Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - New Year? So, Let's Go Up A Gear!

(1000 Posts)
ChristMouseTimeMistletoeNoWine Wed 26-Dec-12 21:54:45

Hello, tis me, Mouse (normally Mouseface but I'm wearing my festive name smile)

Welcome to the Brave Babes Battle Bus, to a place of solace, support and sanctuary, if that's what you seek of course. It's also a Bus full of bloomin' chatterboxes, waffling on about life, love and all things from school reports to laundry! grin

The journey into 2013 is going to be an ass kicking one as we're moving up a gear to give the WineWitch a bloody good slapping, and the BoozeBeast a kick in the bollo............. grin

Some of us drink in moderation, some of us drink. Some of us are sober, some of us are trying so very, very hard to be.

Some of us have been dry for days, weeks, months and some of us years...... some of us are just starting out and are scared of what stopping drinking means. It's not forever, it's just for today if that's what you want. smile

We have a saying on the Bus One Day At A Time. Or ODAAT

Take each moment, each day and each blip as it comes. The support on this Bus has kept me from ruining my life time and time again. The experiences of others shared here has helped me to change the way I see alcohol, the way I see what it does to me.

Although some Babes have been here a while and kind of 'know' each other, we all have different lives, different roles to play, different places to sit on the Bus, but we ALL have or have had abusive relationships with alcohol and we're here because we want that to change; for the better.

Everyone is welcome here so don't be afraid to just jump right in and say hi. Post as much or as little as you like!

So, come say hi, grab a seat, an eggnog (non alcoholic of course wink) and a mince pie, or chocolate chip cookie, and meet some lovely, genuine people who are just like YOU.

Also, HERE IS THE PREVIOUS THREAD with a link in the OP to the first ever thread, and the reason why after more than two and a half years, this thread is still here, supporting those in need. smile

Fairenuff Fri 04-Jan-13 21:05:09

Not caught up with the thread yet, but just wanted to re-post Just For Today, in case anyone is stuggling. Will have a read and be back soon x

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

JUST FOR TODAY I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will lean something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do - just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective on my life.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

determinedma Fri 04-Jan-13 21:10:59

That's nice faire
<slaps purple with a wet fish> stop snivelling ya daft old tart. grin

aliasjoey Fri 04-Jan-13 21:15:08

mouse great advice for ma on letting your DH take over, even if he does things differently to the way you would do them. o know my DH and I have different approaches, as long as we agree on the basics it does the kid good to learn that adults (parents, grandparents, teachers) are individuals

interesting that koti suggested getting a home help for YOU and you automatically assumed she meant for memo... think maybe maybe you forget about your own needs sometimes. o hope that doesn't sound patronising

and ma you are on FIRE tonight! am really enjoying reading your posts at the moment! grin

GAH! sorry feeling really stressed. DD has been so clingy and irritating today - it's a mixture of it being nearly the end of the hols, the whole getting the cat excitement, her brother annoying her - and she has a hearing impariment which frustrates her when she's in certain 'moods' sad Day 4 is always tricky too isn;t it - especially being a Friday. I just want to stick gin in my gob grin sorry to be mememe. Will sort it out - rant over grin Hope all is going ok with all of you..

kotinka Fri 04-Jan-13 21:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

determinedma Fri 04-Jan-13 21:21:45

Its the new positive me, so unlike the old miserable one, doncha think?

Mouseface Fri 04-Jan-13 21:23:08

Ma - if Nemo would stay with someone else, there would be any number of volunteers. I swear, they are queuing up. smile

He. Just. Won't. Let. Anyone. In. sad

My friends are so worried, they also care and have seen myy weight drop off, my moods fluctuate, my life in tatters a few days a week because I was so tired, they want to help, he just has such a terrible time of things, his PTSD is affecting him still...... that will take time and nurturing to get through. He needs to let someone other than me and DH in.

And he will, in time.

Time. That's what his nurse said, it'll take time for him to get used to the fact that it's all over now.

So, it's not the getting someone, it's the getting him to be with that someone.... and with school just across the road, I can pick him up. I'll want to by then. smile

Purple xx

determinedma Fri 04-Jan-13 21:24:41

Quick hello to east then got to go. Tablet battery running out. Night all

Mouseface Fri 04-Jan-13 21:33:56

Night Ma xxx

And, thank you so much xxxx

aliasjoey Fri 04-Jan-13 22:01:55

purple are you there love? did the wet fish help, or do you now need a bath as well as a shoulder to cry on?

kotinka Fri 04-Jan-13 22:11:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurpleWolfe Fri 04-Jan-13 22:13:08

I'm here Joey, lurking in a shame-faced way, sad, hiding under one of the seats in the side-car!. The fish was useless, Ma needs to polish up her slapping technique wink but...but.... I did make myself a tuna salad sandwich (and it was so nice, I'm thinking of making another one). Also managed to sort out some photos onto disc for my DC's school's website that they asked me for (weeks ago!). I don't know about anyone else but I have always been shit at asking for help in RL. This Bus is a revelation for me. The support, care and support I've found here is phenomenal. Thank you all, my Bus friends. xxxx

PurpleWolfe Fri 04-Jan-13 22:18:32

<Yeah, so support was deliberately mentioned twice because... it so SUPPORTIVE! Crawls back under seat and considers taking up sucking her thumb again.....>

aliasjoey Fri 04-Jan-13 22:23:04

I'm in the sidecar too. I'm finishing up yesterday's wine and another mini bottle, and fretting cause it's not enough, I want more. guess that shows there is a problem. so tomorrow I'm going to start dry January.

the Bus is great isn't it grin

PurpleWolfe Fri 04-Jan-13 22:24:36

God, I hate that fretting 'it's not enough' feeling. Hugs Joey xxx

PurpleWolfe Fri 04-Jan-13 22:38:05

It's occurred to me that, we, on this Bus, must me the tip of the iceberg. We are the ones who have searched, researched and found this site and then been brave enough to post. There must be thousands, tens of thousands, who don't use/can't use a computer, lurk but don't post, haven't heard of MN, haven't admitted to themselves that there might be a problem etc. Just think, 20 years ago, most of us would be sitting at home struggling with this by ourselves, no-one to talk to, no support and, probably, feeling like we were the only one's with a problem. I feel like I have people I can be totally honest with because of the anonymity, people who will not judge and will have empathy, that is worth millions to me. Just a thought. xxxx

aliasjoey Fri 04-Jan-13 23:01:49

me too. I have literally posted on the Bus every single day for the last 7 months. it's my new addiction!

btw who mentioned about magnesium supplements? and was that the same person who said they had crohns?

lookingforhope Sat 05-Jan-13 00:05:05

Can't keep up with this bus! Been to a funeral and a panto in last 2 days (odd), day 2 of no booze. Not had time to read all the posts but welcome to everyone even newer than me and big hugs to all babes having a hard time. On phone so can't post much but hanging on in here with you wonderful babes

Hope alias mouse kotinka purple MA guggs hope pippen green & all other brave babes managed ok last night to beat whatever demon you were fighting off or that the sidecar not too bumpy. I didn't have a drink last night & slept better for it & feel better this morning. Starting to get oh no work on Monday feeling but will have had 17 days off so really, really shouldn't complain! Think it's cause it's first day back & have interview at 8:30am!! Going to spend a nice day with my children today & may take little one out on his bike as still have not managed this due to weather! Hope today ok for all babes smile

lookingforhope Sat 05-Jan-13 08:59:51

Feeling good for sober night also Clutter : ). About tp get ds up for athletics and preparing for massive case of shouty teenage grumps so glad I don't have grumpy hangover head myself! Hope you all have good weekends (am also back at work Monday but feel.I need to step away from the tv and chocolate before none of my clothes fit me.). Purple, Ma, Guggs and all - hope you get a break today babes! Will post properly later when have laptop charged!

So good to actually sleep and woke up feeling - well- normalish! Hopefull getting Smudge the cat today. We have everything ready (except our sanity perhaps) Wishing all a peaceful day.

lookingforhope Sat 05-Jan-13 09:01:04

Ps Clutter, what is the interview for? Will be sending you good luck vibes on Monday !

lookingforhope Sat 05-Jan-13 09:03:29

Hey Holly, happy new cat day : ). (Steels self to finally stop posting and procrastinating and haul ds from his pit)

Aw well done holly and hope feels so much better than usual fuggy head on a Saturday morning. I need to go get teenage dd up soon & know she's going to be grumpy but need to break the sleeping all day up all night cycle before she goes back to school on Tuesday. Aw good luck getting smudge, that's exciting, new little kitty cat smile Interview is for community school nurse post, same band that I'm on but school holidays (though better not say at interview that that's what appeals to me)

obrigada Sat 05-Jan-13 09:23:40

Morning. Survived the wedding on Thurs. Drank a barrel of water and had a huge breakfast/lunch before it. Paced myself with the drinks, didnt even get tipsy, enjoyed the day. No hangover yesterday.

This thread is not accepting new messages.