Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DP proposed last night!

(42 Posts)
BertieBotts Fri 21-Dec-12 09:45:13

grin

DP ran a bath while I was putting DS to bed, filled the bathroom with candles, and our favourite wine ready to drink. DS took ages to put to bed, so I saw all of this, but the sneaky bugger had hidden the ring up on the little shelf on the shower, so I had no idea what he had planned grin

He said he wanted to recreate our first romantic night, which he did, very well. He had a whole speech prepared (which he bottled half of grin) about what me and DS mean to him and how he sees us all etc. We're moving to Germany next year where DP has been for the last 6 months, and he said he wanted us to go as more than just boyfriend and girlfriend.

I did leave him hanging on a response for probably a good 20 minutes wink it was a bit earlier than I was expecting, and I was a little apprehensive. But we've decided not to plan any wedding stuff until after the move, and I realised that this is what I have been wanting. I wanted to wait until after the move for the wedding stuff, and we are, so declaring our intentions now works, and I love the idea of us going into the new year together like this and having our future ahead of us (well, save any apocalypse shenanigans, anyway grin)

He is such a lovely man. He is kind and gentle, funny and clever. He's always been supportive of everything I've wanted and done (even when I've screwed things up blush) and encouraged me to try new things for myself which I never would have had the confidence to do on my own. He helps me see straight when I'm tying myself up in knots about things, and DS absolutely adores him, DP is so patient with him, always has time to show him something or explain something in a different way and is constantly proud of him. Every time something has come up for us, we've been able to talk it through and resolve it - we never really argue, unless it's about silly things. I am happy. I love him.

Yay grin

Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Fri 21-Dec-12 14:52:31

Yay! Congratulations! grin

NilentSight Fri 21-Dec-12 13:13:45

Awww - congratulations! smile

MamaWomanAha Fri 21-Dec-12 12:49:50

Congratulations thanks

MadSleighLady Fri 21-Dec-12 12:41:29

Oh congratulations to you both! flowers What a lovely proposal. smile

donteatthefiggypudding Fri 21-Dec-12 12:25:55

such a lovely post, bertie, congratulations xx

caramelwaffle Fri 21-Dec-12 12:23:49

Congratulations smile

Lottapianos Fri 21-Dec-12 12:20:53

I'm glad you're so happy smile Congratulations thanks

VioletNotViolent Fri 21-Dec-12 12:14:16

Ooooooh CONGRATULATIONS!! That's so exciting!!! - i haven't read your OP yet, I just clicked saw your name & had to post immediately!! grin

waitingtobeamummy Fri 21-Dec-12 12:13:59

Ahh congratulations! Such a romantic proposal too. Please have a winter wedding as I always think they'd be lovely. and have me as bridesmaid

theleanandhungrytype Fri 21-Dec-12 12:09:58

That's lovely! I was dreading another unhappy story but its lovely to hear something so nice!

FayeKorgasm Fri 21-Dec-12 12:04:36

Wow! Congratulations and have a fab Christmas wine

Snazzyfeelingfestive Fri 21-Dec-12 11:50:51

Yay!

Anniegetyourgun Fri 21-Dec-12 11:48:54

Aww, that's lovely, Bertie smile

sadpenguin Fri 21-Dec-12 11:47:31

congratulations!
nice to see such happiness on the relationships board x

mascarpone Fri 21-Dec-12 11:11:53

How lovely. Congratulations smile

Woodlands Fri 21-Dec-12 11:07:44

Awww congratulations Bertie! Lovely news!

scottishmummy Fri 21-Dec-12 11:04:30

congratulations

TheseGoToEleven Fri 21-Dec-12 11:03:26

How wonderful! Congratulations!

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Fri 21-Dec-12 11:00:34

CONGRATULATIONS thankswinesmile

knittedslippersx3 Fri 21-Dec-12 10:58:49

Ahh lovely, congratulations!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 21-Dec-12 10:57:43

Bertie that is lovely! I remember when you were so down and still with your ex and just struggling with the basics of life.

I'm so happy for you, what a lovely Christmas present smile

Lizzylou Fri 21-Dec-12 10:56:05

Oh how lovely, your OP just oozes happiness. Your Fiance sounds lovely and very romantic.

Congratulations and have a wonderful Christmas smile

I think I may have something in my eye...

DoubleYew Fri 21-Dec-12 10:55:39

Aw that is lovely Bertie, congratulations!

wifey6 Fri 21-Dec-12 10:55:01

Aww that's so romantic!! Congratulations to you both!!
envy thanks envy thanks

BertieBotts Fri 21-Dec-12 10:52:34

Thank you all! smile Loops - probably going to be tight for a while money-wise with health insurance etc, but as it's within EU no problems with visas etc. Have been reading up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now