Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

my husband just threw me across the bed and called me a cunt. help. long, sorry.

(55 Posts)
2013hadbetterbebetterthanthis Mon 31-Dec-12 08:28:52

I have namechanged. I'll try not to drip feed but I'm a bit weirded out. I just need some sensible talk.

H and I have been together for 12 years and married for 6. When we first met he had lots of issues and lost his temper a fair bit, although was never violent. He cut down his drinking, had lots of couselling and seemed to have sorted himself out. He has always been quite quick to temper.. We have 2 children aged 4 and 2. He never shouts at or is aggressive in any way toward them. He does more than his equal share of houswork becuase he can't bear mess - he is almost OCD about it.

I have been noticing lately that he just doesn't seem to like me much. He is very critical (says I am messy, hints that I am lazy, criticises how I look after the children, I dont have sex enough) and always seems grumpy with me. He suffers from depression and says that he is trying hard to fight it and that I should be more understanding of his moods. I have tried very hard to be. He has started criticising me in front of other people, which I find hugely upsetting. This is intersperesed (sp??) with him being saying how much he loves me, checking and re-checking that I will never leave him etc. If I go out he always asks if there will be other men there (when I said how insulting I found this he said it's a 'joke'). I have inwardly said to myself that if things don't improve within a year then I will leave him, because I want to give the treatment and counselling he is having a chance to work.

We both work, me part time. When I work I still get up early with the kids and sort them out before I go. He does not. When I finish work I come home and put them to bed, he does not. This morning DD wanted to get up early and I thought H was getting up with her (he is off work and has been for 11 days). He refused. We had an argument because I was angry that although he has had a holiday I have not had a single lie-in (god, this sounds so pathetic but I'm trying to explain what happened). After some heated debate, but really nothing unusual, he grabbed me by the shoulders, threw me onto the bed and shouted "just fucking go to bed then, you cunt". And I mean really shouted. It hurt my shoulder as he did it, but no bruises left or anything like that. I replied that no, he can go back to bed and I'm going to call a lawyer. (I have no idea how to do that).

I know what I need to do. I really do. But I don't know how, emotionally or practically. I think know exactly how the day will go now: he will apologise, somehow try and make me take responsibility for a break up, and I think he will start using the children, as in saying if I leave him he will try and get custody blah blah blah. Because he'll be angry and nasty. He'll dismiss what happened and deny that he's violent. Not becuase this has happened before but becuase I know him so well.

I know this is what they all do. I know I'm exactly the same as so many other women, but this is my life and it doesn't seem real. I have no savings, no deposit for a flat. I have family or friends I could stay with but I need to minimise the disruption to my children. If I had the money I would be gone already. How sad is that?

I haven't told anyone yet. I need mumsnet help and strength. I'm worried I won't leave him because it's so scary. I'm educated and professional. Noone who knows me would believe I would be in this situation.

mathsconundrum Thu 03-Jan-13 20:21:53

Am really pleased for you. His behaviour was outrageous and inexcusable.

JonTheNonMum Thu 03-Jan-13 19:28:48

Well done. The decision you will make will be the right one for you - you have done everything right giving yourself space and time to think.

MalibuStac Thu 03-Jan-13 18:29:47

Just read you thread and wishing you strength to keep doing what your doing.

ImperialBlether Thu 03-Jan-13 18:19:34

Good for you. He needed to be told that. You must feel you're walking on eggshells, living with him.

2013hadbetterbebetterthanthis Thu 03-Jan-13 18:17:06

Hello, thank you all. Well, he's gone, albeit only temporarily. He's at his mum's which is 100 miles away. I won't bore you with the details but after much jaw-jaw I have told him that I don't believe that I will ever be able to get past what he did, let alone respect, love him etc etc. He is very sad, as am I. He's gone for 2 weeks which will give me time to get my head in order at least, and prepare for a final decision. I am trying very hard to make a good decision for me and my children, and I have to make sure that I make it myself without influence, because I am the one who has to live with the consequences of that decision forever.

I feel fine though. I can't thank you all enough for listening.

HotDAMNlifeisgood Wed 02-Jan-13 12:57:07

How are things, 2013 ?

FreudianLisp Mon 31-Dec-12 19:49:19

OP, other people can give you much better advice than I can about the legal and practical side of it, but I just wanted to pick you up on one thing: earlier, you called yourself pathetic. From everything you've written, it's abundantly clear that you're not remotely pathetic. What you're trying to do is hard and scary. Anyone would find it hard. That doesn't make you pathetic. Good luck. One day you'll be one of the many people on this board saying 'I did it and my life is so much better now.'

Good luck.

izzyizin Mon 31-Dec-12 19:23:14

when it's your partner of over a decade it is very difficult to just throw everything into chaos

The 'chaos' is in your marriage and having him gone from the marital home will give you opportunity to restore order.

Please act on Cogito's advice; if you are harbouring any fond thoughts of bringing about positive change in your relationship, you must first ensure that the balance of power shifts in your favour and this will only be achieved when you seize control and make it clear to him that he no longer gets to dictate terms.

In subjecting you to physical assault, he has forfeited the right to stay in your home. If he does not agree to leave the police will remove him and, despite any lack of visible injury to your person, they will take this matter seriously.

This is an auspicious day to draw a line in the sand; to take stock of the recent past and to change your ways - those subservient anything-for-a-quiet-life treading on eggshells ways that have enabled him to dominate and control you - and his unreasonableness and bad temper will become even more pronounced if you let him get away with throwing you around.

Read Daisyanns response of 14.55 together with her current post on this board and take steps to ensure that what's happened to her and her dc can never happen to you and yours.

Empross76 Mon 31-Dec-12 18:46:04

Hi there,
Really sorry this has happened to you. Thought it was worth asking as most of the posts seem to be saying the same thing...

Do you want the relationship to end over this incident? I think you said in your original post that he has never been violent before and that, as he is trying to sort his depression, you had been thinking along the lines of staying in the relationship while he does this to see if it improves things.

If this incident has changed things and you can see no way back then fair enough. But if the relationship is worth fighting for and you think that if the depression goes it would alter your feelings towards your husband for the better, then I would stick at it. Use what happened today to make a stand and act as a 'short, sharp shock' (for want of a better phrase) for your husband to sort himself out.

I've not been on mumsnet long but what I have observed is that most threads similar to these are full of 'leave him' and don't seem to have many other opinions. I know I'm likely to make myself unpopular, but thought another opinion/option may be helpful.

Good luck with whatever, either way I'm sure it'll be a tough few days so thinking of you.

Googol Mon 31-Dec-12 17:52:30

Has he phoned your mum before to 'explain the situation'?

My toxic mother used this technique to put herself in a good light while damaging my reputation and version of events at the same time. She had been doing this for years without me realising so most of my family think I'm nuts. She's a master manipulater, all said under the 'I'm so worried about googol' line.

Ask your mum what he's been saying first. It sounds like he's primed them to doubt what you say about him.

BettySuarez Mon 31-Dec-12 17:20:47

If he is making threats re custody of the children then all the more reason why you should log incident with police.

They will believe you

You don't need evidence

They will give you the time and the space you need to think and make plans

Please listen to us OP sad

TalkativeJim Mon 31-Dec-12 17:16:51

OP, after everything you have said about the relationship in general and the kind of man he is, in addition to what has just happened, I think that the biggest mistake you are about to make is not calling the police and logging this incident.

You have already outlined the kind of manipulation you expect him to use, and the denial of violence you expect him to make, to try and downplay this and prevent you leaving him (if that's the way you want to go). You've also said you'd fully expect him to try the old 'I'll go for custody' card to also bully you into staying.

So why, when he has just made the biggest mistake of all, done the one thing which would more or less stop him from having access to all these weapons against you, WHY are you about to shoot yourself in the foot and help him to maintain that power over you?

Please go with the children to your sister's and call the police from there. So your H has called them already? Don't think anything he's said to them is going to have as much impact as you arriving and saying, first thing I need to do is call the police and report his violence. On the other hand, turning up and saying, he assaulted me but I don't want to report it - a bit different.

Look forward to the discussions you will have with him after this. Going to be a bit difficult for him to sneer at you that he isn't violent when he's just been cautioned for assault, isn't it? You won't even have to argue the point with him.

Oh, and threatening you with going for custody? All you'll have to say, quite calmly, is that with domestic violence in the frame, unfortunately it's more likely to be a question of whether he gets unsupervised contact when you split. Custody? Not a chance, and if he were to rock up at his solicitors some way down the line thinking that would be a useful tactic to try and bring you into line, he'd be told where to go.

All that power to you, and more to the point a way of possibly preventing a whole load of extra harassment and hassle IF you split, just by making that call.

Please log this incident and start defending yourself against this bully. You will need to, no matter what outcome you hope for.

JonTheNonMum Mon 31-Dec-12 17:13:03

Thanks Betty - have felt very selfish so many times at 3am taking solace from others who take the time to post about the problems I am experiencing with ds but never felt I could give much back until I read this.

It's terrible but this is such a common occurrence - physical abuse followed by regret, remorse and manipulation which makes everything better until next time. I hope things work out for op whatever decision she takes.

BettySuarez Mon 31-Dec-12 17:00:09

JonTheNonMum - welcome to mumsnet smile

I think that your post is so incredibly important for the OP and for others going through the same thing

Bless you for posting xx

Lueji Mon 31-Dec-12 16:52:09

He is being a bad person.

He's calling your relatives behind your back, he's not going out and he's not repentant, or even recognising what he did as bad.

JonTheNonMum Mon 31-Dec-12 16:43:55

My first post on mumsnet... read so much over the past few weeks which has helped me so much... This is the first thread I have felt i have to reply to.

I'm a police officer with significant experience in domestic violence - I am not going to tell you to report it to the police, that is a decision you have to make... But i want to assure you they will support you, they will ensure you have space to think, they will put you in touch will people that can help you long term to rebuild - if that is what you chose to do, they will protect you in the short term.

My view for what it is worth: He has physically assaulted you as well as everything else - this is completely unacceptable both for you and your children. You don't need him. It's easy for me to say - so much harder to do.

If there is anything I can do to help explain what the police will do or anything at all let me know. I hope you do the right thing for you and your children.

financialwizard Mon 31-Dec-12 16:42:42

2013 please call the police and log the incident. They need to know you are a victim of domestic violence so that at the very least if they get a call to your house they know it is important. It would also be easier to get an occupation order if that is what it is still called

After calling the Police call your Sister, and either get her to help you kick him out or ask if you can stay with her until you can sort something more permanent.

BluelightsAndSirens Mon 31-Dec-12 16:25:00

He called your mum and sister so he could cover his tracks, he will blame you.

I wonder why they haven't tried to contact you?

He is being very controlling, if you let him win this one that will look like you are consenting to being treated like this, no respect for you or the DC.

You need to ideally get him to leave so he can feel the full effect of his actions.

tribpot Mon 31-Dec-12 16:21:58

So he's demonstrating his respect for you by refusing to do the one thing you have asked him to - go out.

He's also phoned your family to get his version of events in first, to try and undermine any attempt you make to see support.

Is he just reading from the ABC Book of How to be an Abuser?

Stick to your original plan - ask your sister if you can go and stay there. What he's told her is irrelevant.

Sunnywithshowers Mon 31-Dec-12 16:15:30

Hello lovely
There's no excuse for throwing you across the bed. None whatever.
I would definitely report to the police.

2013hadbetterbebetterthanthis Mon 31-Dec-12 16:04:13

so he's still here. He keeps asking me to talk, and what I'm thinking. I have told him that if he won't go out then he can at least leave me alone. He's slid off upstairs now.

pictish you're right. He's a fucking piece of work. While I was upstairs he rang my mum and sister to 'explain' things to them. Is that mental? I assume it was him telling them what a great guy he is. I haven't spoken to them yet.

OK. I'm feeling quite strong now. It comes in waves. The problem is he's not behaving like a bad person right now - and I know that's what they do, but when it's your partner of over a decade it is very difficult to just throw everything into chaos.

So not that strong then, really.

Your comments are really helping me, honestly, so thanks.

Daisylynn Mon 31-Dec-12 14:55:35

I just read your post twice because it sounds like something I would've wrote. My kids are now 17 and 19 (twins) though. I too was with my ex for 18 yrs and I have been out if the house for 3 years now almost to the day. I should've left more than 5 yrs ago but like you I had no means to afford to. I too knew I needed to go and things progressively got worse as I stayed. I even went to a shelter with the kids but went back.
My point is this. When I left my kids were 16 and 14. I thought at that age that it would be easier. My daughter stayed with him and she still does and the twins lived on and off with me and now live with their girlfriends parents. My ex is so bitter now and now I rarely see the kids. If I had left sooner and insisted on having the kids with me I would've had a chance to bring some happiness to their lives. My ex has money and I have a very fixed income. He now buys their love and I cannot compete. Had I left sooner I would've been able to show them that he cannot control me or them but it is too late. He controls them by providing them with cars, loans, toys, etc. I cannot do this for them nor do I want to. He is very manipulating and uses these material things to keep them from me.
If you can find a way to get away from him, do it! And take the children with you. Give him visitation rights but that's it. Teach them not to be like him. His OCD and jealousy and putting you down is all a form of control to keep you grounded with him and to decrease your confidence so that you will stay. Calling you a cunt and throwing you in the bed is not acceptable. I know it's hard to stand up to him, I've been there so you have to leave. Get professional help and do not get into another relationship for at least 1 yr if not longer. I am speaking from experience.
I hope that you keep talking on here. Your voice needs to be heard. Don't let this slip away... LEAVE HIM!!!

BettySuarez Mon 31-Dec-12 13:18:45

Lease call the police first and foremost and get friends family over as soon as possible.

Your husband is all of the things he is claiming not to be and he will never ever change.

It sounds as if things have escalated recently so you and your children are in increasing danger.

You need to stop this now

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Mon 31-Dec-12 13:13:03

Get him to go out then leave while he is out. It may seem mean, but you have to put you and your children before him.

FlojoHoHoHo Mon 31-Dec-12 13:08:34

Has he gone out?
As soon as he does quickly pack and leave, otherwise text your sister or whoever and ask them to come round urgently and then leave him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now