Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do I say to Dp?

(81 Posts)
Onceupon Fri 15-Feb-13 19:07:29

Dp has emailed me a reservation he made for me for a night away, by myself. I really don't want to go. The timing just doesn't suit.

I am actually quite upset as he did this before and I asked him not to. Mainly due to the fact that he works long hours and is busy with sports etc and I am expected to fit my free time in around what suits him. I am a sahm and have very little time to myself.

If we are going to spend this much money I would like to have a say in where I go and when.

The train and hotel are last minute, non refundable.

I feel like I have no control over my own life at all.

If he was trying to something nice he should have paid attention to what we have discussed before.

Maybe I sound ungrateful and didn't explain well but it is because he has gone and done something I clearly asked him not to and now I'll have to go as I can't waste all that money.

very odd.

and i would probably leave the house, go for a coffee somewhere and then turn up back at home after a few hours, unexpectedly.

or

just not go.

i would not put up with this. if it's really for your benefit then he'd be much more concerned that you were going to do something you actually wanted! that would really count!

ScillyCow Sat 16-Feb-13 20:52:37

I know I am going against the grain - but I would LOVE this.

Although, I have repeatedly said to DH that if I had 2 days to myself I would just check into a hotel and sleep - so booking me this would be kind of wish fulfilment. If he hadn't consulted me about when, I would just assume his heart was in the right place / he wanted to surprise me.

tribpot Sat 16-Feb-13 20:58:26

But she already had plans for this weekend. And she'd told him she didn't like this kind of 'surprise'. It feels more like something he was going to do was cancelled at the last minute so he thought 'right, seize the moment, shove the wife off for a night in a hotel' - not necessarily to get up to no good but so he can use it when she's next complaining about the amount of time he spends doing what he wants. "But I paid for you to go away, blah blah blah" - never mind it's money from the joint account that could have been spent on something else. Like a treat the OP actually wanted!

cjel Sat 16-Feb-13 21:57:01

AF the thought of you looking like a dick has made me smile. I may not always agree with you but don't think you'll ever look like a dick. you sound too coherent and lovely for that.

AnyFucker Sun 17-Feb-13 10:26:28

Thanks, cjel smile

Bobyan Mon 18-Feb-13 19:03:30

Any update OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now