Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Free (or cheap!) date ideas

(7 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 04-Dec-12 21:49:30

Does anyone have any ideas for free or cheap dates for people in long term relationships? Dh and I don't need to get to know each other, but a couple of hours each month spent with each other while dc free would be nice.

The cinema is hideously expensive, especially as we can't do Wednesdays. Eating out would be nice but finding good deals seems difficult.

Is there anything we can do on a tight budget?

Lueji Tue 04-Dec-12 21:57:55

Eating in?

There's always the park, (some) museums, rented DVDs, even shopping.

At the moment, I meet for coffee at the end of the day just to keep contact during the week, and have done different things. From cooking at home to shopping, yes, and walks.

ClippedPhoenix Tue 04-Dec-12 22:28:11

Now the weather is cold there's not a lot of outdoor activities that you can do, what about a picnic at home? Turn the TV off, get a blanket, spread it out in the front room, feed each other with titbits whilst reading paragraphs from exotica and then .........

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Thu 06-Dec-12 19:31:39

I'm so sorry I forgot I had made this thread! Thanks for the suggestions... I need to do some serious planning to ensure we actually do something if we stay in rather than vegging in front of the tv or computer!

helpyourself Thu 06-Dec-12 19:38:58

It's so hard, especially when it's cold out, so no chance of pinics in parks , walks etc. Going out cheaply isn't viable in this country in the winter in the evenings.
Working with what you've got, could you make something of your nights in? I can't imagine settling down to do a jigsaw with DH, but we often watch meaty box sets together over several months.

Startail Thu 06-Dec-12 19:41:11

DH an I's last "date" turned into fish and chips in the car at a local beauty spot and then a walk to the top to really appreciate the view.

Then we had to run back down and grab DC's from school.

Startail Thu 06-Dec-12 19:49:54

Mac Donald's, Costa coffee, walking hand in hand round the supermarket. Dh and I were still student's when we married so we never really did dates.

We lived in separate cities, so by the time I'd bought petrol or he'd bought a train ticket, wrapping up warm and going window shopping or to a local pretty place and just chatting was all the budget stretched to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now