Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

in laws

(6 Posts)
chelly0170 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:32:29

My husbands family keep blaming me for any and everything. Im so easily upset and accused me of sending anonymous fb messages. Now I will make comments on fb because I'm sick if being slagged off and being given dirty looks when I'm out shopping. But my partner doesn't believe me and he takes there side. This causes us to argue and our three toddlers r around.i feel its best I leave as I'll be much happier and it's what his family want. Help before I go into more depression.

Hissy Thu 24-Jan-13 20:37:16

Delete them from your FB, block them and stop engaging.

Don't cover up for them.

YellowTulips Thu 24-Jan-13 20:40:27

What Hissy says.

Stop lowering yourself to their level.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 25-Jan-13 07:38:56

Detach yourself from your DH's family if you're being bullied and insulted by them. Don't give them the satisfaction of a response because that tends to feed the fire. Detach, disengage and ignore. Don't invite them into your home and don't visit theirs. Don't ask them for anything, don't tell them anything, don't post stuff on FB, don't be reliant on his family and be scrupulously polite if you absolutely have to meet up at any stage.

Then make a different life for yourself that is far more independent. Have your own social circle and activities that you can enjoy with friends who make you feel good about yourself. Don't know if 'three toddlers' means you are in paid employment but financial independence is really important if your DH is treating you badly. Also get some professional advice (CAB, Solicitors etc) about the implications of leaving and divorce.... you may be pleasantly surprised and it may give you strength even if you don't carry it out.

controlaltdelete Fri 25-Jan-13 08:01:11

Cogito is dead right. I have a SIL whom you would never know if she hated your guts or really liked you because she is extremely polite, friendly and polished. On the other hand she rarely makes an effort to invite us over or come see us, but when we all turn up to hers she is all of the above. Perhaps she doesn't like us, I think it's more we are not her cup of tea since she is really posh and we are not. The thing is, I could never pull her up on anything (nor want to really as the relationship suits us both) because she is so nice and I actually think she's kind of cool.

Never have your in-laws on FB. If you have to, make sure they only get to see selective postings.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Fri 25-Jan-13 08:05:26

Your partner doesn't believe you!? He actually thinks that you send anonymous facebook messages!? What do these messages say?

If he doesn't believe you or trust you i can't see how the relationship would have any future. sad And then i suppose the inlaws get what they want angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now