Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Kicking The Wine Witch Into Touch!

(1000 Posts)
Mouseface Wed 23-Jan-13 17:50:25

Hello, I'm Mouse smile

Welcome to the Bus. We're a group of posters who have been on a journey to here, there and everywhere when it comes to alcohol and the abusing of it.

Some of us drink, some of us don't at all and some of us are trying to get there, really trying to just stop the cycle, break the habit and calm everything down. Some of us are desperate to not be 'that' person anymore.

One Day At A Time or ODAAT.

So what have you got to lose? Weight? Saggy, puffy eyes each morning? False friends? The risk of cancers and other fatal illnesses......... why not join us?

We have a resident MonsterCat, Wolf called Seth and Squid called Barry (best not to ask about Barry! grin)

And, if you want to see where we've been so far, the links below will show you. The first ever thread is the best by far, because the OP is just like you. And me.

FIRST EVER THREAD

PREVIOUS THREAD

babyjane1 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:04:31

Thanks you all for your kind words, I've missed the warmth this bus provides, I'm relieved to be back on the bus and all you lovely babes struggling with me, lets all try again TOGETHER x x x

Red!! Hello and a big hug

determinedma Mon 11-Feb-13 15:20:13

purple i feel exactly the same!
don't drink and :
save money
lose weight
look better
feel better
or
drink:
waste money
put on weight
feel shit

No brainer, you would think........

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 16:06:00

Thanks Ma. You would think, wouldn't you? We are otherwise bright women. Right now I have so much on my plate that I just want to find a large hole and hide in it. It would be so nice for someone else to take some of the responsibilities I have - it all seems too much to cope with. Even the bloody dog has gone and got fleas - just one more thing to pay for sort out. Running away seems like such an easy option just now - just not realistic. sad

aliasjoey Mon 11-Feb-13 16:51:41

purple I guess alcoholism does not care how sensible or intelligent you are, it's like a disease - cancer doesn't choose people according to IQ, and neither does alcohol.

After a weekend drinking and relaxing I got home last night and immediately started worrying about stuff. I can totally see the attraction, it is like having a warm cosy hole to hide in...

Has anyone heard from mouse lately?

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 16:58:40

Yup Joey, a warm, cosy hole - except the 'normal' side of our brain knows that that is not true and we all know that dealing with stress is so much easier when we have a clear head....but the call of the 'blurred edges' is strong and enticing.... sad sad sad

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 17:07:15

I'm scared to think where I would be without the responsibility of my children right now.

guggenheim Mon 11-Feb-13 17:30:21

Hey there lovely babes,

As lemony said we are all in this together, keep posting and keep reading smile

No more talk of feeling useless or worthless please- no more please, I don't want to hear that from the babes. Alcohol has no respect for any of us in any way. Nothing to do with intelligence, looks, wealth, ability to get on with an essay without touring mn for hours first...

February SUCKS. It has nothing to recommend it (maybe pancakes).

Aw sorry so many babes are feeling rubbish. I agree gugg that February ain't got nowt to offer apart from pancakes...looking forward to lots of them tomorrow! I hate jan & feb, skint, fed up, biting cold wind...but almost halfway thru!
Purple, baby J & all who are feeling low, hang in in there, we can all get through this.
My childminder was off sick today so had to take today off, can't believe that I was pretty good at the weekend & still didn't make it into work today hmm
Obrigada think I am going to give up alcohol for lent with you, I liked having the push of dry January & going to try & go for it.
My life is so much better without alcohol yet I am so drawn to that first glass of wine.
Mouse, hope your ok brave babe, things sounded pretty tough over the weekend, thinking of you & your family.
MA so sorry about your brother, how awful this situation must be for all, I watched the devastation my Granda's alcoholism had on our family & it's so sad, hugs & hope you find strength to keep going ((( )))
For those with their boing & doing well at beating the WW, amazing grin keep on keeping on xx

babyjane1 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:00:55

Hi babes, had a lovely fun day swimming with the kids, there is do much more to life than wine, just hanging on to that thought. I'm do relieved I had the guts to post earlier, it feels much much less daunting having all you lovely babes to comfort and encourage me. I'm really determined to break this bloody habit, it's taken up far too much time, energy, money and down time aka hangovers. I feel exhausted and weary, I know I haven't slept properly in weeks and as I only drink between 7pm and 10pm, 3 hours is not worth the 21 hours it makes me feel shite. I'm ready for a change, nothing in life can be harder to deal with than my own shame and disappointment in myself. Anyone else feeling as I do please sit beside me, share my blanket and let's stay close, it feels good to know that somewhere out there in RL there are you guys and through this thread you don't feel far away but right here with me xxxx

theartofloving Mon 11-Feb-13 19:42:23

Evening to all. baby I can relate to what you've just written. Glad you had a fun day smile

Still struggling with the hangover today (2 days), I went out for a walk this morning, round to an empty house that I look after, found a bottle of babycham that I had left on the mantlepiece and very nearly opened it and drank it in case it made me feel better. Looked at the clock and saw it was 11am and put the babycham down and left. A little victory.

Can somebody tell me what HALT stands for please? I saw it somewhere on here but can't remember what it stands for. Hungry...ALT?

thurso13 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:47:54

Hi all,

baby please may I share your blanket tonight?

My day off today, I went to legs, bums and tums, is it always that hard? Felt sick afterwards!

I had a tutoring appointment tonight, and bloody hell goodness me, how difficult can it be to differentiate homework for 20 children?!!! My school, as well!!!!
I am well up on my high horse this evening,and very sad, beacuse I can remember going into a maths class, and nothing made sense because I was so scared I wouldn't understand, even going across the threshold made my mind a blank,
One would have thought things have changed so much.........

Very sorry for the rant.
Going for a bath, tea, and bed, I think.
Lots of love
T xxxxx

determinedma Mon 11-Feb-13 19:48:38

HALT is Hungry,Angry,Lonely and Tired/Thirsty.
My letter is B for bored

thurso13 Mon 11-Feb-13 20:01:02

Ma, I am bored of myself, and also hungry and lonely, what say we go for a bath (not together!!), have some tea, and go to bed?

Fairenuff Mon 11-Feb-13 20:05:22

Ma I never, ever, ever, ever get bored.

But I do sometimes think, is this it? The daily grind? Sure I can amuse myself but what the hell is it all for?

< muses >

theartofloving Mon 11-Feb-13 20:12:56

thank you ma yep B is a hard one.

determinedma Mon 11-Feb-13 20:24:57

Hey thurso am stuffed with a cold so will be in bed soon. Am drinking white wine which I can't even taste!
WTF?

thurso13 Mon 11-Feb-13 20:39:41

Ma me too! Hopefully not too much for either of us, I still shrink from thinking how my legs will feel tomorrow!

I just want to relax and go to to sleep! Many a fine word said!!!
xx

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 20:40:36

Ma am (still) drinking white wine - that I don't even like the taste of! Wtf!?

determinedma Mon 11-Feb-13 20:49:41

Oh purple I don't know. Even after the weekend I've had , even watching my brother slowly killing himself, even though I feel crap, I'm STILL doing it.I had two completely dry weeks in January but haven't had a dry night for over a week.
What is WRONG with me?

Mouseface Mon 11-Feb-13 20:57:18

Evening, tis me, Mouse

Joey - and others, I'm okay. Not in a great place right now. I'll be back, just not for a day or two. I need to look after DH, and Nemo and me. I'm ill, really ill with a flu like thing. DH has a horrid cough, DD is super, had a fab weekend with friends and family, thank Jeff for them, thank Jeff she is a grown up, strong, gorgeous girl!

I just can't give you all any of me right now.

So much going on with Nemo, cranial lady weds, docs me tomorrow, stuff. Shit.

Sorry to let you all down so much, what a bloody waste I am. Sorry.

Not drinking though, just struggling with my pain. Real, grinding, gnawing, I can't move for hours, stabbing, hot pain.

I need to get a good night under my belt, so my plan is to try tonight and be back tomorrow or weds.

Welcome to the new Babes, I'm not always like this smile

Lots of love to you all.

Oh, and Nemo has his tube back in.... he got very hungry and dehydrated. Not a failure, as such, just maybe not the right time?

We'll get there, we're good at getting there.

Be safe Babes. Love to you all. xx

<goes off to load up on cold 'n' flu drugs and prays for a night of no racking cough for my poor little boy and DH, please someone, take it away>

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 20:58:56

Huge hugs Ma I had 7 weeks dry before Christmas and three dry this year so far. I felt so much better, slept better, skin looked better etc (didn't quite get the energy back that I had hoped for tho') but still I turn to this poisonous shit! I have my Mother as my 'Bad Example' so I understand what you mean about your brother. So sorry about his/your pain. Have you heard anything today? xxxx

thurso13 Mon 11-Feb-13 20:59:09

Ma I really am going to bed now, but, I can completely understand why you would drink tonight, it's really hard to not go to that "fall back" place.
Crikey knows, I've done it!
Tea, bath and bed, my sweetheart>
NOTHING wrong with you xxxxxxxx

PurpleWolfe Mon 11-Feb-13 21:01:14

Mouse Take care my Lovely - you know how I feel about you giving so much of yourself to us on here. There is only so much Mouse to go round. You take care of you and yours and don't worry about us, we'll muddle through. xxxxx

determinedma Mon 11-Feb-13 21:05:14

mouse you don't have to give us anything of you. Just get better, OK
purple bro had a doctors appointment today and got some details of people to contact for help. He is OK, still very shaky and on trancs. We shall see.
thurso am going to make tea and go to bed.

This thread is not accepting new messages.