Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Kicking The Wine Witch Into Touch!

(1000 Posts)
Mouseface Wed 23-Jan-13 17:50:25

Hello, I'm Mouse smile

Welcome to the Bus. We're a group of posters who have been on a journey to here, there and everywhere when it comes to alcohol and the abusing of it.

Some of us drink, some of us don't at all and some of us are trying to get there, really trying to just stop the cycle, break the habit and calm everything down. Some of us are desperate to not be 'that' person anymore.

One Day At A Time or ODAAT.

So what have you got to lose? Weight? Saggy, puffy eyes each morning? False friends? The risk of cancers and other fatal illnesses......... why not join us?

We have a resident MonsterCat, Wolf called Seth and Squid called Barry (best not to ask about Barry! grin)

And, if you want to see where we've been so far, the links below will show you. The first ever thread is the best by far, because the OP is just like you. And me.

FIRST EVER THREAD

PREVIOUS THREAD

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 21:12:41

Sleep well, Ma. DB seems like he has the new 'shoots' of hope? Hoping for a better day for both of us tomorrow. xxxxx

Mouse, don't feel a failure, don't beat yourself up. You are an amazing brave babe who gives so much. Take time for you & for those who are the most important to you (( ))
MA, Thurso, Purple hope you all managed last nite & got some sleep.
I've been taking zopiclone for the last week which helped immensely the first nite & has never really given me such a good sleep since. Didn't have it last night & felt like an insomniac, couldn't sleep past midnight! I work as a psychiatric nurse looking after children with challenging behaviour, I have a toddler who is extremely challenging & a teenage daughter who is being picked on. I feel close to cracking up. I don't drink every night & feel awful & not sleeping. Sometimes think maybe I should have a couple of glasses every night to see if that would help?
For all with their boing...Amazing, I'm jealous...going off to look for mine! X

thurso13 Tue 12-Feb-13 07:27:35

Morning

Dear Mouse, I must have cross posted last night and then went to bed, I'm sending you love, my sweethheart, and hope (a million hopes) that you slept last night.

Have good days all.
xx

greeneyed Tue 12-Feb-13 08:42:24

mouse take a holiday from the bus babe uou deserve it and we can look after ourselves. Sorry you are all poorly again!

purple andbaby glad to see you posting again. Don't leave us, pop in the sidecar if you are drinking and tell us how you are feeling, i'm in there at the moment but will budge up and get the flask of coffee out.

ma i'm surprised how little the doc has done, services are shit reAlly aren't they - i expected they would book him into hospital or a treatmenf centre but no, heres some numbers and off you go. Has she asked him tp come back in this week? Thinking of you honey, hope he makes the calls and can start on a programme xx

Thank you babes for your comments about my ADHD and meds, yes it id me not my Ds(time will tell if he gas inherited) i am feeling a little more settled now but upping meds in a couple of days and seeing psyche next week. Love and strength to you all x

guggenheim Tue 12-Feb-13 09:05:21

Morning lovely babes

mouse you need to take it very easy for as long as possible, flu is horrible.I have a feeling that you don't get much rest so it's probably pointless to say stay in bed- but please try! I think you did really well with nemo's tube, you gave it a go even though it was hard. Next time he may be able to go a little longer.

clutter Wow what an amazing job! I've seen a fair bit of challenging behaviour in my years working with children, (not always the children who exhibit the behaviour though). The thing about a job like that is that it eats up every tiny little piece of energy you have left and for me that is always a trigger to drink. Might not be for you though, obvs. Wow, you are carrying a lot on your shoulders really. Hope you get lots of sleep and rest smile

green I was the nosey sod asking about the ADHD, sorry! Glad you are feeling more settled now. x

ma hope your br calls those numbers.

Lemonylemon Tue 12-Feb-13 09:26:38

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you all. Do we need a bigger blanket?

mouse don't you spare a thought for us, lovey. You just get you, DH and Nemo back on course. We'll entertain ourselves and send you lots of love and get well vibes.

baby glad you kept on posting. Keep the faith. xx

gugg February not only offers pancakes, it also offers (the excuse of) chocolates! smile

clutter, obrigada I think I might join you on the lent thing....

purple it's disheartening when you have so much on your plate. Would it help with the pressure to list everything? The rest of the babes may have some solutions for you which might help. A trouble shared and all that....

I haven't name checked everyone, but hoping that you're all OK.

I didn't have a glass of wine last night, just Sainsbury's orange & mango squash with "busy" (as my DD calls it) water. Didn't feel the need for a glass and got on with some knitting....

So, I'm on Day 2 now. I WILL NOT BE DRINKING TONIGHT....

Aw Guggs, know what you mean. Most of our work is working intensively with parents to try to install just a small bit of change in their parenting strategies but sometimes you are trying to change years and generations of thoughts and values and can be so exhausting. I am trying to look for a new job but that's also stressful...I'm stressed in work but stressed looking so not sure what to do! I crave wine daily but at the moment the thought of the next day dealing with my toddler is enough to stop me, I think I need a hobby that's just for me but that doesn't cost a lot.
Thinking of all babes, we all sound like we've got a lot on our plates
(( x ))

jesuswhatnext Tue 12-Feb-13 10:18:31

morning! smile sorry not to NC all, i always want to but that would mean me wittering on for hours! blush

mouse love you!! (((((hug))))

clutter, you do sound at the end of your rope, the only advice really i would give is to do what you said, get yourself a hobby, what do you like doing? i dont have a very 'arty flair' but i do find that doing something peaceful and creative for a short while helps my brain to stop whizzing and racing - i very much like sewing and embroidery, (i know that sounds a bit grannyfied blush) but it dosent cost much, it takes up very little room in a busy house and its just calming, you cant rush it, it helps me breathe slowly iyswim? grin

today i am 'pottering' smile got seeds to sow, a process i love, watching seeds germinate and grow and flower is incredibly satisfying!

Thanks JWN, due to constant cycles of nights out, nights in, drinking, hangovers I never really do anything for me. But this bus is slowly helping me to see what an unhealthy life I have been living. I'm so fed up. I have a huge garden but do nothing with it as fed up/hungover/skint/fed up!! But I have so so had enough. I want to enjoy life, be in it, remember things, not be embarrassed. I managed dry January bar 1 night. I'm going to give giving up alcohol for lent a go. I feel If I keep giving myself targets then slowly I can change years of habit. So want to find my boing, it's hiding well today shock

guggenheim Tue 12-Feb-13 11:21:02

Hi
clutter could you take a few days off? Any chance of a weekend away? Just a change of scene can help a bit. Well done for facing up to the drinking though, that honesty is the only way to tackle it.

JWN ooh what are you sowing? I love my garden but it's not looking great, probably because lots of my gardening centered on wandering around looking at plants with a glass of wine in hand. You don't see that on gardener's world! So I hope that this year will be different.

Ahem lemony I think you will find that chocolate works all year round. And round is what I will be if I eat any more of it.. Oh well.

jesuswhatnext Tue 12-Feb-13 11:23:59

clutter, i used to look at my garden and wonder why it didnt look as nice as say, nextdoors, or the lady up the road, turns out, it didnt look very good because all i ever did was wander round it, glass in hand! sad i totally bought that, 'oh, i can see us sitting out here with a glass of wine' thing that people in property programmes witter on about hmm turns out that you actually have to put some effort in to achieve that 'effortless' country garden look! grin off to pot up my sweetpeas! grin

jesuswhatnext Tue 12-Feb-13 11:24:27

x-posted gugg!! grin

obrigada Tue 12-Feb-13 11:27:36

I would love a beautiful garden but instead I have an overgrown nightmare (front and back of house) <<embarrassed emoticon>> Wouldn't even know where to start putting a shape on it!

guggenheim Tue 12-Feb-13 11:38:48

jwn grin To be fair the glossy magazine types probably stopped at just the one glass, i don't! Yeah, this year I shall be a gardening goddess hmm I've never had any success with sweet peas. The little sods just refuse to grow for me, they sprout beautifully and then have a big strop. I shall buy some potatoes and start chitting them though, tatties are easy to grow.

obridga Any chance of affording some hot gardener to 'come round and sort it out for you' sorry but there is no way to type that sentence without it being smutty! If I ever have enough money I will employ gardeners (and cleaners and cooks and personal trainers and etc)

obrigada Tue 12-Feb-13 12:16:29

Gugg, couldn't afford gardener (hot or notsmile), will need to tackle it myself unfortunately!

jesuswhatnext Tue 12-Feb-13 12:35:38

obrigada - the best place to start is with a huge rubbish bag (or bonfire if thats allowed near you) and a pair of loppers - cut back just about everything so that you can 'see the wood for the trees' (see what i did there? grin) mow grass about mid march and just keep mowing all year, see what grows in the garden already, keep what you like, get rid of things you dont - for fairly low maintenance stay with shrubs, plant lavender/rosemary/roses etc - look for shrubs in the garden centre you like the look of, get advice regarding their growth and size and plant accordingly for your size of garden - add a deck chair and bobs your uncle! grin

i have just sown dianthus, brachycome, cleome, laurentia and antirrhinum, i started my sweetpeas in sept although i will sow some more soon so that (hopefully) i will get continual growth all summer, i also have some oriental poppys, dahlias and geraniums coming along - i like a really old fashioned look with foxgloves and hollyhocks and herbs etc, i also put my tomato plants amoung the borders and train runner beans up a tall rustic bench, my shed is covered with clematis and a rambling old fashioned rose - -sorry!! blush just rambled a bit myself there, still, it took my ages to type all that so im not deleting, im posting! grin

So far this year we have had dry January, boot camp, the 5:2, almost going to start "dry lent" and from this chat I say we have the brave babes gardners corner grin
No option of time off at the moment Guggs as used up all my annual leave & been off due to sickness (hangover) mil on hols & yesterday my childminder off sick. Feel as my line manager is my reference on job apps better not push it any more!
Like the idea of going away JWN, me & Dh are a day out on birthdays in march & am going to suggest we try to get a cheap groupon away instead of the usual boozy nite out.
I love the thought of the lovely garden but all the lovely things that were here when we bought the house have since shrivelled up & died! May have to invest in a gardening magazine...is now the time you plant things? smile

Wow JWN, your garden sounds amazing...how did you learn to do all this? smile

jesuswhatnext Tue 12-Feb-13 12:42:18

yes, you can plants loads of things right now, just be careful that you make sure roots are well covered so that frost cant get to them, also, be careful not to 'compact' the earth as you walk on if it is very wet - i am going to plant this weekend (if the weather allows) a plum tree and some bare root roses - you can start some flowers, like the ones mentioned above now if you have a sunny window sill or conservertory - if all else fails, go to a good independent garden centre/nursery and ask for help and advice!

SobaSoma Tue 12-Feb-13 12:46:44

Hello everyone, I've missed you all x Ma there's nothing wrong with you, I'm still doing it too, back to my routine of night on, night off, feeling depressed and fed up and wondering why I'm so fecking irresponsible. But there's always hope isn't there? I'm so sorry about your brother, mine came to stay with me yesterday after a severe depressive episode a few weeks ago. He seems stable on his meds now and is getting proper help (he kicked booze two years ago).

Clutter, Purple, how I relate, I really do. We find it so hard to get on top of this but the positive thing is that we don't stop trying to. It would be unthinkable to just throw in the towel and find myself saying one day "I've given up struggling and I'm just going to drink and drink". Because that would eventually be the end of me. Sorry not to namecheck everyone (*Mouse*, Mia, Joey, Baby and all the others) but hope you're all looking forward to spring as much as I am. I'm a fairweather gardener and haven't been out in months and want my little patch of loveliness to bring joy to my heart when the days are warmer.

jesuswhatnext Tue 12-Feb-13 12:49:02

im still learning!! grin seriously, i have picked up a huge amount along the way from my dm - she has a fantastic garden, in fact she is a fantatical gardener and a great source of information!

guggenheim Tue 12-Feb-13 13:07:53

Wow! jwn that sounds brilliant. I'd sort of forgotten that Feb is the start of the gardening year. Might have a look at the gardening threads on mn. Ooooh excited now! I love cottage gardens so beautiful and romantic.

eminemmerdale Tue 12-Feb-13 18:15:02

Hello everyone. I've spent today on the minimalist thread sobbing about the state of my house sad I have a plan to bring it back into shape and chuck 90% of stuff away grin To do this I need to be sober! Am having a small g and t tonight and starting DryLent tomorrow. I did 31 days so 40 should be achievable, then..we'll see. babyjane read what you said abnout knowing how much better you feel and then blowing it - that's me too! ma catching up about richard and thinking of you. Everyone - it's a bloody high hill isn;t it? So simple in theory and yet so blimming difficult in reality. It's a sentence - two words 'don't drink' what could be easier hmm I hope to back on the bus for a longer journey tomorrow x

PurpleWolfe Tue 12-Feb-13 18:25:02

Completely off subject: Just read on FB that one of my friends took her children's hamster to the vets because she thought it had a hernia or something. The vet explained that those were the hamsters testicles!! I haven't laughed so much in ages!!

Feeling a bit better today, thanks to all for your lovely support. Lists on the 'list' for tomorrow. Onward and upward. xxxxx

grin at hamsters hernia! Glad your feeling better Purple, think everyone needs some nice, bright sunshine! Today was just too cold shock Emin like your thinking, all day today I've been thinking my house is just in such a clutter confused but seriously lacking motivation to do anything, hoping if I manage dry lent then will find my motivation, definitely won't find it drink, hungover or depressed because of that cycle.
I'm going to have a bath, watch some Alias in bed & pray for better nights sleep than last night. Thinking of you all brave babes & wishing you all love & strength xxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.