Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can I have half his pension?

(8 Posts)
PuddingWhine Fri 22-Feb-13 18:31:10

Three years down the line??? i wouldnt have the stomach for more battle...

PuddingWhine Fri 22-Feb-13 18:29:09

Did u stay off work to raise his/your kids??? if you did then there were no childcare costs at the time he would have/should have paid half the childcare costs if you had continued with your career to the same level.
so often divorcing men blame their xws that bringing children into the world cost them. raising kids is what costs but its easier to blame/grudge the woman

PuddingWhine Fri 22-Feb-13 18:28:44

Did u stay off work to raise his/your kids??? if you did then there were no childcare costs at the time he would have/should have paid half the childcare costs if you had continued with your career to the same level.
so often divorcing men blame their xws that bringing children into the world cost them. raising kids is what costs but its easier to blame/grudge the woman

LemonDrizzled Fri 22-Feb-13 14:51:20

If my DP and his Ex had taken legal advice they would have understood that his pension is an asset worth as much or more than the house. They came to an agreement to split the house, he bought her out, and she kept all her savings (unknown) and left him with the credit card debts (!) and the pension. She said that was all she wanted as she had an OM who will provide for her. The divorce cost the minimum.

Now he has me, and I have taken legal advice over my divorce. My solicitor explained that at any time unless she has remarried she can come back and ask for a share of his pension, lottery win, inheritance etc. She is most indignant at the very suggestion, but what if her elderly OM dies, she has no pension and no assets? If she is destitute we will help her because she is the mother of his children. But the FCO protects us from a legal raid on our joint assets.

Branleuse Fri 22-Feb-13 14:41:59

surely that would be a bit of a shit thing to do three years down the line?

delilah88 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:38:23

I'm sure I'm not! Is it normal to reopen the FA? Or very unusual?

LemonDrizzled Fri 22-Feb-13 14:00:47

Yes if you didn't get a financial consent order and you haven't remarried you can reopen the financial arrangement. Try posting on the Legal board for more info.

I hope you are not my DPs ex. I am trying to get him to see he needs to protect himself.

delilah88 Fri 22-Feb-13 13:58:35

Exh and I divorced three years ago, without a legal settlement. I retrospectively realise he must have a huge pension from work -- can I clain half of it when I retire or am I too late? He has remarried. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now