Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Crotch grabbing, jelly nailing, double-quick portions and man parts floating in a pear tree...dating thread 33 survived Christmas so bring on NYE!

(1000 Posts)
OhLittleTownofWesternWind Wed 26-Dec-12 00:14:51

Here we are!

BantaBaby Tue 01-Jan-13 00:21:15

OWW I'm just grinning here for you. Happy new year sweetie

OhLittleTownofWesternWind Tue 01-Jan-13 00:26:17

Oh thank you. Can't believe it. Might even have said it back ...

I hope it's not just the champers talking. What a start to the new year. I will never understand these things. He apologised !!!! in case he had scared me off. Ha ha.

grin grin grin

OhLittleTownofWesternWind Tue 01-Jan-13 00:27:33

And happy new year too Bant one full of adventures (of various sorts) and fun and happiness

MirandaWest Tue 01-Jan-13 00:30:19

Happy new year everyone smile

BillMasen Tue 01-Jan-13 00:38:08

Happy new year to everyone on this thread. I know I'm a recent addition but I've been given advice, friendship and amusement in equal measure on here and it's been of immense value.

Thanks to you all, and hope 2013 brings you whatever it is you're looking for.

MsCellophane Tue 01-Jan-13 00:41:02

Happy New Year fellow daters - and taken ones OWW grin

Here's to 2013 bringing nice people into our lives

lubeybooby Tue 01-Jan-13 00:41:25

Happy new year my lovely daters, I hope 2013 brings you every single thing you want! xxx

VelvetSpoon Tue 01-Jan-13 00:42:00

Happy New Year to all of us!

Despite having spent it at home, this is definitely one of my better NYE's grin

ThatsNice Tue 01-Jan-13 00:48:21

Happy New Years everyone! grin Back to work for me, so no partying. Hope you're all having fun wink

ParsleyTheLioness Tue 01-Jan-13 00:50:26

Happy New Years peeps...been away for a while...

BantaBaby Tue 01-Jan-13 00:50:46

Velvet - I'm really chuffed for you with Spaceman. Let's hope he gets his phone sorted and you can both go on pinching yourself for being with someone so lovely for many many dates to come

Wind - ok, you have to stay on the thread even though you're all loved up. We need you.

Snape - ignore the questions. They mean nothing. Just get to know the man.

Bill - did you go to the gig in the end? How are things with Geek Girl?

Juliet - thanks for your wise words the last few months - on here and by PM. It's really been appreciated

48, Lubey, Flo, Miranda, NoMore, Snail (if you're still reading) and everyone else whose names escape me. Thanks for everything. Dating is scary when you're trying to deal with kids, divorce, bad exes, all the other stuff life throws at you. You lot have really made it a lot easier - and sometimes talking about it has been more fun than the dating itself. Thanks to all, and happy new year.

ParsleyTheLioness Tue 01-Jan-13 00:53:47

Banta and me!* smile

BantaBaby Tue 01-Jan-13 00:54:27

and Parsley grin

ParsleyTheLioness Tue 01-Jan-13 00:56:59

Thanks Banta grin And good wishes to everyone!

antonym Tue 01-Jan-13 00:59:44

Happy New Year Everybody

BillMasen Tue 01-Jan-13 00:59:51

Hi bant. No I didn't. Didn't fancy hanging around watching a gig I thought I'd be playing in a venue I wouldn't normally choose to be in, so had a quiet one at home. I didn't go to see geek girl either as, tempted as I was, it just didn't feel appropriate to turn up and meet kids etc. just too soon.

It's going really well though. In fact I might have a dilemma. You see, I'm new to seeing other people and had it in mind that I'd meet a range of people from good to bad and perhaps maybe eventually click with someone. There's a danger it's happened first time out and the first girl I dated wasn't supposed to have potential.

I'm kind of wondering if it's just luck,or is it the rebound thing making it seem better than it is? She's really keen and I'm worried that I'll either hurt her, or me, or both.

Am I worrying over nothing?

OhLittleTownofWesternWind Tue 01-Jan-13 01:07:46

Bill if you've found someone you like and who likes you first time, that's a great stroke of luck. I wouldn't worry about it - it's just timing and you could easily have had a couple of blah dates first. Maybe a conversation about taking things steady would be in order if you're worried she's a bit keen. There are no guarantees - just enjoy it and see what happens.

BantaBaby Tue 01-Jan-13 01:15:24

Bill - it's all statistics, numbers, and random chance. Some people on here have been dating for years and haven't felt that real click yet, or got on really well with anyone. Some people meet their perfect person on the first time out - it all averages out.

Don't look at the sweet trolley, give Geek Girl a go for a few weeks, no more dates with anyone else. You may be one of the lucky few. We're not jealous at all smile

BantaBaby Tue 01-Jan-13 01:19:53

And Bill from re-reading your post - if you want to play the field a bit, which is understandable after getting out of a long term thing, then that's fine - just try not to hurt the Geek. I've had thoughts about it, but realised fairly soon that trying to find someone great will probably take some looking. When it comes along though, I'll grab it. I spent long enough in a soul destroying marriage that I want to actually be happy with someone.

My, I'm chatty tonight.

BillMasen Tue 01-Jan-13 01:20:34

I suppose my worry is whether it's a real click or a rebound click. Don't want to hurt someone if it's not real, but don't want to waste it if it is.

BantaBaby Tue 01-Jan-13 01:26:57

then give it a go. If you spend all your time thinking how she's so much better than your ex, it's a rebound thing. If you spend your time thinking she's just great and makes you happy, then that's not rebound

mercury7 Tue 01-Jan-13 01:42:27

a click is a click Bill and no one would ever do anything if we though too much about the potential for getting hurt
worse things happen at seasmile

Nomorepain Tue 01-Jan-13 02:48:16

Bant - nice definition on reboundness! For me, everyone seems better than my ex purely because I can see now that he was a selfish waste of space? Will I be in rebound land forever?

Am I reading this correctly that if you compare people to your ex all the time then you are rebounding but if you just take people for themselves then you're not? I have a tendency to compare all men to my ex. Always have done. I will work on stopping that. In fact it could be my New Years resolution!!

Apologies, I've not even had a drink tonight?!

Nomorepain Tue 01-Jan-13 02:52:26

Bill - geek girl sounds good. Think Bant is right though and you should take things slowly. Don't know if it is just me but someone can seem totally amazing one week then bottom of my list the next. It's great that you've got that click with someone though, make the most of it!!

OhLittleTownofWesternWind Tue 01-Jan-13 03:13:04

Can't get to sleep tonight. Need to stop thinking about him and get some bloody sleep!

This thread is not accepting new messages.