Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When did you take your wedding ring off??

(29 Posts)
LouMacca Thu 03-Jan-13 11:52:31

When you agreed to separate or when you actually got divorced?

Thanks.

newyearletsgoforit Fri 04-Jan-13 17:47:29

When I found out the OW was pregnant!

I've still got the wedding ring in my jewellery box, I gave the engagement ring an ex girlfriend of my sons, not bothd about getting it back lol

crazygracieuk Fri 04-Jan-13 16:57:14

I suddenly had a flashback to movie Meet The Parents where a ring is "a circle of trust." The trust had been broken so the ring was taken off.

fooledagaincantbelieveit Fri 04-Jan-13 10:30:55

As soon as I started fancying someone else!!

akaemmafrost Fri 04-Jan-13 03:29:46

While we were still married and living together. He'd been repeatedly unfaithful and they just didn't mean anything anymore.

He took them and pawned them. The wedding and engagement ring I don't care about but the eternity ring he gave me after ds was born meant a lot to me because of ds and I am still sad when I think about it and wish so much I still had it.

LouMacca Thu 03-Jan-13 23:02:15

Thanks for replies everyone. Un-Mumsnet hugs to you all. My DS has given me the ring from The Lord of the Rings Lego set, I've put it on a necklace :-) H hasn't noticed.....yet!!!

KirstyWirsty Thu 03-Jan-13 22:46:26

When I found out about his affair I confiscated his and threw mine at him .. It bounced back to me and I stuck it in my pocket along with his

I started wearing my first engagement ring on my wedding finger instead but after a fortnight switched that to my right hand as I was worried about people congratulating me on my engagement hmm

surreygrump Thu 03-Jan-13 22:40:38

Think I managed to leave it on for about 90 mins after he admitted the affair. I laid it on him as he lay on the couch guess he was in shock as I was and have remained really quite calm and dignified. Found it on bedside table think its in a pot and will pass it on. Guess it will not have same sentiment that I got from my Mum's if that makes sense

snowshapes Thu 03-Jan-13 22:23:49

About two years ago, but we are still married. I am not happy, but keep thinking I should give it another few months. Like some miracle will make everything okay.

TisILeclerc Thu 03-Jan-13 22:16:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lemonstartree Thu 03-Jan-13 21:28:43

The day I kicked him out. It was over and a very symbolic gesture...later sold platinum and diamond wedding ring for about 15% of its cost. The cheapskate never gave me an engagement ring!

ThereISaidIt Thu 03-Jan-13 21:03:19

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was when I made the decision that I was going to file for divorce.

It took ages for the mark it left on my finger to disappear. It felt like part of a healing process.

imFINEthanks Thu 03-Jan-13 17:53:56

The day I told the cheating, lying twunt to leave forever. He took it with him 'for safe keeping' and I've never seen it again grin.

UterusUterusGhaLaLaLaLaLi Thu 03-Jan-13 17:48:57

Just now, and I couldn't get them back on. grin

That's that then.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 03-Jan-13 14:07:54

"when I find them, what should I do with them? "

Take them to a jewellers (not one of these Gold 4 U type sharks) and get a good price. Then use the money to buy something new that makes you happy

SoHHKB Thu 03-Jan-13 13:47:08

FWIW, I keep meaning to ask my xh for his wedding ring so I can have all three made into a necklace or similar for our dds 18th - seems a shame to see gold and diamonds go to waste... wink

ProphetOfDoom Thu 03-Jan-13 13:22:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Took mine off the day I kicked him out. Still sitting with engagement and eternity ring somewhere in the house. Should sell them really as have no emotional attachment to them.

WaitingForMe Thu 03-Jan-13 13:16:57

I took both off the day I told him it was over. He also took his off... to throw across the room in anger.

It lived on the floor for about a week.

crazygracieuk Thu 03-Jan-13 13:13:05

I took mine off 2 days after I kicked him out as it (the marriage) doesn't mean anything anymore.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 03-Jan-13 13:10:23

I still wear my old engagement ring because I like it, not because of any sentimental association. The wedding ring is in my jewellery box and I think I took it off the day he walked out.

LouMacca Thu 03-Jan-13 12:29:18

Thanks Hot that's what I'll do!! Was looking at some lovely rings in M&S before Xmas :-)

HotDAMNlifeisgood Thu 03-Jan-13 12:25:42

Sounds great, if the family heirloom brings you comfort.

I got over the "feels weird" feeling by buying myself a bunch of different lovely, colourful costume jewelry type rings that fit my ring finger.

LouMacca Thu 03-Jan-13 12:17:04

Can't believe it's not Butter did the trick. Feels weird. It's been on for over 14 years. Think I will put my engagement ring back on, it's a passed down family one.....

HotDAMNlifeisgood Thu 03-Jan-13 12:14:00

Soap? Anything oily, like moisturiser or even butter?

LouMacca Thu 03-Jan-13 12:09:35

I guess it feels right now. Just don't want to inflict more pain on H. Plus I can't actually get it off!! :-) Any tips welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now