Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

rant about men

(42 Posts)
sheridanielsmummy Fri 01-Mar-13 23:06:56

hey

I'm just in a rant mode i'm 20 and my partners 26, i don't know if i'm being selfish or just being a horrible girlfriend, but does any one else think there partners are taking the mick out of them.

We've been together nearly 2 years and have a 7 month old lb together. at first he was amazing, but now it just feels like he taking mick. don't get me wrong he works full time to support us. But as soon as hes home he's straight on the xbox, even while my sons up which i've told him to stop and he doesn't, and tonight he finished at 4 and didnt turn up home till 8 (no call/text nothing) claiming he was doing over time but coming home slurring his words and avoiding me. hes now decided hes taking £40 again to go out tomorrow leaving us skint and the council tax not being paid (again). plus its his birthday Tuesday and i know he will be out again.

he does this pretty much every week, then stays in bed saturday until sometime 3 in afternoon! gets up, plays xbox, eats tea, more xbox, bed. and then same week again.

feels like im just not appreciated anymore and he doesnt want to spend time with either of us.

any ideas how to make him realise. ive tried talking to him but he just gets deffensive and turns it round on me? sad x

ChestyLeRoux Sun 03-Mar-13 13:51:17

Cant believe people are making out 26 is young.Most men I know are dads by that age,and loads of them dont act like this.

If the home is in your name only you can just throw him out. And if he says he's not going, you can call the police to come and remove him by force. You do need to get him out as soon as possible, and either get the bank card off him or contact the bank and get it cancelled and a new one issued to you. He will probably fuck off and not make a pest of himself over contact, but you should get advice from WOmen's Aid - and the CSA so you get some money off him.
Best of luck.

cats22 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:50:15

Rented in your name is good, get some advice.

cats22 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:46:09

Have you got your card back? What are you going to do? You can't continue like this, you need to get away.

sheridanielsmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 23:10:30

rented in my name and hes taken it with him on a night out and withdrawn everything, just checked my online and hes taken all his wages out x

fatfingers Sat 02-Mar-13 21:47:03

Have a look at the entitled to website. That tells you what you can claim. Is your property rented? Is it in joint names? Take the bank card off him tonight so he can't keep spending the family money

You need to call Womens Aid tonight; they can and will help you here.
Their number is 0808 2000 247.

They can help you get out but you need to take the first (often the most hardest of steps) to leave this abusive manchild you are with. It will do you and your child no good at all to remain with such a man, he will destroy you both ultimately.

cats22 Sat 02-Mar-13 20:27:02

There is a website where you can find out about tax credits etc. Google it, you can find out exactly how much you will get as a single mum. Can't imagine you will be worse off than you are now with your partner drinking all the money.

You need to ask around to find out if there is help available in your area. Try the council, sure start or your health visitor. Have you got any friends/family you could stay with temporarily while you find a place to go? Good luck xx

sheridanielsmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 20:09:20

i dont know i have people i cant speak to but i have no money or anything to move out and dont know if i would get any help x

cats22 Sat 02-Mar-13 19:57:10

It's not your fault. You can't fix him. Who have you got in real life to talk to about leaving? You need a plan.

HecateWhoopass Sat 02-Mar-13 19:54:53

So what are you going to do?

sheridanielsmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 19:53:17

i know i am and thats why i am getting so annoyed, he used to be completly opposite, but since having my lb i dont know whats got into him, i tried again tonight and hes stormed off x

HecateWhoopass Sat 02-Mar-13 19:51:03

No. Not all men are like this. Not even most of them.

don't convince yourself that this is how men are, because you are more likely to accept the unacceptable.

you have tried to talk to him. He doesn't want to hear you.

Perhaps it's time to say look, this is what I want in a partner. If you can't be that person, we can't be together. I want an equal, adult partner who is a responsible father, not a man child who prioritises getting drunk and whatever else with mates and playing video games over being a grown up.

maybe it's time you told him that he, as he is, is not what you want in life and he has to make a choice.

because carrying on like this is no good, is it?

He's acting like a kid and you are acting like his mum.

sheridanielsmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 19:50:21

I have pretty much noone around me and cant afford to move, he basically gone out again tonight at 5, came back just now and just because i told him not to come back if hes drunk (last time he fell into the cot) hes stormed out with my bank card in a paddy and gone out with his mates who are all into drugs.

the xbox was a once in a while thing before i had our lb, just seems hes getting more irresponsible every day x

sheridanielsmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 19:47:05

I have pretty much noone around me and cant afford to move, he basically gone out again tonight at 5, came back just now and just because i told him not to come back if hes drunk (last time he fell into the cot) hes stormed out with my bank card in a paddy and gone out with his mates who are all into drugs.

the xbox was a once in a while thing before i had our lb, just seems hes getting more irresponsible every day x

sheridanielsmummy Sat 02-Mar-13 19:44:05

gtedder1 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:52:41

sheridanielsmummy - my ex husband used to come home every evening and sit on his computer playing games and most weekends were spent like that too....sometimes from morning till evening. i would go to bed at night while he would be sat downstairs still playing computer games till very late. If it wasn't the computer it was games on his iphone. most evenings were spent with us sat on seperate sofas, no conversation or anything. Just him engrossed in his games. He didn't seem to help much with DS. And my ex is 40!! Whenever, i complained, he said that he shud be allowed to spend his evenings and wkends as he wishes because he goes to work and pays the bills. We were together 4 years and things just got worse so i left him 5 months ago and have never been happier. smile smile

fatfingers Sat 02-Mar-13 10:48:28

Have you got any other family/friends? I had family who lived some distance away and I realised that my life was a hell of a lot harder living with a manchild than it would be if I lived on my own with dc, closer to my family and friends.

I know very well how lonely it is doing everything for your dc on your own while your dp lies in bed. Ime that is worse than being single because there is someone in the house who could help you but is actively choosing not to.

Ledkr Spain Sat 02-Mar-13 07:46:22

Ask yourself what you will lose/gain from going it alone.
The best possible scenario is that he'd wake up and sort himself out and the worst is you'd be alone to have mates round instead of being in your own all the time and the bills will be paid and you will have some money for yourself.
Easy decision.
Not all men are like this.:

HollyBerryBush Sat 02-Mar-13 07:39:47

if im honest its like im clinging on because i have noone else x

There's your answer. Leave now, there is nothing in the relationship for you. Don't cling on.

HollyBerryBush Sat 02-Mar-13 07:38:24

He must have been like this before you had a baby? frankly the xbox would have been enough for me to terminate the relationship before it even got as far as the baby stage.

TDada Sat 02-Mar-13 07:35:06

Tell him that The Dada will come over and kick his selfish bum

WhoWhatWhereWhen Sat 02-Mar-13 07:30:51

Rant about men? It's sad you picked an arse to have a child with but not all men are like this, hopefully you'll know better next time.

TisILeclerc Sat 02-Mar-13 07:20:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TisILeclerc Sat 02-Mar-13 07:18:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now