Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I crazy or is internet dating making me??

(33 Posts)
GemsAngels Sat 19-Jan-13 22:09:41

Oh jeeeze!! Im emotionally exhausted. What do these guys want? I have no clue anymore, I feel Im going crazy questioning what Im doing wrong sad

HollaAtMeBaby Sun 20-Jan-13 15:13:12

I have tried internet dating several times and always end up feeling the same way, Gems. I know loads of happy couples who have met that way but it doesn't seem to work for me. I find the whole process really draining/time-consuming and I'd rather spend that time and energy on friends, family, work, travel, exercise... stuff where you actually get out what you put in!

GemsAngels Sun 20-Jan-13 15:16:25

Yeah same here Holla smile

My story with Internet dating was very similar and so I gave up and got out of the house into a bar ! I was a single mum, all my friends had no children so it was difficult for me as I thought no one would be interested. Even though I am educated, gorgeous and amazing obviously !!! I attracted older divorced men and I just didn't want that.

I met my Dp in a bar, after a bit of dating I realised I'd seen him on match but had ruled him out because he wanted someone with no children and to be honest I didn't like his photos, the profile is so different from reality !

I asked him about this and we both realised on match you are so prescriptive about what you want it can rule out people who in real life you would like. In internet dating the normal meeting and chemistry assessing which goes on.

I would use it to go on a date if you fancied a night out but don't get sucked in and try dating guys that aren't your type ? If they don't want to go on a date pretty quick I would say they're just enjoying the attention and need to get a life !

GemsAngels Sun 20-Jan-13 16:27:11

Wow what a small world, fancy that smile
I would definitely rather meet someone out and about but men in the pub usually just chat you up and in my experience even take my number but never call. All my friends are settled and weekends go by where Im stuck in when the girls are with their dad for the weekend as there is noone to go out with, its quite depressing.
What do single 35 year old women do to get out and about? smile

landscaperguy Sun 20-Jan-13 17:26:46

@ GemsAngels and Prettywhiteguitar I understand exactly how you both feel but can you imagine how harder it is to meet a life partner if you happen to be gay? I have met loads of tossers, weirdos, separated men and liars and it leaves you demoralised and completely depressed. Was even on anti-depressants because the whole experiences left me feel worthless and unwanted.

I am NEVER doing net dating again as its not worth the heartache and whilst it may work for some people i think they are in the minority. Your not alone though.

You both sound nice genuine people and hope you find that special person.

GemsAngels Mon 21-Jan-13 09:46:21

Im sorry to hear of your experience too sad its so sad how people can mess with other peoples emotions. Hope things are going well for you now and Im sure your Mr Right is around the corner too, keep smiling these guys arnt worth it, you are definitely not worthless and one day you will meet someone that makes you feel so wanted. Lets not give up hope, we know we are genuine people so there are plenty more out there, Im sure smile

landscaperguy Mon 21-Jan-13 13:07:29

Thanks GemsAngels :-)

landscaperguy Thu 24-Jan-13 15:30:17

Ive given up online dating. Its not worth the heartache and false sense of hope. I may as well just accept im never going to meet someone and be on my own. Its true all the nice guys finish last :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now