Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Your local FRIENDSHIP BENCH needs you! Please go and have a look?

(28 Posts)
fluffyraggies Thu 07-Mar-13 09:23:32

Yes? Come on then ....

Click on 'Local' up near Talk at the top of the page here, pop in your post code, choose your town, hover over Meet Ups, and click the Friendship bench - and there it is.

(You may be asked to think of a new nick name to use on the local board. I was, but it was ages ago. Don't know if that's changed)

If there is no one there yet pleeeeese be brave enough to start the ball rolling. Just say 'Hi, who's there?' or similar.

I've been lurking round my Northamptonshire bench for ages. Hint hint wink feeling lonely and trying to pluck up the courage to post.

Come on MNers, where ever you are, give it a go xxx

GirlWiththeLionHeart Thu 07-Mar-13 09:48:59

I posted on mine and not a pickle sad

Flossbert Thu 07-Mar-13 09:54:28

On the iPhone app it is impossible to read the titles of the 'rooms'. I can see there are several rooms/ threads/ headings for my area (Bristol) but can't see one for Meet Ups - even if there was one I would only be able to see "Mumsnet Local - Bristol - Mee"

If I'm doing summut wrong, let me know and I'll happily join or start a bench!

GirlWiththeLionHeart Thu 07-Mar-13 09:55:14

Can you go to desktop site?

Flossbert Thu 07-Mar-13 09:56:52

Not really. I do most of my MNing in the dead of night whilst feeding Dd2 in bed.

GirlWiththeLionHeart Thu 07-Mar-13 09:59:28

I mean, if you scroll to the bottom it says, go to desktop site, then it's easier to read I think

VictorTango Thu 07-Mar-13 09:59:31

Mine is almost as dead as a dodo

GirlWiththeLionHeart Thu 07-Mar-13 10:00:13

And me too! Thank god for iPhones, night feeds would be v lonely without

I posted on mine but it's very, very quiet.

Just posted on mine, but I'm the first person to post on there since the middle of last month.

fluffyraggies Thu 07-Mar-13 10:47:22

It's so frustrating to hear that people are having problems seeing the page! There have been teething problems with it i think. Trust me though, if i can get to grips with it anyone can (technophobe blush)

Lion heart, Floss, Victor, Arbitary and Anathama - good for you all for looking and/or posting. Surely there are loads of MNers out there who would benefit from a thriving local bench in their area?

I finally plucked up the courage to start a thread on 'my bench' last Monday, after lurking for ages. And today i have had a reply! gringrin <waves to you if you're reading this - you'll know who you are!>

This has prompted me to start this thread.
Can we keep bumping this and see if we can start a bit of a friendship bench kick off?

TheSlug Thu 07-Mar-13 10:51:17

just started the first ever thread on mine

GirlWiththeLionHeart Thu 07-Mar-13 11:03:58

I hope I get a reply on mine, feel v isolated as I've just moved here and could do with a coffee with someone local and friendly

fluffyraggies Thu 07-Mar-13 11:14:06

Oh yay slug! That's so good smile

Lionheart - i hope you do get a reply soon. Yep, all i want is to be able to go for a coffee and have a good old chat every now and again. Have a laugh, share a problem, put the world to rights smile

Would anyone else feel happy saying which bench they are on? If it helps?

I've only posted on one bench - my Northamptonshire one. But obviously i'm near Northampton itself, which has it's own bench. Also i'm near the border with North Oxforshire, East Warwichshire, and West Bucks really!

You can post on a county bench, or a big town within the county it seems.

I posted on the Southend bench. I know there are MNers around here, as there was a thread on Chat about moving here recently.

I hope some other people post. I've got 3 small children and feel very isolated at times.

neriberi Thu 07-Mar-13 13:29:29

Mine is very quiet, I've chatted to few ladies but not everyone replies to you or your ignored totally in a conversation so I've given up (for now)...

TheSlug Thu 07-Mar-13 15:57:24

I'm in Slough!

neriberi Thu 07-Mar-13 16:51:41

I'm in Reading and on Berkshire as well...

fluffyraggies Thu 07-Mar-13 18:03:38

Oh neriberi - don't give up. Perhaps one or two MNers may feel encouraged by this thread to post on these specific local threads.

Anathema - fingers crossed for you. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling isolated.

Slug - i used to live near Slough.

I'm thinking of posting on each of the benches within 20 miles of me! Just to encourage a bit of chat to get going.

Please let us know, posters, if you have some replies on your local boards. If not, stay with us here and we'll keep plugging away at this. I feel strongly that this has so much potential.

I'm not alone on the Southend bench! Hopefully more people will come along and post if they see that it isn't completely dead there.

elizadofuckall Fri 08-Mar-13 09:58:50

Lots going on in the Eastbourne friendship bench so if you are nearby come over and join!!

DIYapprentice Fri 08-Mar-13 10:36:57

I just posted a response to someone else's post in my area - so thanks Fluffy!

melbie Fri 08-Mar-13 10:44:38

No foreign ones sad Shall wander around the living abroad bit...

firawla Fri 08-Mar-13 10:48:04

think im on the hillingdon bench, if anyone is local-ish to here come on over to the hillingdon local section there's a couple of us on there and we wanted to get meets up etc going and all sorts of things but would be great to have a few more people over there, so if anyones out there but shy - please come n join us on the local site!
i will have to go and look on my other surrounding area local sites too just incase theres anyone

neriberi Fri 08-Mar-13 13:14:56

Its very hard to keep up a presence on Local when no one responds. I've tried again this week and nada. I will keep trying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now