Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DD dad has disowned her - she's 9

(127 Posts)
onemoredayplease Tue 26-Feb-13 09:38:46

Long story but my ex has disowned our dd (aged 9) he literally sat her down and told her he never wanted to see her again. He also told his wife that she can't have any contact with dd. dd loves her
step mum.

Have tried to support her through this but it's very hard. Step mom wants contact so dd has had contact a couple of times in secret. She saw her yesterday and returned with 2 books and a teddie he has thrown all her other toys. She also told me that step mum had told her that her dad says dd doesn't exist and is not part of his life. She has told dd this before and that ex is being horrible to step mum.

Not sure what to do. Can't change ex and have been trying to maintain contact with step mum but dd was very upset yesterday. Talking about contacting her dad to protect step mum. Feel step mum is treating dd as an adult.

onemoredayplease Thu 28-Feb-13 21:03:08

Thanks all. We have now cut face to face contact with step mum. They will keep in touch by texts and letters because my daughter loves step mum and needs to know that she hasn't walked out on her. This way I can also monitor what is being said and stop negative comments. Daughter is happy and I feel more in control. I am waiting for a friend to recommend an appropriate counsellor for daughter to talk to although daughter keeps telling me that she will talk to me. Thanks all for giving me your thoughts it has helped me find a way through which I feel comfortable with. Daughter is my priority but sometimes it's hard to see a way through.

NicknameTaken Fri 01-Mar-13 11:20:34

Sounds like a plan, onemore. Daughter is happy and I feel more in control is a good outcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now