Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

just separated! has he got any claim on my house?

(10 Posts)
wheelerdealer7 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:02:09

I was with my partner for 5 yrs, never married, he moved into my home, the deeds are in my name so is the mortgage and all the bills, we split all the payments of mortgage and bills and he would give me cash every week but he did miss lots of payments, I have always been the better wage earner as well, there was never any records kept of what he paid me, we have a 3 yr old daughter, we have split up before and he demanded half of his mortgage payments back to which I agreed to just get rid! we did make up an agreement which was witnessed by a neighbour that I would pay him a certain amount, anyway we did get back together! then we split up again and I gave him £1,500 to get himself set up, then stupidly got back together again!! now this time we have split for good, he has taken all his things, its not very amicable especially as I have just applied for child maintenance which he is not impressed by! he is now threatening to take me to court because of his "financial interest" in my house, should I be worried???

Probably not, but I would advise you to talk to a solicitor just to be sure. I think lots of them will give you a free half-hour consultation. You might have to pay him a bit of something but he won't (for instance) get half the house or half the value of it.

VBisme Thu 24-Jan-13 20:13:03

I doubt you'll have an issue, but best to speak with a solicitor face to face.

wheelerdealer7 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:16:02

I think it might be all talk at the mo bcos he couldn't afford a solicitor, but yes your right I think I should get some legal advice just to be on the safe side, I just love it when your together and they are fathers of the year but as soon as the poo hits the fan it all comes down to money!!

Tuliprosa Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:35

I was in a situation very similar to yours in that I was with my partner for 5 years, he moved into my home and supposedly split the mortgage and bill payments equally with me each month. In reality he was in and out of work (not due to the economy, but through getting fired twice for gross misconduct!) rarely paid half, some months didn't pay anything at all and never set up a direct debit, which totally exasperated me as I didn't know where I was coming or going each month.

In the end when we did eventually split up (definitely NOT on amicable terms) as far as I was concerned he had absolutely no claim on my house - we weren't married so I treated his payments as rent, just as I had done with my lodger prior to meeting him. Fact is he couldn't even have rented a bedsit for the amount he paid to live in my lovely house. I think out of spite he would have tried to take me to court too if he could, but his brother, who is a solicitor, said he didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Good luck, OP.

kittybiscuits Thu 24-Jan-13 20:37:10

You know the most out of date tin in the back of your kitchen cupboard? Well he's not even entitled to half of that. He's already had much more than he is entitled to. Sorry you're having to deal with such a knob OP x

kittybiscuits Thu 24-Jan-13 20:43:18

And by the way, I say he's bricking it about what he might have to pay you, and is trying to make you feel worried so that you don't contact the CSA. Contact the CSA smile

izzyizin Thu 24-Jan-13 21:45:06

In the absence of any legally binding signed and sealed document to the contrary, it is as kitty has said and you can confidently tell him to go whistle.

Where could he have lived for free? When forking out the equivalent of half of your monthly mortgage repayments on occasion, he was effectively paying, as opposed to buying, for the roof over his head.

You were a mug to give him £1500. This time round rest secure in the knowledge that you don't, and won't, have to give him 15p smile

Put your claim in to the CSA asap.

Btw in the unlikely event he instructs a solicitor do please come back and we'll see him off.

Skyebluesapphire Fri 25-Jan-13 00:50:28

When my XH first moved into my house he paid half of everything except the mortgage as I didnt want him to have a claim on anything.

Like you say, he's only really paid rent hasn't he...

OneMoreChap Fri 25-Jan-13 15:03:02

He gets?

Nada.

Stick him with the maintenance which he needs to pay and FFS never take him back again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now