Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Virtual Circle of Friends

(345 Posts)
MillyMollyMandy78 Thu 28-Feb-13 10:18:12

On my last post about a lack of friends, so many of you reached out with your own stories/ support/ advice. Several of you also said it would be great if we had our own thread where we can just meet up and have a chat and be virtual friends.
I apologise about the boring thread name - I couldn't think of anything cleverer! So this is me reaching out... Who wants to join me & be my virtual friend? X

Ooh hello! May I join please? I do wearmakeup and i have the heating on to keep the cold from the house. Spring taunted us last week and now naughty winter is back with snow flurries and everything!

AC/DC lullaby sounds great! DS1 used to fall asleep to Ian Dury grin

Feelingood Thu 28-Feb-13 13:11:36

Awwwwww really, I'd like to pop in from time to time. I have just been in the phone to my mother this am, I had no one else to ring sad

I know lots of people in my local area. A smaller group of people I'm friendly with but i don't really have a close group of friends or a best one. I felt quite sorry for myself this am, so lovely to find this thread.

GlitteryShitandDanglyBaubles Thu 28-Feb-13 13:14:05

threebats - my dd was born to the tune of 'killing in the name of' by Rage against the machine. That caused a few '?????' at playgroup. I'll join you in the ostracised oddball mother corner. <polishes badge>
<hands another badge to threebats>

jelabi Thu 28-Feb-13 13:20:48

Great idea, I would love to join.

Monstermuncher Thu 28-Feb-13 13:27:44

Hello all, can I join you too? I lurked on the friendship thread and agree this is a lovely idea for a thread. DD was born during a Barry White song, not intentionally, it was just on the radio in the delivery room :-)
<not as cool as Threebats and Glittery>

Feelingood Thu 28-Feb-13 13:29:56

Least you guys were organised to have your music sorted! We forgot ours which was our home made wedding background music - cheesy eh!

Well I put my baby girl in stone roses t shirt when she was 3 months, is that oddball enough?!

Monstermuncher Thu 28-Feb-13 13:53:02

Love it Feelingood!

pausingforbreath Thu 28-Feb-13 14:10:24

Can I also join in ;-)
Was going to just do my daily shread, but got distracted by MN.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 28-Feb-13 14:37:30

Gah, that shred is evil but effective. Apparently. I wouldn't know as my copy is sitting waiting to be used. I must do it. One day...

pausingforbreath Thu 28-Feb-13 14:40:50

It's indeed evil, the effective? Still waiting ....grin

Get it out of the pack and in the machine, I would appreciate someone else suffering too.

pigsDOfly Thu 28-Feb-13 14:47:43

Ooh, can I join in too. This sounds like a really good idea.

Chat to loads of people while walking the dog, but find it quite hard getting beyond that to RL friendships.

Feelingood Thu 28-Feb-13 15:08:51

have been n found original thread yes low self esteem to point of social anxiety i think i worry far too much n wish i hadnt spoke or got involved. thing is im v chatty n outgoing but then i worry...

ive text a couple of people for coffee dates next week.

Love this thread, such a great idea. Dare I ask to join..........

HecateWhoopass Thu 28-Feb-13 15:15:21

Lovely idea. Is there room for me?

cavewoman Thu 28-Feb-13 15:31:03

Wow - lots of us out there [waves]

So in proper girly chat style - what are you up to at the weekend? Dh and dc1 will be away leaving me and dc2 to eat bad food and watch trashy telly relax.

Anything more exciting going on?

PopeBenedictsP45 Thu 28-Feb-13 15:34:52

Hello, I would like to join too, please. I work from home and don't have a huge social circle so welcome any new friends, virtual or otherwise.

lcdaff Thu 28-Feb-13 16:05:42

Would love to join you. My dd is almost 4 months old and I'm going just slightly stir crazy from lack of adult interaction. Pre mummy days was hardly ever home, so has been quite a big adjustment.
We go to every baby group going locally but only really settled with being frindly with others so far.
Rl interactions are harder these days, sleep deprivation doesn't do me many favours.
Dd tends to doze off to grey's anatomy theme. This weekend dh and I are hoping to take her to the beech or the zoo for the first time.

Chocolatemilkshake Thu 28-Feb-13 16:16:19

Can I join too? Since moving to another country I have no friends at all as I don't know the language very well.

PopeBenedictsP45 Thu 28-Feb-13 16:18:56

Chocolate - I am in the same boat. Are you taking language lessons?

xxDebstarxx Thu 28-Feb-13 16:32:52

me please! I've never been good at making friends. I don't know why but I'm never sure if people actually like me or are just tolerating me.

How is everyone?

Cavewoman relaxing bad food and trashy telly sound like fun! I'm starting a new business and am running my first Saturday class in the morning. The rest of the weekend I may do what you are doing grin

Cavewoman That sounds a good weekend! I have my mum coming to visit us as she really misses us, so we will do something touristy and have a roast.

Debs I know that feeling, I think they put up with me as I'm there. For me it's no self esteem that makes me think that.

AgathaF Thu 28-Feb-13 16:50:04

What's your new business Cavewoman - although understand if you don't want to out yourself grin.

Those who have moved to another country - that must be tough, especially if you don't speak the language. We love France and have considered moving there, but the language thing does worry me.

PopeBenedictsP45 Thu 28-Feb-13 17:05:09

Yes it's difficult. People are incredibly friendly where I am and my neighbours invite me in for cups of tea which is brilliant, but they must find me poor company as my witty conversation runs along the same lines as: "Hello! That is good. I like it. Yes please. Good, very good! No I don't like it. Yes X is good country. Please. Thank you. I like!"

cavewoman Thu 28-Feb-13 17:07:09

Ooh think you meant Debstar! How exciting for you xxdebstarxx - are you nervous for Saturday? Good luck!

AgathaF I had a brilliant 'learn French' CD set by Michel Thomas - it was AMAZING- don't let the language hold you back - France would be wonderful

neriberi Thu 28-Feb-13 17:12:13

I can join please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now