Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dating chat thread still going! Number 39

(1000 Posts)
lubeybooby England Sat 02-Feb-13 12:26:31

Here we are all

Dating related chit chat here

ThatsNice Mon 04-Feb-13 10:31:17

Yes I think I would lubey. He is quite distinctive, looks, likes, way he writes etc. i think maybe I have played down my irritation at him not remembering by rationalizing I am not that distinctive, anything special etc. bad me for letting the negative self talk win!! kicks own ass

lubeybooby England Mon 04-Feb-13 10:40:55

No definitely don't play down the irritation. I would be really offended. Even recently, four years on from first online dating, I still remember some blokes from way back then (who have different profiles)

It wouldn't say to me that you aren't distinctive, it would say he's messaged so many he has no idea anymore.

That could be a player thing, or it could just be he's been trying very hard (too hard maybe) or maybe got a bit carried away with the sweetshop thing and has (maybe) now calmed down.

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 04-Feb-13 10:44:41

agree with lubey.

also agree with lubey. Having gone back on POF I can see profiles that I've seen before and have been there at least 2 years. Even if photos have changed a bit.

Snapespeare Mon 04-Feb-13 10:54:20

in other news, I am like a tightly coiled spring today. very, very clever nameless has left me with the absolute horn after an hour and a half of kissing. i need to clean the oven or something to take my mind off of him things. must distract self. no guarantee he'll remain interested after STD chat.

[cold shower]

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 04-Feb-13 10:58:42

be careful snape, you will be abondaning shopping and coming out with only rum and condoms next.
smile

Snapespeare Mon 04-Feb-13 11:06:19

I must maintain standards! grin shall go and buy over cleaner! grin

I need to read-up on m.e./CFS. I don't want to break him... blush I'm thinking the old PIV might wipe him out a bit anyway, blush so he might actually be the ideal match for my genital-lurgy... [wetfish]

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:06:50

Things are getting ridiculous in my dreams. I dreamed this last night:
Decided that it would be a great idea to get a 3 way mortgage on a totally unsuitable flat with Torso Rubber and Sonia from Eastenders. I was obviously very concerned about this in the dream beause, well, it was TR and Sonia from Eastenders!! Why would I be???? And i had never seen the flat. Plus the moving in date was very close! Lots of boring detail about mortgages! Now what the hell could that all mean?????

mercury7 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:09:47

ridiculousness tends to be a predominant factor in dreams wink

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:15:57

yes....although my confusion, sense of forboding and the silly complexity of it is telling me something too ....lol

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:17:35

Dunno where Sonia from Eastenders came from though.....

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:29:42

I tell you what it means.....I need to get a life and do some research!!!

mercury7 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:35:31

I dream alot about different flats & houses, amalgamations of various places I've lived in.

Re men and aging, since they have thicker skin (more collagen) facial aging out to be less for men than for women (?) but then women are probably much better with the sunblock & the moisturising!

Most men with ages given as 40 + on dating sites appear to have knocked 5-10 years off, thats surely why all the 40+ men look bad for their age?

Deducting 1 or 2 years to keep you in a decade or half decade is one thing, but few people past 45 TRULY look 10 years younger, unless they've had 'work'...dont you think??

I see very few men in good shape physique wise of any age, a youthful body can be maintained with healthy livin' but there aint much you can do about the whole crows feet and jowls problem sad

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 04-Feb-13 11:36:30

smile ike

Feel the same tbh. After a very exciting few days, today feels awfully flat and isnt helping my mood either. I suspect its a come down off endorphines. Damn things.

brain keeps telling me im crap and how there must be something up with me to have been single for so long etc... etc. heart knows otherwise. Im sure tomorrow when im back at work ill feel better.

Did you do anything with the volunteering you mentioned before?

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 04-Feb-13 11:38:48

mercury - that might be why i struggle to find anyone over 35 on od attractive, because they are all way older than that actually.

I had a quick look at the under 30's and its much better. I might close and then re open a new profile at some point.

Walkacrossthesand Mon 04-Feb-13 11:40:30

48, my caustic 'ha!' a few pages back was aimed at my recent ex, whose desire for children at age 46 is, I fear, a fantasy in the context of him having only had 2x 3year relationships, both of which ended because of his inability to commit. Unlike your Mr R&R. Apologies for any offence caused.
watch - what a snide remark from your work colleague!
Others - I get a little bit of satisfaction from seeing active profiles of guys my age that caught my eye a couple of years ago, I emailed them and they didn't reply - have resisted temptation to message them again pointing out that they might not still be looking if they bothered to reply to messages smile...

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 04-Feb-13 11:43:30

others, yeah, i know.
Also, re profiles, there are plenty still active from when i first started, there are a few ive had good dates with. Gallingly, there is one i really fancied, who i had 3 dates with, he made all the moves, i did not sleep with him, but eventually kissed him, and he dumped me there and then. nice. Still online, same profile, 3 years on.

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:46:39

Yeah I already volunteer for a welfare charity....keeps my benefits knowledge up to date for the degree and I have an informal interview for the Art centre stuff tonight. Who knows what it all means!! Too much navel gazing!

It's occurred to me that many of the OD men over 50 are really mostly over 60. Nothing else could really explain the apparent dramatic decline. There are attractive men in their 50's, they just don't seem to be OD because they are at least 10 or 15 years older. That would explain why there are comparatively a lot of attractive men under 45.

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:48:28

I think I would feel a whole lot better if I structured myself properly...given half a chance I m a lazy git!

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:51:06

Its true re men and age TR is on OKC age 33 ...he is nearly 44 ffs....I do laugh at him for it...apparently he had a date with a 21 year old...she was keen he wasnt...yeah a likely story!!

Voice I do remember during a carnival party years ago almost every single woman in the place had the hots for a man strutting about dressed as a nazi officer hmm. I still have no idea what was going on there.

I also think getting involved in a production where your exW is would be horrible. You wouldn't be able to relax plus there is a possibility of her acting up (literally).

Walkacrossthesand Mon 04-Feb-13 11:54:27

Exactement, Juliette - the '55 year old ' men are over 60, and the truly 50-55's seem largely to be looking for under-50's so I guess profiles like mine just don't show up on their searches. There's an interesting article on OKC about this - with graphs an all. http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-case-for-an-older-woman/

ike1 Mon 04-Feb-13 11:56:42

Juliette nooooo a nazi officer...whaaaaaat??? See I would be thinking 'who is that repugnant cock!?'

mercury7 Mon 04-Feb-13 12:01:02

'age 33 ...he is nearly 44 ffs'
that is CRAZY shock Ike
then again, I can see how it might happen...say he's 41 and he knocks a couple of, because 39 sounds so much better!
With each passing birthday he shaves off a bigger and bigger slice until he truly believes he could pass for 33 when he's 44

As for the 'poor child' comment directed at Watch upthread, did the woman think she was in a Dickens novel and Watch had sent her offspring up chimneys grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.