Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Online dating - day 1 nightmare

(42 Posts)
KellyElly Thu 17-Jan-13 22:00:42

Just dipped my toe into the muddy waters on online dating today. I really good looking, seemingly nice guy wanted to chat. All good so far.

He sort of made a few innuendos and after a bit I said that I wasn't looking for a hook up or anything casual and was he. This was after he asked me to ask him anything. He kind of attacked me and said I had looked into things and he was just being cheeky and he was completely put off me and was a bit rude. I now feel really humiliated and like I did something wrong but was just trying to be open and honest.

My previous relationship with DD's dad was all about him making me feel I was to blame for everything and assinating my character and now I just feel so shit and stupid. Should I just give up on relationships all together. Maybe I'm just not ready for this or maybe I just don't understand online dating ettiqute?? Advice please.

JuliaScurr Fri 18-Jan-13 19:08:19

He's a knob
Next!

bumhead Fri 18-Jan-13 19:35:50

Kelly please join the dating thread, they are a lovely bunch of savvy, funny, kind women and men and are fantastic at sorting the wheat from the dating chaff.
I lurk on there all the time because I love reading their adventures, reminds me of when I was an OD and it will give you faith that there are good people out there OD when you've had a bad day and seem to be meeting dickheads online

KellyElly Fri 18-Jan-13 20:27:16

Thanks bumhead. I think I will smile

akaemmafrost Fri 18-Jan-13 20:33:22

There are some people who do on line dating who seem to think that they have the right to tell it like it is to the people they engage with (anonymously from the protection of their computer) they usually do so and then block you immediately so you can't answer back. Rest assured this man is a proper arsehole in RL and you've dodged a bullet. You may also be assured that you got him bang to rights jn your analysis of his contact with you and that why he attacked you. You did well to call actually, honestly you did smile.

I got burned like this early days and I've never been back it's not for me I am afraid.

VelvetSpoon Fri 18-Jan-13 20:40:17

Online dating is mostly full of chancers, weirdos, married men, serial shaggers and the like. There are literally a handful of decent blokes on there. And even the nicest ones often have issues a mile long.

I am a habitué of the dating thread, though I'm not on there much at the moment for various reasons, I definitely agree you should check it out, everyone is very welcoming smile

shopafrolic Fri 18-Jan-13 20:41:17

Don't give up!! The first man who ever contacted me on Dating Direct asked me to send him my knickers!! I blocked him and moved on. I had email chat with a few really pleasant guys and then one of them asked for my number. We spoke on the phone for two hours, then met, and we're now married with a wonderful DS.
You need to be savvy yes but don't be disheartened. I would actually always recommend talking on the phone first. If you can't find things to all about on the phone then don't waste your time with a meet.
Most of all, have fun. My girlfriends and I used to open a bottle of wine and trawl through the site having a good old nose! It was actually my friend who 'poked' my now DH!!!! She also married a guy she met online. Good luck!

BillyBollyDandy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:37:55

I met my DH on match 7 years ago and he's fab grin

I never ever met anyone who made any sort of innuendo when we were chatting prior to a date.

I had one man ask me to meet him in a car park for sex. The first time we had contact. It was a no from me suprisingly

BillyBollyDandy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:13

sorry i mean i never met up with anyone who had made any innuendo

KellyElly Sat 19-Jan-13 10:46:03

The guy that was rude to me is slightly unhinged I think. Every time I log on he keeps trying to instant message me and winking at me even though I keep ignoring him. I tried to show myself as offline but you have to pay extra for that! I also think I have to pay extra to block as far as I can work out. Online dating is going to take a bit of getting used to! I'm going to join the dating thread on Monday as have no internet at home and my phone signal is playing up (probably the weather).

Numberlock Sat 19-Jan-13 11:54:14

What about giving speed dating a go?

landscaperguy Sat 19-Jan-13 16:02:20

What about online dating for men who happen to be gay? I have done internet dating for 5 years now with breaks in between and can honestly say i have not met one single person where i would like anything serious with. I have tried to be thick skinned but i am not like that personality wise. So anyone considering online dating do bare in mind you need a thick skin and be prepared to meet loads of losers and weirdos and guys who don't know what they want.

People tell me there are nice people out there but i don't think they are to be found on Gaydar for example.

StuffezLaBouche Sat 19-Jan-13 16:34:23

Gaydar's out - it's all about Grindr these days.

landscaperguy Sat 19-Jan-13 17:29:57

Whats Grindr and how does it work? Is it a better way to meet guys? Found Plenty of Fish rubbish. I think internet dating may work if your straight but i know no gay people who its worked for.

StuffezLaBouche Sat 19-Jan-13 17:41:02

Cant confess to being an expert but my best mate is male and gay. He used gaydar in his "youth" about 6 or 7 years ago purely for random hookups. Now, like me, hes looking for something more solid. He tried match but found very few guys. Now he uses grindr and has had a few dates recently.

landscaperguy Sat 19-Jan-13 20:15:32

Ill give it a go but don't hold out much hope.

Arthurfowlersallotment Sat 19-Jan-13 20:28:17

Grindr is very casual hook up orientated. It shows you members near you by the GPS on your phone. Very clever.

Agree dating sites for gay men are rubbish for anyone looking for a serious relationship.

Good luck OP. there are arseholes all over every dating site. I had a message from a married man, another told me I was ugly when I didn't reply to him, and one I did go on a date with was significantly older and larger than his photograph. And talked nonstop about himself.

Six bad dates in I met my now DP.

landscaperguy Sun 20-Jan-13 14:12:51

Congratulations Arthurfowlersallotment. If anyone has any suggestions where gay men meet for serious relationships then do let me know. I am non scene and very masculine acting so looking to meet similar. I do go to the gym so do get out and about. There are some outdoor groups but mainly in Birmingham and Manchester too far away from me. Im in East Anglia and bugger here for 'normal' men who are attracted to men.

Its a shame people don't go out and meet face to face anymore and more reliant on the net.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now