Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Residual Parenting Commitments, The Last Turkey In The Shop, Boiled Bunnies, Men With Fish and Stolen Condoms. Dating Thread XXXI.

(1000 Posts)
FlorentinePogen Tue 04-Dec-12 19:49:03

Get on with it, daters.............smile

Movingforward123 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:49:25

whatdoes maybe give him a little more time, I don't think it's a terrible thing to say. But I have been put off by things before and freaked out. smile

WhatDoesTheDogSay Sat 08-Dec-12 12:49:41

moving, sounds like he's a real life vanisher. Maybe he's changed his mind, but doesn't have the balls to let you know, but whatever the reason it is indeed rude! Loser.

Thanks, lulu, I do think he is probably just keen. But he's not even met me. So, in that respect, yes, it is too keen for me and is putting me right off!

WhatDoesTheDogSay Sat 08-Dec-12 12:55:28

x-posts 48 and moving.

48, I usually exchange numbers in order to speak to them before arranging a meeting. But, yes, it is an intrusion if they text too much or become over-familiar. I think the latter is what's going on here...

moving, giving him a little more time would be the fairest thing. I am glad you understand my freaked-out feeling, even though it's not due to anything major.

Movingforward123 Sat 08-Dec-12 12:59:39

Yea it is so rude, I just don't get why he keeps asking me to go out if he doesn't want to? confused and it's worse coz my sister is involved and his family as they are neighbours!

I feel like texting him to say his rude! Bug I don't wana seem like a stalker! grin

48howdidthathappen Sat 08-Dec-12 13:07:23

moving maybe text him to say you can't make it after all. Saves face alround hmm

Movingforward123 Sat 08-Dec-12 13:09:37

Do you think I should? Or do you think that looks too obvious?? As desperate?

God I hate this kind of thing!!

48howdidthathappen Sat 08-Dec-12 13:14:40

Just think with your family involved maybe? You will have been polite and upfront.

Its a bloody minefield!

MasamiAomame Sat 08-Dec-12 13:27:12

Hi everyone, I'm new to the thread and new to dating! I signed up to OKCupid last week, I wasn't expecting much given that I'm unemployed and living with my parents in the back of beyond countryside but I was contacted by someone who sounds great and we're going for a drink tomorrow afternoon! I'm meeting friends for dinner in the evening so I've got an excuse to leave if it doesn't go well and I'm looking forward to it, though I'm despairing at my limited wardrobe at the moment...

48howdidthathappen Sat 08-Dec-12 13:28:06

Hope someone else has some advice. I seem pretty good at my own fuck ups grin

DeanMartinx Sat 08-Dec-12 13:49:27

Thanks again for your advice.

I take your point, natureslaw about the difference between a holiday romance and a real romance in the cold light of day.

Writing out my story and looking at your response has helped me to clarify in my mind that I must do something.

I have decided that I will call Daughter and chat to her - I have ongoing stuff with her which gives me the reason to call. With the eight hour time difference, I will call her tonight.

Many thanks again.

Poppy the first hmm for me was the fact that he told you he had a merc, then the number plate thing. That's why I asked how he had mentioned it. There are lots of cash rich mind poor men our age out there, some of them think they are entitled to whatever and whom ever. You can do better than him.

Snapespeare Sat 08-Dec-12 14:16:01

Drove past voldemort. Burst into tears.

Putting this down to dreadful hangover and Christmas stress.

Was out with lovely old friend who is in town for the weekend, drank too many cocktails, had a good moan about voldie (friend agrees he isn't being very kind) and showed old friend photos of Voldemort, so it was all a bit refreshed.

sad

All the way to sodding IKEA for 'any -tree - for £25 and a £20 voucher and Croydon is the only IKEA in the world not participating. sad fed up with Xmas already. Dreading the ex being here. Dreading it. sad

<waves half-heartedly at thread>

OneMoreGo Sat 08-Dec-12 14:45:05

<delurks> Ah snape, this is a shit time of year for all this <gestures vaguely in the direction of twatface voldie>. It will get easier after the new year, promise.

I have been there and did find that moaning about them to others, although cathartic, does bring up lots of stuff and make me sad sad Chin up pet, you are fab and will find someone deserving of your fabness in due course. <relurks>

Wickaninnish Sat 08-Dec-12 14:53:03

Chin up snape this shitty year is almost over.

Just remember;

Learn from the past
Live for today
Hope for tomorrow

All the good things are ahead of you. When the now is too dismal to face just bury yourself in plans for what you want that tomorrow to look like !!

ike1 Sat 08-Dec-12 15:43:01

Ah Snape I really understand..personally 2nd Jan 2013 cant roll aroud quick enuff for me! I still really miss my ex H and this will be the 3rd xmas without him. Lets just grit our teeth en masse and get through as best we can shutters up, heads down...

48howdidthathappen Sat 08-Dec-12 16:01:40

snape Life can be so shit. You must be due for good stuff smile

OhWesternWind Sat 08-Dec-12 16:03:15

Dean wishing you lots of good luck.

Poppy there are a lot of alarm bells ringing about Mr Merc. Tread very carefully and if you're not happy then move on.

Masami hope all goes well tomorrow. Loo update?

Snape, Ike hugs and sympathy. Roll on 2013!!

Still feeling pretty cockahoop today. Hadn't really appreciated how much the situation with the ex was preying on my mind.

ike1 Sat 08-Dec-12 16:08:33

oww its gonna have been a right strain what a fucker he was!

NanFucker Sat 08-Dec-12 17:24:06

can't believe Bant ignored my offer sad

Is it my nn? I'm incognito for x factor, I don't really, well you know...

Snape, chin up poppet xx Have you thought about using etsy to sell your beautiful art? If you want to give it a go give me a shout on fb and I'll talk you through it smile

lubeybooby Sat 08-Dec-12 17:26:31

Aw snape sad

I had a nice night last night with #1FWB

But BC is now officially gorn and I feel rather crap

hoopieghirl Sat 08-Dec-12 17:27:00

Long time lurker finally coming out of hiding!! Been seperated for several months now and dipping my toe in OD got a date tonight both excited and nervous x

OhWesternWind Sat 08-Dec-12 17:31:21

Is this your first date Hoopie?

Snapespeare Sat 08-Dec-12 17:38:40

Slightly concerned that I have a fb friend who is called nanfucker smile

Hadn't thought of etsy... To be honest haven't lifted a paintbrush since I finished the notebook. Should really make an effort. sad

Hello Hoopie how exciting! smile

WhatDoesTheDogSay Sat 08-Dec-12 17:38:57

nanfucker, I recognise you smile! Can see why your nn might be off putting for anyone who hasn't seen you on X factor thread, though. (I have lost touch completely, not watched for a couple of weeks).

48howdidthathappen Sat 08-Dec-12 17:40:13

Hi hoopie Details grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.