if you pull him up on it?

Have been mailing with two gsm men who are both slightly hard work but that seems to go with the gsm territory. One seems perfectly nice but with no sense of humour or wit but that could be just in writing. The other, I don't know. Meeting the other sometime next week when he's back in London. VM (one date then he went on holiday) is back next week too, so we'll see.

I have lost 6 kg in four months. More importantly I'm getting my own shape back from a lot of gym work and can now fit into another dress again so grin

Winefiend Thu 14-Mar-13 19:32:09

It's amazing what a bit of creative googling brings up. It appears that my pof bloke has a very, VERY murky past. Now, this may go some way to explain his quietness over the past day or so.

Particularly after a conversation we had in which I mentioned I used to work in prison (but with the lads, not on the punitive side) shock

As my young friend would say OMG

mercury7 Thu 14-Mar-13 19:34:41

I've had it with the dirty sleaze site for now and have made a new pof profile, mind you there is a fair bit of overlap..but no penis pictures in profiles smile

lubeybooby Thu 14-Mar-13 19:37:31

well done Juliette!

Pixie I agree with OWW, he should be trying to impress you. You deserve more.

winefiend shock oh dear..

No reply from TT hmm

AndLibbyMakesThree Thu 14-Mar-13 19:39:45

Hmmm, might not be popular, but I had laser surgery on my eyes, and it was one of the best things I'd ever done.

I had to wear glasses from the age of 8, and hated it. Like Juliette, I could never find any that suited me. Later I wore contact lenses, but they made my eyes so sore and uncomfortable - even if I was having a great evening out, I often left early as I was desperate to take my contact lenses out. Not good.

So 6 or 7 years ago I took the plunge and had laser surgery.

Funnily enough, I quite like men who wear glasses - it's the whole 'geek look' I suppose.

Winefiend Thu 14-Mar-13 19:56:41

mercury earlier on when I had a quick glance at pof, in the 'online' bit there was a bloke whose profile pic was simply an erect penis. His, I presume. I imagine his profile didn't last long grin

OhWesternWind Thu 14-Mar-13 20:06:40

I really like men in glasses, women can look really good too. But I'm another geek lover, quite a few of us on here!

The problem with glasses is just all the practical stuff, steaming up, getting rained on, sliding about on your nose if you're hot and sweaty. Not fun! I got lasered after my son was born and it's brilliant. I wish I'd had it done sooner especially as I was really, really short sighted so it was a real problem for me.

Keep forgetting to ask Ike how's the Botox doing now you've had it a while? Did you have fillers in the end? Can't afford it at the mo but might start a Botox fund!

mercury7 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:09:20

oh jeeze Wine, is there no escape from the penis pictures confused

mercury7 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:11:18

problem I find with specs is the lack of wrap around style prescription shades, in the summer I have to wear contacts with sunglasses cuz my prescription sunglasses just let to much light in around the edges!

AndLibbyMakesThree Thu 14-Mar-13 20:13:44

Yes, the practical stuff with glasses is tricky, but for me it was more the self-esteem stuff. I went from being a 7-year-old who loved nothing more than being in front of the camera to an 8-year-old who avoided having her photo taken because I felt so ugly with glasses.

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Mar-13 20:24:28

I am getting a (fairly modest) bonus at the end of this month nowhere near the amount a friend of mine got, who bought a brand new 4x4 for cash with hers . Normally it goes into the house repair/buying off the Ex/rainy day fund. But as I am not getting any younger hmm I am thinking of spending it on my face (Botox/fillers, that kind of thing). I would spend it on my teeth, but I don't think the amount I'm getting will come anywhere near what I'd need to spend to end up with some perfectly even smile...

If I could have laser surgery, I probably would. It's just that my chances of a successful outcome are minimal in which case I would have permanently impaired vision.

Wine what category of murky?

Pixie what's up with him? as others have said how he reacts when you pull him on it is what to watch.

Velvet braces can actually do a lot of the work if you can stand it. I think there is an emphasis on veneers etc because of the makeover programmes. The invisible braces take a lot longer and are still a bit visible though.

Snapespeare Thu 14-Mar-13 20:32:28

I think I look weird without my glasses. smile

velvet don't you dare spend good money on a load of monkey-spunk being injected into your face you are GORGEOUS and I will NOT hear another WORD about it. <crosses arms>

Had nice bath, shaved legs (!) attacked rampaging chin hairs... Am about to paint toenails..my fave pizza was yellow-ticketed in sainsbos (this always marks an evening of indulgence) and having a glass of wine. Very content. Is nice.

OhWesternWind Thu 14-Mar-13 20:37:10

I'd just like to get rid of my frown lines which make me look cross and grumpy when I'm not. Eye bags too, but they don't really bother me. All the nice lines from smiling can stay smile

Alittlestranger Thu 14-Mar-13 20:39:33

If Buffy is like any of the other geeky, Democrat activists I've known then the size of the frame and cordy thing is very much for effect. The whole kooky librarian chic thing is kind of a uniform for them.

I'm thinking of trying out Match. I've been irrationally snobby about it, but it can't all be accountants from the suburbs right?

mercury7 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:45:28

here's a potato who's helpfully named himself after a brand of crisps:

www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=51164853

grin

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Mar-13 20:51:28

Juliette I wouldn't think it's worth the risk of permanently damaging your eyesight to have the laser stuff done (but easy for me to say as I don't wear glasses...yet). I don't think braces would do me much good, my teeth are more unevenly sized than crooked (they are crooked as well, but its more the size, and the colour, that I don't like!). I could just have them bleached but can't decide if it's worth it...

Snape grin you're too kind, I am not gorgeous (certainly wasn't earlier tonight when I was attacking my chin hairs and upper lip hairs in the magnifying mirror...!)

Winefiend Thu 14-Mar-13 20:52:00

Juliette in prison overseas for stabbing someone category of murky, together with (I suspect) either past serious drug use or dealing (I couldn't quite get the entire gist, it was some stuff I gleaned from a drug forum when I googled name/location).

Now, a murky past I do not mind at all. My future plans involve setting up my own charity around helping rehabilitate ex-offenders as I love working with them, so no judgement here.

I was just a bit shock I think as I haven't met him so obviously you're conjuring up all sorts. The man (well, youngish man) I was seeing before Xmas had spent some time inside (way back in his youth) for dealing. He told me after a few weeks (I already knew though) but it didn't concern me as he had massively turned his life around and everyone makes mistakes (albeit a huge one in that case).

To chuck in some 'woo', both of the above have the last 3 digits in their mobile numbers. As my mate said earlier, as I've deleted both their numbers, if I ever receive a text from either, I'll be wondering 'now which ex-jailbird is this?' hmm

mercury7 Thu 14-Mar-13 21:00:43

I've heard that bleaching leaves you with uber sensitive teeth?

MirandaWest Thu 14-Mar-13 21:06:29

I am scared of laser surgery going wrong - I am pretty short sighted (-11 or so in both eyes so in the "if I don't know where my glasses are before I go to sleep I've had it) category but I've worn contact lenses for over 20 years and my sight is better with them than gasses I think. Especially due peripheral vision).

How short sighted were you OWW? Was it exciting being able to see when you woke up? Sometimes I would love to have that sensation grin. Both Mr Nice and XH wear glasses. Both look a little odd without them tbh

Wine shock. It would be the stabbing I would be concerned about, thank goodness for Google.

Velvet once they are moved you may find the size thing isn't the issue you think it is grin. I did it and was surprised at how much teeth can move.

Snapespeare Thu 14-Mar-13 21:10:14

My best shortsighted story is swimming related. Always took kids swimming on a Sunday afternoon.... Always saw the same guy there as I churned my lengths. As a tattooed lady myself, was appreciative of his full body suit.

Got contact lens trial.

Turns out he was just very hairy...

This thread is not accepting new messages.