Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is this a normal way to speak for some men/ people ?

(112 Posts)
Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:27:18

Ds asked for a drink from dh tonight he is 10 . He does get his own drinks too. Dh said " get your own you little git " (shock) he was " joking" and meant he could get his own, apparently
WTF .

This is a professional man , why would he use a word like that to a child? It has really shocked me.

However I am quite genteel so AIBU ? (but to you nice reasonable relationships peeps)

AnyFucker Germany Thu 17-Jan-13 23:30:43

Your ds is 10 and he has used this rather uncouth terminology for the first time ?

tribpot Thu 17-Jan-13 23:31:54

The DH referred to his child as a little git.

I don't think that is normal.

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:32:54

Oh ok, in my mind its almost tantamount to child abuse but I am very as I say gentle worded

chocoluvva Thu 17-Jan-13 23:33:40

Hmmm. Well, it's not nice obviously, but I think my feelings about it would depend on his tone of voice.

Pan Thu 17-Jan-13 23:33:41

No it isn't 'normal' for civilised people. It IS probably normal though for people who were spoken to like that when they were children - just carrying on his parents shite role-modelling. Perhaps.

It isn't a joke and, for me, talking to children like that would be a real 'deal-breaker'.

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:33:55

It just doesn't seem normal to me either.

CuriousMama Thu 17-Jan-13 23:35:17

Not normal I'd never say it nor would dp. And is this the first time in all these years? Or isn't he dp's child?

CuriousMama Thu 17-Jan-13 23:35:46

sorry your dh.

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:37:36

Well he wouldn't say it at work to his colleagues would he ? Bizarre.
He meant it to mean he was lazy but may have meant to say lazy get But it came out wrong ?

Hmm. I don't like it, but how much I'd make of it would entirely depend on context/tone of voice/what else is going on.
If it was ment as in 'you can get a drink yourself, you little monkey', I'd let it slide.
If it was said with malice or aggression, warning bells are going.

As to 'is it normal' - not to everybody, but sadly to some.
How is your DH with words normally?

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:40:03

Is dh child
He called him a little fool a couple of months ago in an argument over passing over the tv remote.

AnyFucker Germany Thu 17-Jan-13 23:41:25

Are you going to answer the question about whether this is the first time he has done this ?

Unless he has developed sudden vocal tic for some reason, you don't suddenly start referring to your dc's as "gits"

AnyFucker Germany Thu 17-Jan-13 23:42:10

ah

"git" today

"fool" a couple of months ago

that's it ?

Pan Thu 17-Jan-13 23:42:38

still. Evidence of his upbringing and stuff like this being acceptable. World has moved on and all that jazz.

Pan Thu 17-Jan-13 23:43:32

What profession is he in? <evil speculation..>

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:44:00

It may have been meant like that Pacific but it came out more serious than intended I don't really know.
I corrected him and he said "little get " instead (hmm)
I said it was not a nice way to speak to a child and he said " shut up " to me and " go to bed then "

Callycat Thu 17-Jan-13 23:44:11

Out of context it's impossible to tell. Git is used affectionately in my family. We're not genteel though ...

AnyFucker Germany Thu 17-Jan-13 23:44:49

What else has he said ?

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:45:16

Undertaker ...

No ( grin )
actually a Doctor

Pan Thu 17-Jan-13 23:45:37

This has signs of being a long thread, unfortunately.

ElectricSheep Thu 17-Jan-13 23:45:55

Me and DS have 'pet names'

He's little fucker and I'm mother fucker - meant affectionately tho unless he's really gettin on me tits

Domesticsloven Thu 17-Jan-13 23:46:06

A F I don't get it ?

Pan Thu 17-Jan-13 23:46:32

Doctor of..? A GP?

AnyFucker Germany Thu 17-Jan-13 23:46:58

You and me both, Domesticsloven

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now