Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Valentines day?

(56 Posts)
Londonmummy2012 Wed 06-Feb-13 11:23:42

Hi. What does everyone have planned for valentines day? I have a 7 month old daughter so love has gone straight out the window, so I really should do something.

kikiliki Thu 07-Feb-13 22:29:56

I did try to organise a babysitter, including for either side... no joy sad

Kione Thu 07-Feb-13 22:06:38

SGB!! sorry!

Kione Thu 07-Feb-13 22:06:04

it just to make people spend money on the worst month if the year for shops, after January sales and all that. Sorry but really makes me angry and cringe...
All the best rho SBD

gingemum Thu 07-Feb-13 14:39:28

I think kids like to do something for Valentine's day, we will make cards for Dad and maybe a cake, will probably make choc brownies and use a heart shape cutter. You don't have to spend money... but if you do want to I made a personalised I love.. book for the kids last year which went down well, here's a link to a demo book

JollyRedGiant Thu 07-Feb-13 09:17:36

Nothing. I have told DH not to get me a card as I won't be getting him one. We didn't do anything for our anniversary either.

We'll probably have a nice meal out in March or April for our birthdays smile

ike1 Thu 07-Feb-13 09:16:07

That one billion n rising looks good! Think Ill tak the kids along to the local one. Raise some awareness in DS (8)

Valentine's Day = Singles Awareness Day, the day of the year that those who are single (and would rather not be) are made to feel lesser beings!

fluffyraggies Thu 07-Feb-13 08:19:27

SGB - all the best.

Last VD my DH made a speech about it all being

''a total waste of time and money and not having anything to do with it and i know he loves me and he knows i love him and we both know that we know and we don't need to pay for a bit of card to say it, if i don't know he loves me by now there's something wrong''.

<Breath>

So i didn't buy him a card.

And on the morning of VD he presented me with a big slushy romantic card with the most lovely words written by him and i was shock, blush, smile and hmm all at the same time.

AND - we've not bothered with xmas cards to each other for the last 5 years (since our first xmas together) but last xmas was our first as DH/DW. I thought it would be nice - but got the above speech, so didn't buy him one.

You can see where this is going.

On Christmas morning he gave me a beautiful card with the most beautiful poem, which he'd written himself.

I am buying him a VD card this year.

Locketjuice Thu 07-Feb-13 07:25:23

Have a 1 year old who nanny is babysitting so we are going out... Friday valentines and Saturday for his birthday... smile

CityTiliDie Thu 07-Feb-13 07:18:39

Very little on the 14th but on the following saturday I have arranged (secretly) for DD to go to Granny's house for a few hours, then I will run DW a hot smelly bath, give her a bunch of flowers and some nice undies then take her to all the local charity shops (her fave pastime) then on to lunch at the chip shop... another favourite of hers!

Saveme, thank you so much for making me giggle helplessly with that image.

One of my, well, minor issues with the whole tit-chopping business is that I hate bras and hardly ever wear one... the idea of a Naice Young Man with warm hands whose duty it is to stand behind me and cup the afflicted tit whenever I need to move is quite appealing.

savemefromrickets Wed 06-Feb-13 23:34:20

SGB: for once treat yourself to some new underwear for Valentine's... I learned from bitter experience that cleaning your teeth without a bra on after a bit of a boob op is NOT a great thing to do!!!

Neither was changing gear though to be fair.

What I really needed was a chauffeur who didn't mind holding my boobs whilst I cleaned my teeth, but I'm not sure that would meet with your approval smile

MirandaWest Wed 06-Feb-13 23:06:28

I'm going to have lunch with XH and discuss our forthcoming divorce hmm

Will get Bf a card and think he'll get me one. Have made it clear I do not want any other "valentines" things grin

GiveMeSomeSpace Wed 06-Feb-13 23:03:06

Teahouse I'm pretty sure virtually everyone hates it apart from lovestruck teenagers...........

GiveMeSomeSpace Wed 06-Feb-13 22:58:10

Valentine's day = pile of shite. Luckily DW feels the same, even more so to be fair. She particularly enjoys receiving a big bunch of flowers the following day for a quarter of the price.

I've been in relationships where flowers, a meal out, underwear etc were all simply EXPECTED - where the f@*k is the romance in that?

All the best SGB

Bobbybird40 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:56:18

Buy her a few Stella's, a Chinese take away then give her a good seeing to.

blockednose Wed 06-Feb-13 20:49:08

Hi londonmummy. When my daughter was born in 2010, on valentines day that year she was only 2 weeks old. DH and I stayed in, watched a film and he got me some presents but more really because it was his way of pampering me as a new mummy. We don't really celebrate valentines day but I do like to use it as an excuse to do something romantic in the house.

In 2011 we actually went out, first time we have ever done this to a lovely bar in shoreditch. Very nice and quiet, only three other couples. But one of them had an argument and the lady stormed out!! Her other half was left sitting there like a lemon with the bottle of wine 2 thirds full and she'd left all her presents behind. It was pretty embarrassing for him I still wonder, how did he fuck up?!

Last year, stayed in, candle lit dinner in the kitchen. This year, we are using up a spa voucher that we got as a wedding present. It's a coincidence that it expires on V day!!

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 06-Feb-13 20:35:45

We celebrate with a party for DS. 7 this valentines day.

Teahouse Wed 06-Feb-13 20:34:47

Same as every valentine's day for the past 12 years...nothing as not had anyone to do anything with. Hate the day...am fine single thanks but realy don't need reminding that society funds it unacceptable that no one loves me!

skratta Wed 06-Feb-13 20:33:58

My DP will naturally forget. I will wake him up, kiss him, give him a card, a present, and pretend to believe him when he says he's giving me my present after the DC's have gone to bed in the evening. And not notice how it was hurriedly wrapped, the card was bought from the shop on his way home and cost about 50p, and the present was probably one of the prototypes for his woodwork designs (from his own business) and hurriedly sanded down and filed.

He loves me really grin

TooMuchRain Wed 06-Feb-13 20:32:48

nothing because I don't like it

SummerDad Wed 06-Feb-13 20:19:33

I hate Valentine's day but definitely will plan something.

Hope all goes well SGB.

Me too. I think you have to be a bit older than the STI generation.

No cards here, don't like shop bought and can't be faffed with home made.

Sex?

No. I do it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now